• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Gay Androids" at Pride Parade Chicago

Personally, I don't think any company should support either ... "team". Just. Big ole' con of worms IMO

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Then we should stop supporting affirmative action-type floats and such in other parades too...It's the same difference. Gays are a marginalized minority.

Glad to see the good discussion - google has always been cutting edge.

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't think any company should support either ... "team". Just. Big ole' con of worms IMO

Then we should stop supporting affirmative action-type floats and such in other parades too...It's the same difference. Gays are a marginalized minority.

Glad to see the good discussion - google has always been cutting edge.

I think affirmative action should be nixed altogether. Its a bunch of racist crap the thrives on mistakes ancestors made over 100 years ago, and has nothing to do with the people of today.

Reactions: G.Armour
Upvote 0
I also dislike AA. I want to be hired due to my abilities, not because I am Spanish.

That's exactly how I see it. Also do away with credit checks too... unless your going to work for a bank or similar handling high volumes of money. What does financial past have to do with employment screening? Not to mention every credit check actually damages your credit report too. Same applies for salary history. Wtf do they need to know that for?

People should be hired based soley on employment history(recent), job training, special skills, education, and experience. Anything else is just uncalled for and irrelevant.

Upvote 0
That's awesome! Just one more reason why I support Google and Android.

Cracks me up that some people would be upset that the employer would even out the paychecks for someone who is being over taxed. It was okay for that employee to be paid less because of their sexuality, but it's not okay for the employer to even it out so their paychecks are commensurate with their co-workers.

Upvote 0
That's awesome! Just one more reason why I support Google and Android.

Cracks me up that some people would be upset that the employer would even out the paychecks for someone who is being over taxed. It was okay for that employee to be paid less because of their sexuality, but it's not okay for the employer to even it out so their paychecks are commensurate with their co-workers.

Someone always needs to have a problem about something, it's the American way ;)

Upvote 0
We're drifting off-topic here folks.... ;)

No we're not.

Yes we are. The topic is not tax breaks, credit checks, or whether so-called "affirmative action" is right.

Personally, I think it's great that Google (one of the most recognised brands in the world) are showing support for the LGBT community. A few more forward-looking corporations following suit might just begin to challenge the last remaining deep-seated prejudices left.

Upvote 0
I think it's great that Google (one of the most recognised brands in the world) is showing support for the LGBT community.

A few more forward-looking corporations following suit might just begin to challenge the last remaining deep-seated prejudices left.

Indeed, yes.

To me that progress is at least partially rooted in gays who work for those companies being able to express their orientation the same ways we straights do, as couples and families.

Once that happens on a large scale it will seem silly to assume that corporations are heterosexual and thus when they have a float in a gay pride parade they are reaching out to the gay community; it'll just be open minded people having fun at another of many parades that go on everywhere.

Upvote 0
Yes we are. The topic is not tax breaks, credit checks, or whether so-called "affirmative action" is right.

Personally, I think it's great that Google (one of the most recognised brands in the world) are showing support for the LGBT community. A few more forward-looking corporations following suit might just begin to challenge the last remaining deep-seated prejudices left.

It was a joke homeslice. Chill to the max yo'.

Upvote 0
Indeed, yes.

To me that progress is at least partially rooted in gays who work for those companies being able to express their orientation the same ways we straights do, as couples and families.
I leave my personal life at home, along with my sexual preference. I think if more people did this there would be far less problems. But maybe I'm too old school eh sonny?

Upvote 0
I leave my personal life at home, along with my sexual preference. I think if more people did this there would be far less problems. But maybe I'm too old school eh sonny?

Nobody leaves their personal life at home completely; that's an illusion.

But if you're pretending to leave it at home, and you're homosexual and living with a partner who may become in need of health care via your insurance from work, you're out of luck, or rather, he is. Unless you happen to work for one of the companies in one of the states where they've passed legislation granting those rights to same sex couples.

Upvote 0
I leave my personal life at home, along with my sexual preference. I think if more people did this there would be far less problems. But maybe I'm too

Nobody leaves their personal life at home completely; that's an illusion.

But if you're pretending to leave it at home, and you're homosexual and living with a partner who may become in need of health care via your insurance from work, you're out of luck, or rather, he is. Unless you happen to work for one of the companies in one of the states where they've passed legislation granting those rights to same sex couples.
I understand what he is saying though.. I mean as far as in the work place, sexual preference or anything of that nature should be left at home.. IMO there is no difference in a gay guy or girl coming into a work place and flaunting it and a womanizer coming in and doing that.. both can be considered inappropriate work behavior.
And I'm gonna vent for just a sec.. I have nothing against anyone and I believe that whatever you do is your business and it's your life.. but, what is the point in a gay pride parade, gay pride day, or anything of that nature? Reason why I ask is because I'm straight and there is no straight day to celebrate my sexual preferance, oh no, and if there was, I think ppl would think it to be wrong, or ppl would be thinking its pointless.. I don't get it.. if your gay, your gay, I get it.. but why do you have to go out and have to have stuff of this nature? I have my own thoughts of why, but I'm afraid if I go into to much detail, I'm gonna get in trouble, so I ain't gonna.. but that's just my opinion .. take it or leave it, it don't matter to me..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Companies getting involved in carnivals is fine, it's advertising at the end of the day, and if there's a business case to be made for marketing through a Gay Pride event I can see the point... but corporate sponsorship of a specific group, based on sexual preference just doesn't make sense to me???

Maybe it's not shown in the photos, and there was a visible point to this parade other than just having fun and raising awareness of Google, but I see no anti-discrimination placards protesting inequality, or valid protests at all,just celebration of pride in homosexuality.

I'm totally for equality, even though I recognise it's not always actually possible, it should be in the spirit of that goal under which all laws(and hopefully personal actions) are both based and judged by.

The tax inequality is ludicrous, and should be challenged and addressed; but I don't think it's particularly helpful for private companies to go about addressing that problem in this fashion (paying some employees taxes, based on specific sexual preferences).

Reactions: 3devious and IOWA
Upvote 0
I understand what he is saying though.. I mean as far as in the work place, sexual preference or anything of that nature should be left at home.. IMO there is no difference in a gay guy or girl coming into a work place and flaunting it and a womanizer coming in and doing that.. both can be considered inappropriate work behavior.
And I'm gonna vent for just a sec.. I have nothing against anyone and I believe that whatever you do is your business and it's your life.. but, what is the point in a gay pride parade, gay pride day, or anything of that nature? Reason why I ask is because I'm straight and there is no straight day to celebrate my sexual preferance, oh no, and if there was, I think ppl would think it to be wrong, or ppl would be thinking its pointless.. I don't get it.. if your gay, your gay, I get it.. but why do you have to go out and have to have stuff of this nature? I have my own thoughts of why, but I'm afraid if I go into to much detail, I'm gonna get in trouble, so I ain't gonna.. but that's just my opinion .. take it or leave it, it don't matter to me..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Those of us who are heterosexual have no need to hide that sexual orientation. Gays have had to do just that in the western world and many other places for fear of life and limb.

Once gays began to come out, and I'm not sure what caused it and I'm sure that is complicated, they began to get together as a group, a community, and make it known publicly that its ok to be gay.

One of the ways they reach out to one another is with public display of their pride at being who they are instead of having to pretend like they are heterosexual for their financial and even physical survival.

For heterosexuals to demand that homosexuals leave their orientation at home seems fair enough, unless one comes to the understanding that to gays "leaving who I am at home" is to become somebody else "for them, for survival" and is to go back to the days of hiding just so they can have a job as readily as their straight counterparts, employment being just one sad example of discrimination.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones