• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GB OTA has started

It looks like the OTA has started. Just finished updating wife's and mine TB after a manual check

so looks like my push prediction was wrong :p

I updated about an hour ago, after all this talk, I feel like the GB update was kinda meaningless? What is so different?
visually hardly anything different. we have been saying this for months- no new sense,just an update to the OS. if you want eyecandy youll need to root so you can experience sense 3.0 or 3.5.

there are some worthwhile updates to the OS for better power management,and closing down unneeded apps and processes. you might say gingerbread is substantially smarter than froyo,so hopefully youll experience a slightly faster device and improved battery life. notice i said "slightly" your phone is still full of complex sense framework so keep that in mind ;)

OS improvements that you may or my not notice results of: yes
visial differences: no

sorry :(

Upvote 0
so looks like my push prediction was wrong :p

visually hardly anything different. we have been saying this for months- no new sense,just an update to the OS. if you want eyecandy youll need to root so you can experience sense 3.0 or 3.5.

there are some worthwhile updates to the OS for better power management,and closing down unneeded apps and processes. you might say gingerbread is substantially smarter than froyo,so hopefully youll experience a slightly faster device and improved battery life. notice i said "slightly" your phone is still full of complex sense framework so keep that in mind ;)

OS improvements that you may or my not notice results of: yes
visial differences: no

sorry :(
Scotty can we still talk and surf @ the same time on 3g/4g?? I love this about the TB. Not sure, but I think besides the att Iphone it is the only smart phone with that capability. Correct me if I am wrong, Please. My wife tried it with the Dinc1, but it said she needed wi-fi to complete that task. I was happy about that because she received GB B4 I did. When talking I or should I say we (the Thunderbolt fam) can talk and watch movies, videos, download whatever etc.simultaneously. Whomever gets to read this 1st and have updated, could U try it and then report back. I want to know I am still able to do this B4 considering updating. Remembering when last I updated I lost the the free Hot Spot. Hoping to not lose yet another great feature. Thanks a bunch...

Upvote 0
I did the OTA early this morning...but I don't understand this either?! Where is the new UI, etc that was listed on VW yesterday saying what all was going to be included? Should I be concerned that I accepted the OTA? I'm not getting notification of new voicemails this morning...please help - is there a way to remove this and go back to how my phone was before I accepted the OTA?

Upvote 0
Just finished downloading - Detroit area. Tell me again what this update is supposed to do for me?

well, i said this above:

s

or you could read vzws update page,wich supposedly has disapeared(i havent checked) :eek:

Scotty can we still talk and surf @ the same time on 3g/4g?? I love this about the TB. Not sure, but I think besides the att Iphone it is the only smart phone with that capability. Correct me if I am wrong, Please. My wife tried it with the Dinc1, but it said she needed wi-fi to complete that task. I was happy about that because she received GB B4 I did. When talking I or should I say we (the Thunderbolt fam) can talk and watch movies, videos, download whatever etc.simultaneously. Whomever gets to read this 1st and have updated, could U try it and then report back. I want to know I am still able to do this B4 considering updating. Remembering when last I updated I lost the the free Hot Spot. Hoping to not lose yet another great feature. Thanks a bunch...

yup,we can talk and surf,same time :)

Reactions: dachillfx
Upvote 0
I did the OTA early this morning...but I don't understand this either?! Where is the new UI, etc that was listed on VW yesterday saying what all was going to be included? Should I be concerned that I accepted the OTA? I'm not getting notification of new voicemails this morning...please help - is there a way to remove this and go back to how my phone was before I accepted the OTA?

ok,everybody please pay attention: there is no new UI. i cant read the page now,but you must have misunderstood it.it may have said there were some "changes" to the ui,but it is the same sense 2.1 that weve always had,and we have been saying for months that it would not change. htc only updates the OS,never sense versions. they use new sense to entice you into new device.

sorry but if you want 3.0 or 3.5 eye candy,your best bet is to root.

no i dont believe you shoudl be concerned. the last leak ran quite well for me,its only real issues are gtalk and the VM notification bug. hang tight,im sure there will be patches and another "official" ota shortly.

it may be technical difficulties,it may be that someone flipped the switch before they should have. im sure before the end of the day more info will surface... keep eyeballs peeld on twitter and on the forums :)

as for going backwards to mr2,sorry,not without rooting. again,just be patient. you are still getting VMs,just not notifications and im sure a fix will appear soon. in the meantime... if you get a phone call... give it 5 min,then check to see if you have VM. thats what ive been doing on the leak sense roms and it works fantastically ;)

Upvote 0
gtalk im not 100% sure,but i think its just gtalk video. i *think* regular gtak works fine.

you are still able to recieve and check VM,you just wont get a notification till you reboot,and then the icon wont go away until you reboot again :eek:

but rest assured,you wont miss any important VMs

Upvote 0
Meh... A few 'visual' differences (mostly unimportant). New icon to get to the apps drawer (grid versus up arrow). Menu icons at the bottom of the apps drawer (all, favorite, downloaded, Verizon). Apps drawer now "pages" when you cycle through them. Yeah, and a bit more bloat.

Time will tell on the battery management.

Oh, and the Task widget finally loads... Woopeee.

Upvote 0
Could someone please clarify something for me... with the new update, does GTalk messenging not work at all? That is my primary messenging source and wont be updating if it "breaks" that app. Thanks guys.

Yes it works, however we were promised gtalk video capabilities with this upgrade and it is absent. That's why people are complaining.

Upvote 0
I woke up today and my phone is all.different. software says mecha?! I didn't approve an update!

Is this official or malicious?!

Does this pertain to the issue?

From Verizon
If the system update fails to install, you will get an error screen. However, this only means the software did not install properly. Remove and re-insert the battery and power the device back on. The device will power back on with original software and will prompt you once again to install the system update.
If the update fails again, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/contactus .

Upvote 0
gtalk im not 100% sure,but i think its just gtalk video. i *think* regular gtak works fine.

you are still able to recieve and check VM,you just wont get a notification till you reboot,and then the icon wont go away until you reboot again :eek:

but rest assured,you wont miss any important VMs

Just tested, no VM notification from a message I left myself 10+ minutes ago.

Upvote 0
Did my update just after midnight. Hello gingerbread, goodbye voicemail notification. :(

Also, did my workout this morning with sportstracker pro and was minus voice feedback. Checked my settings on this app., enabled voice feedback again, and was immediately taken to the market to download text to speech app. for android. Was wondering if anyone else noticed that this feature got removed with gingerbread and then had to manually install it again. (As far as I know, this was always stock on the t-bolt and never had to be manually installed). ??

Upvote 0
ok,everybody please pay attention: there is no new UI. i cant read the page now,but you must have misunderstood it.it may have said there were some "changes" to the ui,but it is the same sense 2.1 that weve always had,and we have been saying for months that it would not change. htc only updates the OS,never sense versions. they use new sense to entice you into new device.

sorry but if you want 3.0 or 3.5 eye candy,your best bet is to root.

no i dont believe you shoudl be concerned. the last leak ran quite well for me,its only real issues are gtalk and the VM notification bug. hang tight,im sure there will be patches and another "official" ota shortly.

it may be technical difficulties,it may be that someone flipped the switch before they should have. im sure before the end of the day more info will surface... keep eyeballs peeld on twitter and on the forums :)

as for going backwards to mr2,sorry,not without rooting. again,just be patient. you are still getting VMs,just not notifications and im sure a fix will appear soon. in the meantime... if you get a phone call... give it 5 min,then check to see if you have VM. thats what ive been doing on the leak sense roms and it works fantastically ;)

The Verizon page yesterday stated: "New Desktop User Interface" in the "Emhancements" list....guess I'm just confused? I'm just not seeing the changes...

Upvote 0
The Verizon page yesterday stated: "New Desktop User Interface" in the "Emhancements" list....guess I'm just confused? I'm just not seeing the changes...

im not sure what the changes were either,but they were not refering to a new sense version.

its understandable to have read it that way,but,unfortunately desktop UI does not=new sense. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones