• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GB differences

cjcross22

Android Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2011
This may have already been stated, forgive me if it has but...

I was in the VZW store today checking out all the new phones and I noticed the DX has the same GB appearance as the DX2. They look the same but some parts are different from our version.. like the apps drawer icon, the 3G icon and a lot of the apps in the app drawer are different too. There may be more difference but I didn't have long to stay..

So anyway, what gives? Why the differences? :thinking:

This may have already been stated, forgive me if it has but...

I was in the VZW store today checking out all the new phones and I noticed the DX has the same GB appearance as the DX2. They look the same but some parts are different from our version.. like the apps drawer icon, the 3G icon and a lot of the apps in the app drawer are different too. There may be more difference but I didn't have long to stay..

So anyway, what gives? Why the differences? :thinking:

The DX is on GB, the Dx2 is on Froyo with gingerblur. We're ahead of their OS, they're quite a bit faster than we are and have a better screen resolution.

Upvote 0
I guess I should of emphasized a little more..

I know the DX2 is different... my question is why is the OG DX they have in stores different as well.

But if the DX2 is running Froyo with Gingerblur then the DX they have in stores has to be running the same thing, it looks identical...

I was just curious as to why the OTA GB differs from what they have in stores.

Upvote 0
It may LOOK identical, but it's not. They are on froyo with gingerblur, and we are on gingerbread with gingerblur. They LOOK alike in theming, but the foundation is not.

Alright I gotcha, any idea as to why they flash a different "theme" on the brand new X's?

I kind of liked how it looked and wouldn't mind getting a hold of it. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones