• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
G'day people and greetings from downunder... Please call me Gymbo.
I have joined this forum in order to begin the learning process with the Android os.
I am particularly interested in the 10" tablet and Epad, the prices are good from what I view around the www and I am keen to get my hands dirty learning and implimenting what is required now I am semi retired and seeking something else to keep the grey matter functioning:)
There is a wealth of information presented here, and it is a pleasure to see the dedication upon the pages; so many subjects and just as many solutions.
Cool bananas!!
Well, I have a vast amount of reading to do here before I open my mouth to change feet
Take care and good health to you all, chat soon; Gymbo:D

G'day people and greetings from downunder... Please call me Gymbo.
I have joined this forum in order to begin the learning process with the Android os.
I am particularly interested in the 10" tablet and Epad, the prices are good from what I view around the www and I am keen to get my hands dirty learning and implimenting what is required now I am semi retired and seeking something else to keep the grey matter functioning:)
There is a wealth of information presented here, and it is a pleasure to see the dedication upon the pages; so many subjects and just as many solutions.
Cool bananas!!
Well, I have a vast amount of reading to do here before I open my mouth to change feet
Take care and good health to you all, chat soon; Gymbo:D

Hello from down under! Welcome to AF!

Reactions: gymbo
Upvote 0
Hey Gymbo. Welcome to the Android Forums.

Good job doing your research before you buy. It will save you a lot of disappointment. For example, many people are upset that they bought an inexpensive (aka cheap) tablet only to find it didn't meet the minimum requirements for the flash player. If you let us know what you want to do with Android we can point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0
G'day frenchy714, scary alien and lunatic59.
Thank you for the warm reception people:)
I am sure to love this corner of the www, I can not get enough !

As for requirements, I seek a device which will function as...

1. friendly:)
2. a carrier of a variety of documentation - mostly pdf,
3. capable of smoothly displaying 'power point / slide show type' presentations,
4. clear viewing of images - from hand drawn circuit diagrams to blue-prints and photographs,
5. a bucket load of audio - dictations, speeches and recorded lectures,
6. clear live audio recording,
7. customisable viewing - from back-grounds to icons,
8. allowability to install / delete specific applications,

9. direct, cable connection to a computer,
10. the ability to directly syncronise to an external, single shot camera and the odd not critical motion camera,
11. capability to add memory - either directly with a card or connection to a portable external drive,
12. a customisable security system which will render the device 'dead in the water', should the need arise,
13. NO GPS.

mmmm..... a bakers dozen

Not too much to ask, is it ?:)

The device will be utilised mainly in 'private environments', this will include class-room and on site situations.
Read-ability / view-ability will not be an issue as adequate shadow will be present or connection to a large screen in all circumstances, to re-view any and all recordings and images.
Also, the option of connecting a keyboard is cool.

It will not be used as a telephone, nor with wifi or blue-tooth.

The device is mainly for me to 'cut my teeth on', as I learn the intricacies of the Andriod os and how it can be bent and twisted (sounds like me sometimes:D), to suit current requirements, hence, the intention to learn how to modify is paramount.
A second Android device will be purchased in the future; which will serve as a dedicated mobile telephone, movie viewer, book reader etc..

I know I do not want a lap-top and have a few computers at home which allow me to play CS, experiment with After Effects and search the www.

mmmm..... that is it for now, thank you for enquiring
lunatic59, a point in the correct direction is very much appreciated mate:)

Upvote 0
Thank you lunatic59,
That appears to be one impressive baby:eek:
Yes, I concur, the most important requirement is the dollar.
$500AUD is the limit at the moment.

I will keep my eye on t
hat particular tablet.
We need a little education here in the land of oz:)

Your display of dedication is awesome brother; I thank you for the time and effort
:cool:

In the mean time, I will continue searching these pages - like reading "Gone With The Wind", again.
For some reason, there is a little something gnawing at me in relation to the ZT-180, the Flying Touch 2 and the SmartQ R10.
mmmmm..... = homework and sound advice.

Once again lunatic59, thank you, if there were more lunatics like you around, this life would be a whole lot easier
:D

Upvote 0
For some reason, there is a little something gnawing at me in relation to the ZT-180, the Flying Touch 2 and the SmartQ R10.
mmmmm..... = homework and sound advice.

I looked them up and found out why they are attractive ... they are cheap. They all have resistive touch screens so finger actions like swipes and zooms will be difficult if at all possible. and you have to press rather than touch, which is not a good experience. They have low internal memory and the minimum processing power to play Flash content. You probably could get the player to install, but it would be choppy.

Since this is getting off the subject of introductions, I'm moving the thread to general tablet talk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones