1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Android Discussion: To include my eris and thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by CoyotesFan4Evr, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CoyotesFan4Evr

CoyotesFan4Evr Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    You don't really want to know.
    Phoenix
    Ok well I hope that scotty and the rest of the guys over on my eris thread follow me here so that I can have a more open topic discussion about my phone(s) without going off topic. So without further adue....what's going on guys? I hate sam's club right now because they took my money and told me I was getting my phone on thursday only to cancel it later and tell me I'm not getting it. Thankfully verizon is coming to my rescue. Free overnight shipping and any accessories up to 50 bucks. Only down side is I have to part the 250 for the phone.

Advertisement

2. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Midland's, South Carolina
    Please don't miss understand coyotes. When the discussion turns from one phone to another or a general discussion then it's becoming off topic of that phones forum and needs to be taken up elsewhere.

3. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    so did you get it yet? :)

4. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    It's all good bobcat I totally understand. I'm not upset at all. I'm on alot of other forums such as 4x4 ones and we try to make sure that threads stay on topic as well. I used to be an admin on one a long time ago. Anyways no I didn't get it yet scotty. I'm waiting 2 weeks and paying a lesser price from Sam's club because the wife doesn't want "us" to spend the extra 100 bucks to get it early. We have other things on our plate bill wise and so it's a smarter choice. And that's out in the open and all honest like.

5. Bob Cat

None

Nov 17, 2010
    Yea unfortunately we all have them bills to pay. I could upgrade now but for now I'm happy with this used Inc. It's fast and does what I want so I think I'll stay with it for a while.

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    well,that kinda sucks. but when you finally get it you will be that much more excited :D

i was real antsy waitin for mine,too

7. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    So I figure I'll start a countdown until I get my Thunderbolt. My Eris has been doing alright and even under heavy use but I can tell the drop that it took did hurt it a little bit speed wise. That or it could just be that the battery is the original one and it does need replacing. But anyways, here we go with the countdown.

Days Left: 7

Days Left: 5

Days Left: 4

Days Left: 3

Days Left: 2

Days Left: 1!!!!!

It's THE DAY!!! I just have to wait until midnight or so I can order my THUNDERBOLT! Have to wait for some money to hit my account and then that phone will be ordered!

8. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    So, um my phone will be in my hands by 3pm tomorrow....I'm seriously excited....can't wait. This is going to be awesome.

9. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Sweet! I was pretty excited wen I got mine too :cool:

10. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    I have it in my HANDS!!!!

11. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
  12. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Ok I have a gripe already. First of there is a ton of bloat on here. The other thing is, is that no matter how many times I hit the task killer, these things keep coming back. I tried locking them with this app called audio manager that if you have root, and then can hide any ago you want to and it's not only protected but it won't allow the app to open at all. So seriously I have 2 problems. One is all the bloat and my not wanting to root right away. And the other is is trying to figure out certain things on the phone in general. Ink give more detail in the morning.

13. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Ok, so a couple things. I spent the whole weekend playing with my tbolt and absolutely love it over my eris. Now I have just read thru the swype thread and must say that I'm having the same problem with my stock text message app with the auto space and auto caps deal. I'm on version 3. While I have been debating about changing to a different messaging app I do like the stock one. Anyways I'll deal with that later. Now my previous post I stated having tons of apps auto start and I hate that seeing a they are mostly ones I don't use and never will. I recently downloaded a different task killer and it seems to be helping. Here comes my big question of rooting. Now having skimmed over the rooting threads I want to ask if there is a rooting method that I can do to where I stay on my stock rom? I don't really want to root but it's the only way I'm going to get all these annoying apps to stop running on their own. I'm posting this here so as to not clutter up either of the other threads with the same our similar questions. If this question has been answered then please point me to the post that answers it and I will go from there. Also I take it that there is no one click easy root yet right? Are there any apps that you guys can suggest that I just have to have for my tbolt? I have a ton already but just in case I missed any. Lol Also I had zedge on my eris and while trying to get back some of my ringtones I have found they don't always exist for different phones. Also there is a ringtone app that I can't find anymore that I had on my eris.

14. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Apparently I had typed trip much in that least post for my tbolt and swype to keep up with because it bogged way down on me. Now to finish. So the app is called RingTone and as an icon it has orange equalizer bars and a black background. Love the app. Can't find it using my tbolt. Also shouldn't I have been able to sign into my google/android market account and been able to download ask my apps from my eris? I thought it saved them for just such this reason? Either way my new tbolt is amazing and I love it hands down. Every phone has its own little quirks and that's ok. My concern on rooting is that I just got my phone and really didn't want to root right away....do I deal with the auto running bloat or go ahead and root but stay in stock rom? Your opinions and help is as always very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

15. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    grrr i had somethin typed out and then accidentally erased it :mad:

anyway,there is s setting in titanium backup called "market dr". run that on your eris,and let it verify all your app market links. once its done and fixed all your links,go to the market on the eris(it doesnt have to be active. connect via wifi) and download an app. this will cause the market to refresh/update and all your apps on the eris should appear.

now go to the market on your TB. download an app. go to my apps,and see if all your apps are there now. if they are,you can download any of them that are missing.

if that doesnt work,you can go into data/app using root explorer and find the app your looking for. long press and then chose copy(IIRC),and then navigate to your sd card. now paste it there. now you can connect to your pc,and transfer that .apk file to your pc. you can then trasnfer it to your TB. just locate it on your sd card with astro file manager,and tap it to open file manager and install it. i have trasnfered apps from my eris to my inc and my TB like this.

as for rooting,do the manual method on XDA. its the safest and most reliable. if you feel its over your head id advise not rooting at all yet... the one click/easy root methods are just automating the manual method and on occasion dont work properly. ive seen a couple cases where they only complete half the process,leaving the user with s-on,and/or on buggy,downgrade firmware(a bad situation).

its very important you follow this guide: [ROOT] MR1/OTA PermRoot + Unlock Bootloader - Safer/Easier 5/12/2011 - xda-developers other guides have not been updated to mr1 firmware. recently someone used an outdated guide,and at the end of the process was running release firmware. his phone prompted him to update,wich for some reason he tried to do :thinking: clockwork didnt block it like it does on other deices,and it almost bricked his phone.

again,only use the guide linked above. this will leave you running the most current firmware(mr1,wich is 1.13.605.7) so that your phone does not want to update itself.

see http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/322897-thunderbolt-rooting-methods.html for some links and videos to get adb set up and running,and how to follow the guide.

if you have any questions about the root method,please start a thread over in the "all thigns root" TB subforum,so that other folks can benefit from them. thanks :)

16. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Thanks scotty. I'll sit down and read the steps a few times before I decide if it's something I want to tackle just yet. What are the risks on bricking my brand new phone btw? So here is a general question, what is the app or add on or possible widget that I need for my screen to have the windshield wiper come across it when it's raining out? And that's just an example. I have the live weather app and beautiful widgets thing on my phone. I am pretty sure I can put whatever it is that does the wiper thing on my phone. I just need to know what it is. Oh and scotty also thanks for the info on my previous apps question.

17. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    the risks are minimal,as long as you pay attention. there are a couple of spots where you need to input a command in ADB to check the md5 of the file that you just pushed,and compare it to what is listed inthe guide. this is the only part where you could brick your phone,if you had a mismatching md5 output,and tried to procede anyway.

to get the weather animations,you could use the stock htc weather app,if youre still using the sense launcher. it should automatically run the animatons when you unlock the phone. if it doesnt,delete it,then re-add it... you should be able to get to the settings menu when you add it to the homescreen. just make sure its set to refresh when opened,or something like that,i forget the exact setting,i really dont use the sense widgets much.

you can get the same thing,basically,with beautiful widgets. again,just make sure animations are on,and its set to refresh when opened. you will need a seperate(free)download for the beautiful widgets animations :)

18. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    So since I'm at work now I don't have the chance to go thru threads about the issue I'm having, if t here are any so I'm hoping for a faster response on here than my looking it up on my own. So,is there an update coming to the tbolt because my phone is bogged down and has been for awhile. I have killed everything and it's just so laggy. I am struggling to type this on my phone right now. Please help.

