• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GEN 2 Phones!!

squitten

Dec 11, 2010
UK
Has anyone switched to GEN 2 yet?

I'm decided not to upgrade my phone even though does it seem easy to do. I was planned stick with CM7 but future development will only be for GEN 2 phones. I've done a lot with my phone & had fun trying out different ROM's (de-orange 2.1, FLB, JJ, modaco froyo, CM7 & SS) since I brought it last December, I finally decided to put Swedish Spring RSL4 back on my phone & stick with that!! :)

how do you switch to gen 2. I have gen 1. Are there any advantages?

It supposed to give you better phone reception.

There's a guide on the ZTE Blade Modaco forum, from what I read it seems easy to do but there's bit in the guide I'm not sure how to do. I decided to stick with GEN 1, I'm quite happy with ss rls4!! :)

Update: I just had a look on modaco & it seems that people have had problems updating to GEN 2 (a few ended up bricking there phones), so glad I didn't update mine!!

Upvote 0
Reactions: squitten
Upvote 0
Giving flashing ROMs is simple its a bit more complex
However Wbaw has made a TPT update for it
This is much better than the Windows app!

Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade - Android @ MoDaCo

thanks for that, read the sticky too. seems a breeze, even for me! having a shot of flb r11b to compare it to the cm7 stable (preferred rc4 to stable if i'm honest) then i think i'll have a go. that'll give it time for all questions/possible issues/confusion to be out in the open and give me a little confidence. nothing i like more than convincing myself i'm really taking in a thirty page thread :D

Upvote 0
Switched 3 days ago and flashed CM 7.0.2 without problems (TPT v3).
Reception seems to be a little bit better (if I can trust just the number of bars displayed in notification area, but never had any issues even with one bar signal strength). CM 7.0.2 looks also good and is little bit more stable than 7.0 (at least on my Blade).

Upvote 0
I've attempted to move to gen2 but i'm not entirely sure it's worked:thinking:

I was using 7.0.2 with KK's converter then when i had a little time tonight tried to update using the new method since i'll have to eventually. (update to gen2 + 7.0.2 in one package as on modaco). when i booted it up holding the up key it didn't show any green writing on screen as per the instructions. I had a black screen with the back key lit up in red then after probably thirty secs it loaded up cm7. At that point i got the initial set up stuff (signing into my google account and touching the android etc) so i figured it had worked. but how can i be sure?

i THINK before Kalt Kaffe was mentioned in "about phone" but that might be my imagination. The kernal version is 2.6.32.9-perf hcdrjacob@giovanni#1. Can anyone confirm that i'm good? i can't see how i would still have 7.0.2 without reflashing the now absent zip+converter file but i'm just thrown by the lack of green writing i was supposed to see. Don't want to flash a g2 rom down the line and kill it! :eek:

Upvote 0
Get Ask Mr Pigfish app from the Market to check

thanks! can't believe i forgot that :eek: i used it once before to make sure i was gen1 as well! Hopefully it will save somone else worrying though since you MIGHT NOT see green writing while it's doing it's work. Was pretty sure this morning it had worked since i seemed to have loads more space after moving apps back to SD and Mr Pigfish tells me i'm now gen2. great work by those involved making the actual process itself so simple :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones