1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GApps, gmail, market, calendar - problem

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Alltraders, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Alltraders

Alltraders Lurker

I have access to several new Android 2.1 phones.

The first was setup with a gmail account as the primary account. Then added two GApps accounts. The android market works and email works but calendar only works for the gmail account. There is no way to sync additional calendars (its not even an option) in account setup for any account but the primary account.

The second phone was setup with a Google Apps account as the primary account. A second GApps account was added and a gmail account. The android market is available but nothing will download. The Talk application shows that the primary GApps account is signed in. The Calendar app is now limited to the primary GApps account and ignores other accounts calendars.

I am a company owner and having multiple accounts is necessary. The Email application works well in both scenarios.

Does anyone know how to get the market to work if gmail is not the primary account?

Does anyone know how to sync more than one calendar?

Does anyone know how any other way around this?

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Hello alltraders.

Unfortunately, Gmail is required for Market app downloading, as it is for AppBrain, a great alternative but still Gmail based.

Some users set up a non-used, "dummy" Gmail account just for the purpose of using Market.

Unless you're using a 3rd party calendar, such as from Market, which specializes in creation of more than one syncing calendar, you'd have to have separate Gmail accounts tied to each calendar for syncing. Something I've seen done, but which I would not do myself or recommend, as Gmail is wiggy enough on one syncing account and prone to inconsistency as it is.

Alltraders likes this.
  3. Alltraders

Alltraders Lurker

hi and thank you for your response. I have since learned more and have mostly bypassed the issues.

Android 2.1 is limited to syncing one calendar but Android 2.2 is not. I'll upgrade when my phone carrier lets.

A gmail account is needed for the market. However, Google are in the process of upgrading Google Apps accounts to merge with users gmail accounts. Once merged the phones can be setup using Google Apps and then the market still works.

4. fangorious

fangorious Guest

The market doesn't require a gmail address. I've always used an Apps domain as my primary and it was only ever a minor issue for purchasing apps. Free ones all downloaded just fine. For purchasing apps I had to add a secondary gmail account for the Checkout transaction (the receipt was emailed to the gmail account), but the purchase itself (ie the license) associates with the primary (Apps) account. I verified this by wiping the phone, signing only the Apps domain account, and going into the market to re-download my purchased apps and there wasn't an issue. Now that Google is migrating Apps domains to the unified services all those Apps vs Gmail differences are a thing of the past for me. I went from 1.6 to 2.2 so I can't comment on what might be a 2.1 vs 2.2 issue.

I don't think you can subscribe to other peoples calendars in the Android app, but in your desktop browser you can subscribe to all the extra calendars you have access to, then adding that one account on the phone you will be able to sync those calendars thru the one account. Or you can add each account to the phone individually and enable calendar sync for each.

5. Alltraders

Alltraders Lurker

The Market requires either a gmail account or an upgraded Google Apps account (which has a merged gmail account). Without it, none of my three company phones could download applications. Once I merged one of my company Google Apps accounts with my gmail account I could download successfully.

This has gotten further complicated though. Although free downloads are working, items that I have paid for via Google Checkout (confirmed payments) are not downloading. Within the market app, the items are showing as purchased and clicking on them lets me choose to download them, however they are not downloading. I am not certain this is related but I believe it probably is.

UPDATE: after 24hrs and a reboot, all downloads are working again.