• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GB Upate coming mid August...

you can ask any vzw store rep, and if you tell him you visit android forums on a daily basis and learn alot about your device, more so than not they will admitt we know more than they do about upcoming devices and what not, they just know exact dates, we know about the device before them, and we can get the month down, just not the date until we get a leaked roadmap

Upvote 0
OK, the dreaded fear has happened, and all I can say is that the fix BETTER be soon. Tried calling 911 from my Droid X today when an employee cut his thumb pretty good on a bandsaw. Got the same reponse I have gotten before and others also have. You hit send, and the call doesn't go out at all, just get a "call ended" with 00:00 minutes. This NEVER happened with Froyo! Had to run to a landline phone about 40 yards away to place the call. Motorola and Verizon are facing a real liability issue here and they need to fix this bug quickly! After that incident was handled, tried calling home with the same response from my phone. Had to power off and back on in order to place my call to home. This has happened TOO MANY times to my phone since the update and needs to be fixed. And that doesn't consider all the other bugs I have discovered and put up with since the update.

I have that happen to me every couple days. Not the needing to call 911, but losing cell connection for no reason, and having to reboot the phone to get it back. Happened the other day while I was at home texting a friend on Google Voice using 3G (I only use 3G now so I can easily tell when I lose cell connection, good thing I have unlimited data), and after a few minutes, of back and forth, it suddenly said "Unable to send message" and the 3G logo disappeared, the bars went from full strength and blue to no strength and white. And thins happened while I was sitting on my sofa not even moving. Ridiculous. And like you, I NEVER had this problem on FroYo, but get it constantly since the GB OTA. This has to be fixed.

Upvote 0
That's just another one of the problems I have encountered since the update. I often lose my 3g connection and am unable to send text messages until I reboot. Also frequently have the lighted buttons stay on VERY bright when I place it in the home dock. And, when I remove it from the home dock after I have either received a call, or listened to Pandora, or any other reason the speakerphone is turned on, it STAYS in speakerphone mode with the little icon stuck on until I reboot. I also get random reboots for no known reason. Hmmm, matter of fact, I just looked at my phone while sitting here typing, and it is currently in the mode with no 3g, even though I am sitting in the same easy chair I normally get a strong signal from. Just tried to send a text message and it was unable to send it. Time for a reboot. I also am experiencing many of the other problems that other users are having, but the inability to call out or text or send an email without rebooting drive me the craziest. I have put up with these problems and not raised much of a ruckus, but the 911 incident was the thing that put me over the edge.
While we were on vacation in Florida a few weeks ago, my wifes phone died (simple flip phone, no data or anything) and we had to go to a Verizon store to buy her a new phone. While at the counter, I asked the rep if he was hearing a lot of complaints about the Gingerbread update. He said "no, I haven't heard of any problems." Obviously he was lying to me because while wife and I were out on the sales floor picking out which phone she wanted (before we went to the counter to finalize the deal) I heard 2 other customers complaining to him about the problems they were having with the update. I didn't call him on the lie though, just told him that I was having a LOT of problems since the update.

Upvote 0
OK, the dreaded fear has happened, and all I can say is that the fix BETTER be soon. Tried calling 911 from my Droid X today when an employee cut his thumb pretty good on a bandsaw. Got the same reponse I have gotten before and others also have. You hit send, and the call doesn't go out at all, just get a "call ended" with 00:00 minutes. This NEVER happened with Froyo! Had to run to a landline phone about 40 yards away to place the call. Motorola and Verizon are facing a real liability issue here and they need to fix this bug quickly! After that incident was handled, tried calling home with the same response from my phone. Had to power off and back on in order to place my call to home. This has happened TOO MANY times to my phone since the update and needs to be fixed. And that doesn't consider all the other bugs I have discovered and put up with since the update.

This happens to my X every day since getting GB. Both Verizon and Motorola are legally on the hook for this liability for any damages that occur as a result of not being able to dial 911. It's *amazing* that they haven't recalled all Xs with GB. This could literally kill someone. And since they know about it, and are not taking immediate action, they are liable for punitive damages as well.

Upvote 0
I really hate to modify my phone from stock. Plus, not real sure how to do it. (I know I could read here the exact way to sbf back, but then my phone would probably want to upgrade again anyway, and I don't want to root my phone either) I guess the point is, this is a known and often mentioned problem, and Verizon and Motorola need to fix this ASAP.

Sbf would not change your phone from stock, so no need to to root it if you do not want to. It takes 10-15 min if you can follow directions its very easy.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I am wrong, but cm7 is essentially Gingerbread-right? I recently put cm7 on my nook color and I am happy with it. I am still stock on my Dx, and from what I have read, I don't think I want the upgrade.

From what I can gather, rooting to cm7 would mean I lose motoblur, Motorola's widgets, and all of the pre-installed apps-right? I use QuickOffice daily, so that would force me to buy the full version. My biggest concern would be losing Swype.

That is inconvenient, but not the end of the world. Did I leave anything out?

Upvote 0
Correct me if I am wrong, but cm7 is essentially Gingerbread-right? I recently put cm7 on my nook color and I am happy with it. I am still stock on my Dx, and from what I have read, I don't think I want the upgrade.

From what I can gather, rooting to cm7 would mean I lose motoblur, Motorola's widgets, and all of the pre-installed apps-right? I use QuickOffice daily, so that would force me to buy the full version. My biggest concern would be losing Swype.

That is inconvenient, but not the end of the world. Did I leave anything out?

Unless things have changed a lot in the past couple of weeks, CM7 was built around Froyo build with things stripped out and other goodies added. Could be wring but that was the case when I tried it out a few weeks ago.

Upvote 0
This happens to my X every day since getting GB. Both Verizon and Motorola are legally on the hook for this liability for any damages that occur as a result of not being able to dial 911. It's *amazing* that they haven't recalled all Xs with GB. This could literally kill someone. And since they know about it, and are not taking immediate action, they are liable for punitive damages as well.

I started a thread in the Root Forum about this because I have it happen all the time, as does my husband with a DX. I've had this problem on multiple ROMs as well. From what I've gathered, it has to do with the radio upgrade in GB, the Froyo radio build is .07p and the GB radio build is .12p. It's the latter that is problematic. Sometimes, I'll notice that both husband's DX and mine will have the same problem at exactly the same time even though we're running different ROM's. Other times, it's one or the other phone that has the problem. But I agree, it really needs to be addressed. I have a serious medical condition that puts me at risk of dying w/o immediate medical intervention and we can't NOT be able to place a call when that happens. For the monthly fees we all pay, having a phone that's actually a working phone, is pretty much mandatory for all of us.

Upvote 0
The good news is that Verizon support and Motorola have acknowledged it and are expecting it to be ready in mid-August.
We have forwarded your information to Motorola. They were able to duplicate the issue on their end.
As of 7/29/11 we have learned that it will be corrected with MR6 update. At this point, a target release date for this update is mid-August.
As soon as more information becomes available, we will be sure to post it here.
In the interim, if are turning the device off to avoid notification tones during your slumber, you may want to put the device on silent until we get the resolution.
TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
Good news, right? Mid-August is really only a week or two away, so be on the lookout.

Cheers!!

Upvote 0
I started a thread in the Root Forum about this because I have it happen all the time, as does my husband with a DX. I've had this problem on multiple ROMs as well. From what I've gathered, it has to do with the radio upgrade in GB, the Froyo radio build is .07p and the GB radio build is .12p. It's the latter that is problematic. Sometimes, I'll notice that both husband's DX and mine will have the same problem at exactly the same time even though we're running different ROM's. Other times, it's one or the other phone that has the problem. But I agree, it really needs to be addressed. I have a serious medical condition that puts me at risk of dying w/o immediate medical intervention and we can't NOT be able to place a call when that happens. For the monthly fees we all pay, having a phone that's actually a working phone, is pretty much mandatory for all of us.

I SBFed back to Froyo 2 days ago. With rsdlite it was really simple. Took about 10 minutes. So far I've had zero issues after going back to Froyo.

Verizon and Motorola really screwed up this time with GB for the X :(

Upvote 0
that was actually never the case...CM7 is 100% Gingerbread

I concur with this statement. The system files are Gingerbread. The kernel being used is the same kernel that was used for Froyo. The kernel itself doesn't fall into the 'sweet dessert' naming convention. It's just a piece of software. The hardware OEM may make tweaks to the kernel with each software release though. For example, stock GB has the bright LEDs and Froyo does not.

Upvote 0

I have no problems with GB at all, its great. How many people are NOT having any problems with GB? I need to see a poll on this

Upvote 0
If it's that serious, perhaps you should look into alternative communication devices. No cell network is going to be reliable in all instances and locations. Relying on a cell network for something like this is just stupid.

Yeah, expecting your phone to work all the time is just silly. Sure, it cost $300 to buy and $100 a month to have, but what are you thinking, expecting solid, uninterrupted service.

Next thing you know, you'll want your car to stop when you press on the brakes.

Upvote 0
I have no problems with GB at all, its great. How many people are NOT having any problems with GB? I need to see a poll on this

I pretty much have the same issues I had with Froyo -- once in a while I lose all connectivity and have to restart the phone; I'll press the home button and an app will launch, and my battery lasts about 10 hours.

In general, I like my Droid phone, but it's a silly piece of mindless junk and if I didn't need it for work I would just go back to a Moto Razr or something that actually makes calls all the time and lasts more than a half a day sitting in my backpack.

Upvote 0
If it's that serious, perhaps you should look into alternative communication devices. No cell network is going to be reliable in all instances and locations.

What a way obfuscate the issue.

This has *NOTHING* to do with the reliability of the cell or data network. This is a bug in the operating system the prevents the phone from making calls or using data. Once the issue is triggered, it is forever until you power cycle. It's not like it will magically fix itself, or be intermittent, or just annoying. The device is a brick until you pull the power.

It was occuring on my phone every day until I SBFed back to Froyo.

Verizon and Mot know about it. It effects a large number of Droid Xs.

Upvote 0
I called Verizon last night in effort to get a refund for my useless 3G hotspot (dropping connection, on/off, etc...). Anyhow, I asked the tech guy if a GB patch will be coming out. He told me that Motorola has submitted an update for Droid X, but that's all he could tell me.

Just more speculation, but maybe one actually is coming at some point.

Upvote 0
The FCC disagrees with you. In fact, they've made it so you can dial 911 from ANY cell phone whether it has service or not.
that has nothing to do with the idea that the FCC thinks its ok to rely on a cell phone for 911 services...they were just smart enough to allow it...

as for "whether it has service or not." What you need to clarify there is that it can make a 911 call even if the phone is not attached to a particular carrier's network...if you're in an area without actual service you won't be able to make a call...

Landline payphones used to be everywhere. Now there are hardly any left because everyone has a cell.
that has more to do with the fact that people stopped using them and they were not bringing in any money...

Yes, everyone except you thinks they should be able to rely on their cell to dial 911.

should you be able to make a call to 9/11 from your cell? yes i would agree with that...

what i don't agree with is the idea that it would be OK to rely solely on your cell as your means of communication with emergency services...there are too many areas in this country where a 100% functioning cell phone cannot obtain service for it to be considered reliable enough to completely abandon the landline...

my X works completely well in regards to cell service...i have never experienced any sort of signal loss requiring a reboot to get back...but still there are plenty of areas where i can lose a signal, or have poor enough signal that i can sound like garbled static on the other end...

Reactions: nsa_sailor
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones