• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GB on HOLD!! Time for us unrooted chickens to root?????

Don't worry about it. This kind of article means nothing. Debbie either has her dates wrong or is using copy from last month. Q2 has been over for 3 weeks already. The rep has no real inside knowledge (or he wouldn't be including it in an email) and it sounds like he may be confusing GB with MR1. Droid Life just trying to drum up site traffic. We do know that the leaked ROMs are very stable and we weren't really expecting an official GB update until the end of the summer anyway. Back in March, we were expecting GB by the end of Q2, but there have been more pressing problems with the radio (not GB) since then.

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0
I personally would root. But my opinion may be biased. :D

If you're expecting a different look or feel from the gb ota,you're going to be somewhat disappointed. Custom roms will let you run a variety of UIs,from sense 3.0 ports,to pure unmolested AOSP.

Just my 2 cents :)

Almost forgot... gb is in stage 2 of its testing at HTC. I'd ignore that article,its just around the corner.

Upvote 0
Ya know, I hate to generalize but speaking purely from experience, most of these angry people barking on and on about gb updates are either frustrated with their phone and are looking for gb to solve every single issue they have (which it wont) or they literally have no idea what they're talking about and are merely dripping with envy hearing about their friend having the latest software version on their phone. To which, if you're that God damn shallow maybe you should just sell a new body part on the black market every few months to afford a brand spankin new phone that already has the update on it. But by the time 5.0 comes out and your envy is overflowing to the point you can't contain yourself, you wont have a hand left to hold a new phone with. So what's the point?

It needs to be said, recycled and puked out again verbatim : buy your phone for what it is, not promises of what it will be

If HTC and Verizon pooped out a half assed update quicker you wouldn't be happy. If they wait a while to perfect it you wont be happy. So what's the point in waiting? Ditch the phone and live life with an everyday flip phone without worry of impending updates

Upvote 0
I personally feel a need to root my phone but if you are someone who is going to root then just do nothing with root except accept the ota and wonder why it f-ed up your phone then you should just stay stock. If you can't commit to reading a few threads to know what you are doing when flashing a rom or radio you should stay stock. It doesn't take a extremely intelligent person or a computer engineer to root and flash successfully but you need yo commit to reading a little info so you don't screw up.

Im not telling anyone not to root ok saying educate yourself with what is available so you know what you are getting into

Reactions: Ibrick
Upvote 0
I hesitated at first when I thought about rooting my phone, mostly because I canceled my FIOS and thus the phone is all I use for internet, yes I know rooting with the phone as my only means is just asking for trouble (hence the reason I hesitated), but I can say that the risks were definitely worth the rewards, especially since Verizon put a squash on Wifi and Tethering with their updates.

If you have access to internet outside of your phone then you're at a definite advantage since you can always get online and research if you have any problems with rooting your phone. It's much easier than it sounds, you just have to pay attention to what you're doing.

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0
I personally feel a need to root my phone but if you are someone who is going to root then just do nothing with root except accept the ota and wonder why it f-ed up your phone then you should just stay stock. If you can't commit to reading a few threads to know what you are doing when flashing a rom or radio you should stay stock. It doesn't take a extremely intelligent person or a computer engineer to root and flash successfully but you need yo commit to reading a little info so you don't screw up.

Im not telling anyone not to root ok saying educate yourself with what is available so you know what you are getting into

I think a lot of people root not just to put custom ROMS on or different kernels, but to use other wireless tethering apps and to remove bloatware from the carrier and manufacture. But you are correct, reading up on different things before or after rooting is very helpful.

Also everyone should feel free to ask questions, stuff can be confusing and androidforums.com to me is the perfect place to ask them. You have great people from regular users to guides to mods that are extremely helpful and kind.

The more knowledge someone has the better off they will be.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
My understanding was that the article just appeared like yesterday - the last I heard was the GB was a go - maybe sometime this week. If that's the case - I (and others) need to make up our minds about rooting - sooner - rather than later. . .

I just rechecked the link - and it was updated yesterday. Someone did have this comment:

Rooting will help the phone's battery life, google up "htc thunderbolt one click root" and it's a simple to use program for windows pc. there is nothing easier you can find to root with than this. it just takes about 20-30 mins to complete but it's stupid easy.

you can even look up how to do it on youtube. You have to be rooted to get rid of Blockbuster.apk and the other verizon bloatware. By default those files are in "R/O read only" mode. Being rooted allows you to mount your thunderbolt's file system into "R/W read write" mode allowing you to delete the unwanted .apk's and .obex's.Rooting will help the phone's battery life, google up "htc thunderbolt one click root" and it's a simple to use program for windows pc. there is nothing easier you can find to root with than this. it just takes about 20-30 mins to complete but it's stupid easy.

you can even look up how to do it on youtube. You have to be rooted to get rid of Blockbuster.apk and the other verizon bloatware. By default those files are in "R/O read only" mode. Being rooted allows you to mount your thunderbolt's file system into "R/W read write" mode allowing you to delete the unwanted .apk's and .obex's.

Upvote 0
IMO, Rooting should have occurred the day it became available :)

There's no reason NOT to root.

No good reason, at least.

There are a few reasons:

No access to a computer
Do not want to brick phone
Do not want to void warranty
Technical prowess not sufficient
No time

I have the time personally, just no computer. This Is the primary phone and internet access in my home. I can't risk bricking it, and cannot afford a replacement.

I'm not impatient for GB though. I like the Bolt as-is. Extended battery makes the battery life better than a rooted phone. Less hassle too.

Reactions: ekyle
Upvote 0
nothing wrong with not rooting,but just an FYI on a couple of things...

I have the time personally, just no computer. This Is the primary phone and internet access in my home. I can't risk bricking it, and cannot afford a replacement. the risk is actually very small-slim to none if you can follow directions and make sure the outputs match where the guide tells you they need to match-in particular step 6 of the guide where writing the s-off bootloader. while rooting technically voids your warrantly,its easy to unroot if you do ever have an issue. the chances of rooting messing up your phone,or keeping you from getting a replacement in the event of hardware failure are slim to none.

if you can find a computer with high speed,its not so bad- you just need some time to download the small exploits file,and the 2 huge RUU files needed for rooting. the process seems scary,but it really isnt so bad :)

I'm not impatient for GB though. I like the Bolt as-is. Extended battery makes the battery life better than a rooted phone. Less hassle too.[/QUOTE]

im glad youre not impatient- as GB contains some enhancements for performance,but the sense UI is the same and your phone is not going to look or feel any different.

the gain you got from swapping to the ext battery can be bettered(is that even a word?! :eek:) with a rooted device,especially if youre not a sense fan. running "de-sensed" froyo roms,or AOSP gingerbread and dramatically increase battery life over a stock device.

again,not criticising,rooting is not for everyone,just a couple of FYIs :)

Upvote 0
it contains subtle changes to enhance performance and battery life. most noticabley,its alot smarter in killing off unneeded background services and processes.

just like updating java or something on your PC- you wont always know what the update did,or see a difference,but you do it because you know it must be at leas a little better in some way.

but you are right in that the sense ui will be the same one we have now,and the differences while using the device are not going to jump out at you and smack you in the face ;)

thats one way its better to be rooted. you have options then for eye candy- from sense 3.0 ports,to evo 3D ports with working 3d widgets,to unmolested AOSP android.

if youre hoping for eye candy or someting visually different,youll be extremely disapointed with the GB OTA :eek:

Upvote 0
what's the big deal about Gingerbread anyway?

do these people who are dying for it even know?

i've had both, and it's NOT life changing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and with sense overlayed and unrooted there's virtually not difference in feel/look. I just laugh at all these people waiting so intensely knowing when they get it there phone is going to be virtually just like it is now save a few google apps designed to run on GB.

Upvote 0
and with sense overlayed and unrooted there's virtually not difference in feel/look. I just laugh at all these people waiting so intensely knowing when they get it there phone is going to be virtually just like it is now save a few google apps designed to run on GB.

I'm not trying to be a wisea$$ (that comes naturally), but - arent there ROMS available with Sense 3.0) and wasn't there "preceived improvements) between Sense 2.0, and 3.0???

If anyone can comment to the differences - or post a link to them - that might be helpful.

TIA!!

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to be a wisea$$ (that comes naturally), but - arent there ROMS available with Sense 3.0) and wasn't there "preceived improvements) between Sense 2.0, and 3.0???

If anyone can comment to the differences - or post a link to them - that might be helpful.

TIA!!

a) the Sense aspect of the rom upgrades are far more noticeable than the OS upgrade (froyo to gingerbread). Your mixing up a Sense update with the android update. Sense 2.1 that comes with the update wont be anything like sense 3.0. The Devs (or user) also change the kernel, overclock, remove bloat, modify apks and scripts to futher boost performance which would yeild performance boost that OTA updates (even if it did come with 3.0 which it wont) will not yeild.

b) sense 3.0 is all eye candy. It doesn't perform any better than a Tbolt with Sense 2.1 and GB, probably worse. Alot of the sense widgets are nicer to look at, it has a "cube" scroll (which is old news for anyone who used LP or ADWex), a useless but fun to look at carousel effect fast scroll and the lockscreen is hot but again non of this makes it run any better. All this just eats up RAM and CPU resources. In fact I think I'm done using Sense roms altogether. the last time I reverted back (a day or two ago) I couldn't wait to get back to AOPS based roms. For the first time didn't miss the eye candy at all.

Upvote 0
I THOUGHT that there were roms out with SENSE 3.0 was available if you were rooted?

There are and those who want a little more performance/smoothness over more eye candy skip them and use sense 2.1/GB roms. Those who can live without sense (for some reason many cant give up the flip clock and widgets) and want the best possible performance choose roms based on AOSP or Desensitized as much as possible. None of this has anything to do with OTA's. If we are talking root there is no need for this thread.

Upvote 0
I THOUGHT that there were roms out with SENSE 3.0 was available if you were rooted?

Yes you are correct, there are also many people running roms with sense 2.1 that has elements from 3.0. My post was that while roms are out there with the features HTC will not have them in the official OTA so regardless if the eye candy is in a different version of sense if you are going to stay stock then you will not notice much of any difference when GB hits. The biggest reason people were wanting GB was because it was going to have netflix support and that has now been taken care of without needing GB. It would be interesting if anyone could point out any advantage of having the official OTA to GB compared to your phone with stock froyo since the last update. There will not be any that I can tell as HTC makes everything it's own, on a vanilla phone you would notice some slight differences but with no updated version of sense it will just be you are running 2.3.4 version of android if you look at the phone info in settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones