1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

general Android suggestion for the developers

Discussion in 'Application Requests' started by FortKnox, Aug 31, 2009.

1. FortKnox

FortKnox Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Please let me know if I should post this somewhere else:
    I don't know anything about the Android event model, or really anything about Android beyond being an end-user, but in a "past life" (pre-5-week-long-coma), I was a fairly accomplished Java developer, which left me with these fragmented nuggets, hope it's a useful idea.

I would like the ability to have an application open on several of the left/center/right views, even if they're open full-screen and hiding what I'll call the taskbar, and be able to switch back and forth. ONE use case: Mathdoku (a KenKen game) & Calculator, but I'm sure there are MANY more reasons to have multiple applications open at the same time. For harder KenKen games, it would be nice to SEE, say, 235 / 6 = ? Okay, that doesn't help, let's see divided by 5.

At the code layer, perhaps the "swiping sideways" event is thrown and is passed from Android to the application. (That may be a separate event (SwipingSidewaysEvent) or it's a base SwipingEvent with a Sideways property set to true or something, it's not like I know squat about it) The application may not care about about the fact that action has been performed (swiping sideways in either example application is ignored), and here's the suggestion: if the application doesn't consume the event, it's either (A) passed back up to Android automatically somehow, or (B) the event can specifically re-throw it to the previous entity in the handler stack.

Now I would think (A) would be heavily preferred, as it doesn't require rewrites of any application code to add in re-throwing of events the application doesn't care about (fix it once, not many).

Okay, that's it. Not being a developer now, I don't know if that's at all useful or total garbage, but thought I'd pass it on.

Advertisement