19. Bob Cat

None

Nov 17, 2010
    Ummm I don't know Coyotes my Inc is running like a charm.:rolleyes: I was actually in the Verizon store yesterday adding another line (that makes 6 :eek:) and I played with the bolt and it was super slow.

20. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Mine has been super fast since day one until yesterday.

21. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    So I still don't know why my phone bogged out the way that it did but when it came to be about 7-8am after I got off work it was running just like day one. Last night I went into the update/sync settings and turned off the ones for the stocks app and the news app since neither of these are ones I will EVER use. UGH! I hate cell phone companies right now because of putting USELESS apps to me on my phone. Rooting will be happening soon....so long as I can stay on the stock rom.

22. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Alright SO! Uh, is there an app widget or whatnot that I can put on my phone to change the HTC clock/weather widget to being totally clear? I would like the clock to be that way because I downloaded a live Transformers wallpaper that changes every so often and I really like it but with the big ol' clock in the way I had to move it to the bottom and my apps up to the top. I was able to get a free version of a transparent app thing and use it on some of my icons but it only lets you do 4 in the free version and even though I undid a couple of them it won't let me change anything else because it is already counting that I've done 4. So any help guys on finding the right one would be awesome. I have searched and searched for one and I'm just not finding what I want. Maybe I should take up writing code for apps one of these days so that I can get the stuff that I could really use.

23. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    I'm hoping to get some responses to this posting, I'm not putting anyone down or complaining, just making the statement that the responses to my previous posts have not been as plentiful as I would have liked. So here are a couple things I'm curious about. I read in a tweet the other day that the Thunderbolt NOT rooted will be getting an update that allows it to operate on gingerbread. As I am still new to this I don't really know what gingerbread is other than a ROM. What will it do, did I understand the tweet correctly as it did come from HTC, and what is so great about Gingerbread that everyone loves it so much and has been pacing around waiting for it to be available? Also I did finally get the last NEW update to my phone and I must say that it has smoothed things out a bit, even though at times it gets extremely laggy and I have to restart it, if only for the fact that I'm impatient and don't want to wait for the phone to figure itself out on pulling in an app update from the market. Also I have been having a growing problem with my battery. Not the battery life itself although that could use some work. What happens is even if my phone is plugged in at home to the wall charger the battery AND charger will heat up to a very high heat mostly when it's just sitting around charging and not doing anything. The plug will get almost burning hot to the touch while the back of the phone won't get that hot. The charge light will then be flashing between green and orange even though the phone shows it's still charging. If I take it off the charger the battery is either at the same level or lower for that matter. I have taken it to Verizon and they couldn't figure it out as I just had the cord with me because it was plugged into my stereo in my Jeep. My final question or issue has to do with rooting. I haven't done it yet and yes I know I took the newest update. Now as I know there are multiple posts on this in a couple other threads but I'm still not understanding everything clearly enough to do this just yet. So my thing is, is do I have to undo the newest update and then I can root or just wait out for the work around or whatever it's called so I can root with it still having the new update? At the same time the root process on XDA talks about rooting and choosing a new ROM. I want to stay with the stock ROM only rooted, there is no instruction on how to go about that as far as I have read. I have read the root directions several times and perhaps I am just missing it somewhere. I might be a bit weird in wanting to root and stay on the stock ROM but I do like the stock ROM it's just the bloat that as I know everyone else hates right along with me. The Thunderbolt is by far the best phone in my opinion that I have purchased to this date. I have learned rather fast that the battery life can be extended when I'm at work and know that I don't get 4G so I switch to just 3G mode. It took me almost a week at my new job out in BFE past the Airforce base in Phoenix to figure this out. Didn't have a problem the first few days and then all of a sudden (slurp!) there goes most of my battery in the first 2 hours of work. Yeah not a happy camper. So as always forgive me on my lack of official terminology in this post but I am still learning all this, and I do really really want to learn a lot more about this. I may one day give a try to making an app, but for right now that is way above my head. Thanks again way in advance for the help you guys and gals will give me. By the way Scotty, I follow you on twitter and have been for awhile.:cool:

24. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    wow thats alot of questions,but here are a couple answers:
    1)charger- maybe try a different usb cable?one thing ihave found is that they are not all created equaL. i have some that charge fast,some that charge slow,and even one thats so slow it causes windows to crash :eek:
    2)gingerbread is simply an update to an OS. the biggest thing that makes it better than froyo is that it is much better at management. it closes down un-needed background apps and process much better than froyo,making it more efficient and better on the battery. there are other small enhancements as well.
    3) rooting- you currently have mr2 wich is firmware#1.70.605.0. it is still perfectly rootable,however the root method will wipe all your data. youll have to re-download apps,and resetup your phone,etc. first you may need a basic understanding of the root process. heres basically what the 7 step guide does:
    -extablished temp root,in order to re-write the mics image. this lets the phone install older firmware. normally this is not possible,and will result in a "main version higher" error when attempting the older firmware flash.
    -flash old firware,where it is possible to gain permanent root and write the engineering S-OFF bootloader.
    -flash a rooted version of stock firmware that contains clockwork recovery for manual rom management.

the prollem with the current guide is that the last step,is outated. the root process leaves you on old firmware,wich causes your phone to want to update to current firmware. the solution is to flash a rom right after(custom or a rooted stock rom) or to substitute the "upgrade RUU" from the guide with one that scary helped me make. its available here: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/389462-custom-mr2-upgrade-ruu-new-rooters.html

if you are patient alpharev/unrevoked may come out with a simpler method that does not even touch your data. i have no idea when it will happen,and if it will be compatible with gingerbread. im hoping it will,as i believe it will be some sort of hboot exploit,and not the current method.

you have up until gingerbread comes out to make a final decision,as the exploits that made the current guide work have been fixed in googles source code and no longer will function. if you want to use the current guide,you must do it before GB OTAs start rolling. if you accept the GB OTA,youre rolling the dice that alpharev/unrevoked method will work(hopefully its out by then and they can say one way or another if it will or wont) or that a new exploit will be found.

last and not least,the lack of responses. this thread title prolly doesnt make alot of sense to some folks,and the thread and your questions may be getting passed over. on top of that,the traffic in this section is prolly significantly less than what it is in the other forums,especially by folks with thunderbolt experience.

therefore,id prolle reccomend that you post in the TB forums for quicker and more answers... use the general forums for general questions,and the root forum if you have questions pertaining specifically to root :)

25. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Well I have a big problem with the current rooting process clearing my phone totally and having to redo all the setup stuff. Plain and simple with my Eris I rooted and could never get my e-mail accounts set back up on it because it constantly told me that my password or account in general was invalid and wrong. Funny thing is I could check my e-mail just fine here on my home computer. And no I did nothing weird with my phone or ROM. I put the suggested beginner root ROM, I think XtraSense. So, basically as long as that doesn't happen I'm good.

To comment on the battery answer you gave me, there is only one other cord in my house that works with my phone and that's the one for my wife's Incredible. It seems to be the same exact charger. I have tried that one as well both on purpose and by mistake and it still does it. I also have just tried her cord in her car charger as well as the cord that is on the car charger because it has a split off so you can charge 2 things/phones at once all you have to do is plug in a second cord. Not sure what to do here on that part because I have done what you suggested before you suggested it. :D

So.... thank you very much for the help, it is always appreciated. I'll read the link that you gave on the rooting and I guess decide from there. I've been happy with my phone like I said in my last post up until recently. The bloatware is just becoming to much and it's really making me mad.

Also I wasn't to worried about the responses I'm getting in this thread, I just wanted to say something so that I least I got it off my chest because I like all you guys on here and you are very helpful. So we shall see where my T-bolt leads me.