• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gemini Calendar - my vision of calendar software

I will check graphics alignment on other devices as soon as I have opportunity to test it. Right now I can only test Gemini on emulator (many different screen sizes) and several real devices I have close at hand (everything looks fine there). I will try to experiment with emulator more, lets see, if something can be done this way.
Day view will be redesigned, I agree it needs some refreshing.
I will release a new version of Gemini soon.
Translation will be done also - not sure when, as it requires the graphics changes (some of the UI texts are in graphics).
Thanks for the suggestions and stay in touch !

Upvote 0
I love this app, it's the best calendar app out there. Just one thing though. When I updated the Thunderbird Calendar (Lightning), the update appeared in Google Calendar (for OTA calendar synchronising), but no event update appeared to be shown in Gemini. Just checking into this and found that you need to move away from the date you added or deleted an event, to a new date and then back again to the date to show that Gemini has synced. It isn't sync issue, as I first thought. Wonder if this can be resolved with a page refresh or reload when going back into Gemini, to show the update has synced. It's a minor thing, I know, but my first thought was that Gemini wasn't syncing with Google Calendar, when actually it is.

Apologies if this is already know about.

Upvote 0
A slight bug to report.

When entering the times of an event, set the start time, then set the end time, then use the slider to keep increasing the end time hour until it gets to 23. One more movement and it goes "up" to "00", taking the start hour back to 00 with it!

If this is meant to be midnight the next day, the end date isn't incremented. If this is meant to be a wrap-around, it should go back to the earliest start time which is on or after the end time, not zero (i.e. take minutes into account when deciding the hour).

Personally, I'd prefer it go to the next day. I found this while trying to set and event from 18:30 to midnight, and I hate having to make do with "23:55" or whatever.

Indeed, why not have the slider increment a field and be able to affect all those of longer lengths when changing a value, i.e. if you really wanted, you could use it to scoot through years of times just by using the minute field. An extreme case, but you see what I mean?

As of latest version on the Market (0.9.44) this is still an issue...Not an app breaker, but damn annoying I cant setup events cross midnight

Upvote 0
You can set up events over midnight. Tap the vertical double-headed arrow with a red line through it, under the stop time, and a separate end date and time section appears. You can set a different end date there.

No, my issue is that an event ending at midnight, which is treated as 00:00 on the next day, shows up as being an event in that last day when it isn't really. The workaround for my issue is to set the end time to 23:55.

Upvote 0
The image for the background of all-day events looks pretty bad when the event is longer than a couple lines, the grill gets all stretched out and ugly. Some calendars I subscribe to have events like this, and especially when there are several on one day it looks really raw. I would rather have just a simple brushed background maybe, something that scales better and displays the text more clearly.

This comes back to my feeling that the UI needs to be more scalable which seems to be the issue for the Dell Streak and probably will cause problems on all tablets. And that 'GeminiCalendar' text just serves no purpose for me, it would be nice to have that extra space for calendar events. This is my last real gripe with Gemini though, minor UI quibbles. I don't need many more views or features (well invites would be nice), just getting the UI more streamlined would be wonderful.

Upvote 0
I have noticed a small problem with one of my calendars not sorting correctly lately. It is a minor issue that I first noticed with the 9.41 update. The 4X2 widget will show my Read Only Holidays calendar events that occur a day after the other calendars first. It is like this calendar is a day out of sync. I tried changing my preferences to re-sync things but nothing worked. It insists that November 25 (Thanksgiving) is before everything happening on November 24.

Upvote 0
I love the app, but just a couple questions. Any other color options available, maybe something lighter? Is there anyways to stop it from synching with the stock/google calendar? The synch upon initial dl is great, saved me from manually transferring, but now I just don't want to use the stock one.

Also I noticed (and this may have been mentioned already) that when a reminder comes up it doesn't state what it is for. I just have the options to snooze all, snooze and dismiss all, but I cannot see what it is that I would be quieting.

Upvote 0
Is there any way to currently add an event from the day view without clicking the menu button? It would be nice if you could click (or long press) on the date or an empty space to create a new event.
Also, it would be a nice added feature to have different skins.
One last thing... when swiping from day to day, the events usually move up and down a little bit. Not a big problem, just a bit distracting.
Overall a very good calendar. Much better than stock Captivate calendar.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Is there any way to currently add an event from the day view without clicking the menu button? It would be nice if you could click (or long press) on the date or an empty space to create a new event.
This is what you can do. Press and hold on a date and after a few seconds, "Add event for ..." appears in orange in the top left. Release your finger and that's a blank event for that day. Slide your finger and that's an event over several days.

Upvote 0
This is what you can do. Press and hold on a date and after a few seconds, "Add event for ..." appears in orange in the top left. Release your finger and that's a blank event for that day. Slide your finger and that's an event over several days.

That is while in the month view. I want to be able to add an even while on the single day screen (ie looking at the events for November 19 only, not all of November.)

Upvote 0
From the day view it is just Menu>Add Event. Two 'clicks'

While in the month view there is also a 2nd way to add an event to a date.
Touch the date you want to highlight/select it, then Menu>Add Fast.
I look to make sure I have selected the correct date I want, Menu>Add Fast and I'm there.
I use this way instead of the long press. Both ways are good but if I long long press on the wrong date by accident I have to back out and start over again or change the date on the screen to the correct one before I add my other info.

Upvote 0
Also I noticed (and this may have been mentioned already) that when a reminder comes up it doesn't state what it is for. I just have the options to snooze all, snooze and dismiss all, but I cannot see what it is that I would be quieting.

I'm having the same problem as above - i have a blank screen with the Snooze all, Custom Snooze and Dismiss options...but there is no way to see/select what i am snoozing.

The reminder then keeps coming back.
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm a new user of Gemini and as others have said, it's great. I'm coming from a Palm TX and really miss the ability to see available times in the day view. I.e. all hours of the day (7 am to 8 pm say). A long select on an hour could pull up event setting for that time too eliminating need to enter time directly.

Upvote 0
Hi powell,
First of all, thanks for the great work, i have been using the calendar for some time now and its fantastic.
Today i tried to put in my working scedule, and here i struck a poblem: i want to put in a 5 day task which repeats every 18 days. The problem is that when choosing the repeat i can choose between the intervals 16 and 20..:(
is there a fix possible, or maybe a way around this as its quite important for me.

thanks again for your help and good work!
rob

Upvote 0
I synchronise my calendar with Outlook and all-day events created in the Outlook calendar show up as two-day events in Gemini. In the stock calendar they show correctly.

Any ideas?
I suspect this is the same bug/feature request I made earlier; Outlook might set up a task for, say, today to be 00:00 Nov 25th to 00:00 Nov 26th (don't know, don't use it).

I have asked that a task ending on a day at 00:00 should not be shown on that day. Workaround when creating new activities in Gemini is to make them end at 23:55 rather than 00:00 of the next day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones