1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GBoard "New Line" Not Working

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by petecal, Jan 10, 2021.

1. petecal

petecal Member

I have been using GBoard voice to text for years. A few months ago it stopped converting "period new line" to a period and going to a new line. It does convert the "Period" to a period then displays "new line". Same for "new paragraph"; it just puts in the words.

This worked fine for years. I don't know what happened recently. I have been hoping it would "cure" itself just like it "broke" itself but no luck.

So I finally had to surrender and ask for help.

Ant ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

maybe try wiping cache and data and see if that helps.

3. petecal

petecal Member

Nope, that didn't help.
    What else?

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

https://support.google.com/docs/thread/57084787?hl=en

i know it is for google docs, but it mentions the very same issue....unfortunately no resolution posted.

i just switch to gboard and i am having the same issue. it also does not work with "new paragraph" as well. i'm surfing thru google support with little success in finding a resolution.

sorry i'm out of options at this point. maybe try a different keyboard or dictation app.

5. petecal

petecal Member

Does anybody have any recommendations for alternative speech2text keyboards?

6. petecal

petecal Member

Well, doesn't this take the cake.
    I installed an app, "Classic Big Keyboard" from google play.
    Speaking "New line" moves down to the next line like Gboard used to.
    If I switch to Gboard, New line does not work but if I switch back yo Classic New line works.

In fact, I guess it is because I have two keyboards installed, so there is the image of a keyboard on the right of the bottom bar. If I tap it I can select between Classic, Gboard, Google voice typing. Switching right in the middle of a document will enable/disable New Line.

ocnbrze likes this.