• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GB Update rolling out now for CDMA Razr

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Installing now. This could be a bridge so the ICS update is smoother

Update:

Unfroze apps first with Titanium before updating

Took about twenty minutes from download to restart.

Went smoothly

Already had root saved with Voodoo and restored with no problem

Refroze apps

Seems to be working well. Key for me is the data drops, so wonder if fixed.....

Installing now. This could be a bridge so the ICS update is smoother

Update:

Unfroze apps first with Titanium before updating

Took about twenty minutes from download to restart.

Went smoothly

Already had root saved with Voodoo and restored with no problem

Refroze apps

Seems to be working well. Key for me is the data drops, so wonder if fixed.....

Kudos to you sir for unfreezing your apps. and not deleting them and then not being able to do the update. That is one of the biggest issues with people that have rooted, they delete bloat or forgot they renamed it then bam .....can't take the update. I always recommend using TiBu to freeze instead.

They're NOT GOING TO DO THAT. We will get ICS. Probably within a a couple months.

Agreed. MY original timeline guess was June/July and i'm still thinking that is the case.

Upvote 0
I got the update about 5 days ago. I know it is "supposed" to increase battery life but in my case it has been the opposite. I have noticed a much faster than normal battery drain after the update. I haven't been using it any more than I usually do. Normally at this point in the day I'd be at about 50 - 55% but the last few days I've been down to 15% or so. Not looking very promising.

Upvote 0
Still haven't gotten the update and don't really care if i do lol. However i did notice the new battery drain a few days ago and found out what it was. Long story short think something is going on with the motorola updater as this is getting pushed out.

Being rooted i have never had a problem making it through the whole day on a single charge with my phone. However a few days ago i noticed my phone would be at 15% right as i got off of work. Checked to see what my battery was doing and noticed something i had never seen before eating up 39% of it. Motorola Services.

So i watched it the next day and even if it was only showing 6% battery usage at the time it still took a ton of power. Mainly because it was keeping my phone in full awake status all day. So i think it's trying to grab the update but something isn't going right or it's not ready in my area yet.

Either way i went into Ti, noticed that these new Motorola Services icons now showed up (never seen them before) and froze them all (were like 5 of them). Needless to say phone runs great again and haven't had a problem sense.

Upvote 0
Where it comes to your recommendation to un-freeze apps, I've just plain never allowed the bloat ware to update itself on the Market. To date my Razr still will not let me pull down the OTA to .181. Yes, I am rooted but I haven't wiped anything off of it nor am I using any custom ROM. Should I allow bloatware to update then try the OTA? Suggestions otherwise?

Upvote 0
Where it comes to your recommendation to un-freeze apps, I've just plain never allowed the bloat ware to update itself on the Market. To date my Razr still will not let me pull down the OTA to .181. Yes, I am rooted but I haven't wiped anything off of it nor am I using any custom ROM. Should I allow bloatware to update then try the OTA? Suggestions otherwise?

Just to make sure, you're hitting Menu>about phone>system updates, and it tells you "system up to date" or some such?
If so, don't worry about it yet. Give it a day or two. The bloatware has nothing to do with that. If that was the problem you could download the update just fine, but then it would fail to install after you run it.

And you're honestly not missing much anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones