1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Gear 360 (2017) Conversion Error

Discussion in 'Samsung Gear VR' started by The_Chief, Sep 9, 2017.

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    Moderator Thread Starter

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Since there isn't a forum dedicated to the Gear 360 (since it's a GearVR accessory and not an Android device), I'm posting this here hoping one of you folks have figured this out.

I tried to import a couple of VR video files from my Gear 360 (2017 )into CyberLink Gear 360 Action Director 1, but somewhere in the conversion process, it messed up and my entire video looked like this:

Gear360ADScreen.jpg

So I contacted CyberLink for support. They recommended that I install Gear 360 Action Director 2, as the new version supports the Gear 360 (2016), and Gear 360 (2017) camera's video stitching. The previous
    version only supports Gear 360 (2016). So I installed it.

No sooner did I try to input my source videos (which have a .MP4 extension), I got THIS error!

AD3602Error.png

So I have no idea what the problem is.

My first instinct was to suspect the format, since I imported my original Gear 360 (2017) from South Korea before they were available in the United States. However, North Korea is also on the NTSC video standard, just like us. So it should not be a matter of format. I have since received a US version of the camera and will be using it from now on.

I asked CyberLink yet again what the problem might be... but I thought I'd tap your brains, too. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. The_Chief

Moderator Thread Starter

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    Manchester, TN
    Well, CyberLink's big solution was to replace Action Director 360 with version 2, which I did. Had no effect. While I'm in Windows Explorer, I see the source video preview and it's the dual bubble image that would be expected of a VR video. As soon as I try to import it, though, version 2 pops up an error and won't even import it.

I have a sinking feeling that, because it's a Gear 360 that was meant for the South Korean market and not the USA, there's some format difference that is boogering up the conversion. Both countries are NTSC, but maybe the frame rate is different. Or something. If that's the case, I'm bummed because that was 20 minutes of footage from dead center of totality during the eclipse.

As part of the promotion for the Note 8, I got a new Gear 360 - so I will shoot a couple of test videos and see if they import successfully and can be edited. If so, then I'm stuck with a Gear 360 that I can't sell... unless I can find a buyer in South Korea...

marctronixx likes this.
  3. The_Chief

Moderator Thread Starter

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    Manchester, TN
    GUESS WHAT? Happy ending!

I upgraded the software to version 2 and, after 10 infuriating attempts to produce ANYTHING without the program freezing or crashing, I actually got everything done! Video from both my Korean Gear360 and my US Gear360 look great! Last step is to watch them in the GearVR and make sure it's all good!