1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support GB bug or Casio bug? Secure wifi freezes phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by defect, Jan 10, 2012.

1. defect

defect Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Hey folks. Trying to learn if anyone else has experienced this. My Casio Commando connected to University secure wifi no problem with Froyo but after the GB update, if I turn on wifi at University, the phone totally freezes, black screen, only a battery pull (out in the parking lot, out of range of wifi so I can turn wifi off again) can restore functionality. It happens if I try to connect to either the secure network, or the one that uses an authentication portal, whereas on 2.2.1 I could connect to both with no problems. An alternative outcome is that I can press the widget button to toggle off wifi and the button itself becomes de-illuminated, but the bar at the bottom of the button forever remains illuminated. A visit to "wifi settings" then freezes the phone as above. Sometimes it prompts to force close "wifi settings" but this is not effective.

I got Verizon to mail a replacement, but the new one behaves exactly the same, so it's some sort of software issue I guess with one of the last couple updates with how the wireless network is interacting with the phone.

Would love to know if anyone knows where to begin a search for solutions.

Advertisement

2. defect

defect Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    This is extremely frustrating. If I have even the slightest signal from University wifi it connects and eventually freezes. Any attempt to turn off wifi will freeze it. I currently have both my phone and verizon replacement in my possession and both are behaving the same.

Is there anyone who is able to connect Gingerbread Commando to wireless network using 802.1X authentication and WPA2 Enterprise? I am very curious.

3. john58ford

john58ford Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Electronics Technician/USCG
    Michigan
    I use 2 different Wpa2 secured routers with different networks/purposes at home. Both are auto generated 128 passwords and they work flawlessly. On the new phone you got did you add any apps before experiencing your problem? I have personally experienced it once myself caused by slacker cache auto update Wifi only mode. And my wife's X2 had an issue caused by a book program configured to do the same. Also try disabling google location services or juice defender auto learn.

Good luck,
    John

4. defect

defect Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. As I said, I don't know a lot about this stuff but I think enterprise and 802.1X are different than the average home secured wifi. Only two apps I put on the new phone before attempting to connect were Alarm Clock Plus and Clockq widget. I highly doubt either of those would be culprit, but I may remove them and see if there is any change. University OIT has been unresponsive so far.