• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gboard and U

Hi

I use gboard on my Note 9 and also my iPhone X - I have a strange issue - I use the letter 'u' a lot instead of the word 'you' and nearly all the time the U is capitalised (see, it just happened then) and I pressed the lowercase U (just happened again) the only way to make it lowercase is to backspace the capital U and type u again and it'll be lowercase - does anyone know why this happens and what's the fix? It happens on gboard on both Android and iOS but doesn't happen on the default keyboards - clearly a gboard issue - please help it's so annoying thank U aaaarrrggghhh

Here are my gboard settings

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180831-101707_Gboard.jpg
    Screenshot_20180831-101707_Gboard.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 262
Upvote 0
As a matter of interest I have just put an uppercase U in my Gboard personal dictionary and in this sentence I wrote a lowercase U and I and they both appeared as uppercase which bears out mikedt's thinking.

I have now removed the uppercase u and only I changes to uppercase.

The odd thing is my Gboard settings are quite different to the ones you have. I have to go into 'Advanced' to access the personal dictionary :-

Screenshot_20180831-094128.png Screenshot_20180831-094137.png Screenshot_20180831-094149.png

Gboard is the only keyboard I have on my HTC 10.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
As a matter of interest I have just put an uppercase U in my Gboard personal dictionary and in this sentence I wrote a lowercase U and I and they both appeared as uppercase which bears out mikedt's thinking.

I have now removed the uppercase u and only I changes to uppercase.

The odd thing is my Gboard settings are quite different to the ones you have. I have to go into 'Advanced' to access the personal dictionary :-

View attachment 135308 View attachment 135309 View attachment 135310

Gboard is the only keyboard I have on my HTC 10.

Yeah I don't have that menu

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180831-171055_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180831-171055_Settings.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0
Well this is something of a weird issue. The fact that it happens on both your Android and iOS devices makes me wonder if it's not so much the Gboard app itself but some over-riding background syncing service that has retained that odd 'U'. If you log into your Google account:
https://myaccount.google.com/inputtools
there's a 'Keep dictionary synced between services' check box you should look into.
Input_Tools.jpg
Also, does this same 'U' capitalization issue occur only when using a browser app or does it happen with other apps like texting? If it's just browsing, as an example, if you're using the Chrome app on both your Android and Apple, do you have account syncing enabled on both browsers? That might be something else to look into as both browsers might be tied to the same user dictionary.

Upvote 0
Well this is something of a weird issue. The fact that it happens on both your Android and iOS devices makes me wonder if it's not so much the Gboard app itself but some over-riding background syncing service that has retained that odd 'U'. If you log into your Google account:
https://myaccount.google.com/inputtools
there's a 'Keep dictionary synced between services' check box you should look into.
View attachment 135315
Also, does this same 'U' capitalization issue occur only when using a browser app or does it happen with other apps like texting? If it's just browsing, as an example, if you're using the Chrome app on both your Android and Apple, do you have account syncing enabled on both browsers? That might be something else to look into as both browsers might be tied to the same user dictionary.

Hi

At the link you provided above there is no checkbox as such that U refer to

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180901-002051_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180901-002051_Chrome.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
So odd. Well since you're experiencing this problem with two different phones (and two different platforms) and, at least so far, no one else can duplicate that same capitalizing U problem (I can't either), there's apparently something in running in the background that involves the syncing of your two phones. Maybe try going into your Settings >> Apps menu, find the Gboard app listing, and do a 'Clear data'. That will return the app back to its original, default settings so you'll need to re-do any changes you've made to it previously.

Upvote 0
So odd. Well since you're experiencing this problem with two different phones (and two different platforms) and, at least so far, no one else can duplicate that same capitalizing U problem (I can't either), there's apparently something in running in the background that involves the syncing of your two phones. Maybe try going into your Settings >> Apps menu, find the Gboard app listing, and do a 'Clear data'. That will return the app back to its original, default settings so you'll need to re-do any changes you've made to it previously.

Mate there's no clear data option in the gboard app settings

Upvote 0
Mate there's no clear data option in the gboard app settings

I found the clear data option and cleared it and U is still the same U as U still getting capitalised U U

When I type a lowercase u it does show as a lowercase u but as soon as I hit the space key it capitalises if I then backspace that space the capital U changes to lowercase u and I press space bar again and it remains lowercase

Seems like the space key has something to do with this issue

Upvote 0
I found the clear data option and cleared it and U is still the same U as U still getting capitalised U U

When I type a lowercase u it does show as a lowercase u but as soon as I hit the space key it capitalises if I then backspace that space the capital U changes to lowercase u and I press space bar again and it remains lowercase

Seems like the space key has something to do with this issue

Furthermore, I don't get capitalised U's if the U is in a word for example in the word bubble the U is lowercase but U see just then that when the U has a space after it it capitalises

Starting to think we may have a space bar issue maybe

Upvote 0
Buried in my Gboard Settings menu in under 'Text correction' there's a 'Auto-capitalization' option that statr 'Capitalize the first word of each sentence'. Maybe try disabling that. Still, it seems that 'U' is the issue, not necessarily any other characters, yes?.

Disabled that setting - nup still same issue U

a b C d E f g h I J K l m n O P q r s t U v W X y z

all the capital letters above behave like the U - weird huh?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones