1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root GB Rooting Adventures

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Droid Ninja, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Droid Ninja

Droid Ninja Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Scientist
    NJ
    Hello rooting community.

I am a root newbie so bear with me. I am going to attempt to install the rooted GB patch myself. Never done anything like this before so I am a little apprehensive. I am currently running stock froyo with an idiot proof Z4root.

I will be following a combination of the instructions I read in p3droid's page and a post from scary alien where he breaks it down a little better for beginners:

I have already downloaded Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part1 and Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part2 from the p3droid link. First question. Do I need to unzip them before I place them on the top level of the sdcard?

Next question. Where can I get Droid 2 Bootstrapper? It gets installed like any other app? When scary alien says "boot into recovery" does he mean just run the app and it will take me where I need to go? Then I assume its just a matter of finding the files on the sdcard and running part 1/2? Rebooting out of recovery is self explanatory I hope.

What is a Nandroid backup and how important of a step is it? Just a security measure?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/girls give. As I get some responses I will keep this thread updated as I continue my adventure.... or nightmare:eek:

Advertisement

2. bouchigo

bouchigo Android Expert
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    Production Engineer Mngr.
    Stockton, CA
    1. Do not unzip the files you downloaded.

2. Just do a google search, D2 bootstrapper is posted in a few places.

3. Yes, installed like any other app.

4. Yes, just run the app to get into recovery

5. Just find the files on your sd card, install part 1, then part 2 right after part 1 before rebooting.

6. A nandroid backup is just a backup of your current setup so you can restore it in case you mess something up.

scary alien, fyrmd and Droid Ninja like this.
  3. kidon

kidon Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    Before you start any of this, make sure you have a full batt.

No do NOT unzip the files. Almost all fliles you flash on your phone will be in a .zip format.

You can buy the Droid2Bootstrap app from the market or get it here . Before you open the app go to setting>applications> and check unkown sources. Then open the app and you'll see 2 options, bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery. First select bootstrap and after you get the OK then select reboot.

The nanodroid backup is very important. When ever you flash new software you always want to make a backup.

Once in recovery, using the volume up/down keys navigate to backup/restore and press the camara button. Then select backup and let it run (nanodroid backup). After the backup is complete, press the power button until you get to the first menu and select install .zip from SD card. Navigate to you 1 of the 2 files and flash it, then the same with the second.

Very important. Make sure you do not leave recovery until you flash both files.

*this part is optional, but I would recommend to prevent any problems*

Now press the power button until you get to the first menu again and select wipe data/cache.

After the wipe, press power until the first menu and select reboot..

scary alien, fyrmd and Droid Ninja like this.
  4. Droid Ninja

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Scientist
    NJ
    Awesome. Thanks guys. Gonna go for it right now. Stand by

5. Droid Ninja

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Scientist
    NJ
    Part 1 and 2 have been flashed. I am back at the first menu. Do I press "Wipe Data/Factory reset" or "Wipe cache partition"

I see Kidon mentioned a step about a wipe but bouchigo and scary alien did not ?_?

6. Droid Ninja

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Scientist
    NJ
    I did not do any wipe. I just rebooted and it worked. GB is running smooth as butter and I have root access so it was a success. Dunno what I was scared about. Whole process was pretty easy.

Thanks again to scary alien, kidon and bouchigo for all the useful info.

Maybe I will try to play with some custom roms now as my next adventure. Never done that before so I will prolly be asking for help again:p

kidon and scary alien like this.
  7. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Glad everything worked well for you Droid Ninja :).

I told you there were great guys out here that would help you out ;).

Thanks to all for helping Droid Ninja out.

Cheers!

8. kidon

kidon Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    Glad everything worked out!.

The wipe is just a precaution, not everyones phones are the same when flashing new software. The wipe is pretty is much a factory reset so the ROM has an option to boot fresh.

Make sure that now your on GB to do a nanodroid, just in case something you flash later doesn't work you have a back up.

9. Droid Ninja

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Scientist
    NJ

Done.

Thanks again everyone for the help.