1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Battery Life of web browsing on Epic 4g

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gabe2gg, Feb 26, 2011.

1. gabe2gg

gabe2gg Lurker
    None

May 1, 2010
    I was interested in this phone and i was wondering how long the phone usually lasts web browsing? Thanks

Advertisement

2. saxologist

saxologist Member
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    sleeping
    florida
    Been on it all day 3/4 full steam

3. ahowsare

ahowsare Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    Mines usually good for around 3 hours of screen-on time...

4. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi
    Kinda of a loaded question imo. Depends on what you are browsing and what signal your on. Wifi you will last considerably longer than on say 4g. When im at work and am on 3g i can get 4+ hrs np, at home on wifi generally more than that depending if im just reading, less if downloading stuff or watching youtube. It really all depends.

5. jrdatrackstar

jrdatrackstar Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    4+ hrs no problem? Wow, what are your settings like? I can barely make 2 1/2 hrs on JUST 3G web browsing (and that is just going to web pages, not even including Market, etc...)

6. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Depends on screen brightness as well.
    Mines on auto brightness.But Im outside in the sun often and full brightness kills the battery in 2-3 hours.

7. iwillfearnoevil

None
    it is very battery intensive

8. rounsy222

None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi
    Lol, i do the usual, dark wallpaper and theme, brightness turned down, wifi whenever possible. These big displays are battery hogs, no matter what phone it is. So the the little things add up in a huge way. 3g uses more than wifi, especially in bad reception areas. Some background apps also chew up the battery, especially if they are using data, like facebook and such so i try to kill them when not in use. The new genocide kernal has helped a ton too. There are people out there claiming to get 1-2 days out of a charge on these, and there is no way i can ever come close to that, i am on mine waaaay too much lol. Hope that helps some.

jmad34 likes this.
  9. jrdatrackstar

jrdatrackstar Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    I've done a hard reset since using EB13 (and am still using stock EB13), so I'm currently doing some charge-discharge cycles to see if that improves it. But I keep my brightness on auto, use a blue wallpaper that came with TrulyEpic ROM from my sd card, and I have Facebook signed in from the actual app (not from Samsung's Facebook plug-in because it keeps signing me out) to pull in contacts from it. I made sure to change facebook to never refresh, but it's probably still hurting my battery because I don't know how often it syncs for contacts. Do the Market and YouTube home screen widgets use battery to display the "feeds"? Like are they polling for data to display the content? If so, I'm taking them off.

I can never make it past 2 1/2 hours of web browsing. I can make it a day and a half of just not using the phone basically. When I check my time with screen on, it is always at like 2 1/2 hours before it completely dies, and I usually lose like 3% an hour even with the screen off, with no usage. I am in an area of good coverage, PRL and Profile Updated too. I am hoping killing the battery and recharging a couple of times helps. Seems like battery life is never consistent for me. Sometimes it'll be good, then the next day worse (with the same type of usage) :(:thinking:.
    Maybe it's because you're using a different kernel. I want to keep mine stock for right now though.

10. rounsy222

None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi
    Ya anything that pulls data is chewing up you battery. The only thing i have going like that is my weatherbug elite, i need that because i live in an area that weather changes without notice. Like i was saying every little thing adds up huge, but whats the point if you are not getting out of the phon what you want. Also everyone one of these phones are different from the next. What works great for me may not work the same for you. If you just follow the basics and only use what you need to get by then thats all you can do. The kernal helps for sure but dont do that unless you are comfortable with that. Also you can try juicedefender, that helps tweek some things in too. Also if you go to do the battery recalibration, make sure to run it empty, charge it, unplug it at full charge for about 30 sec then plug it in again until charged again. Do that 3 times and see the difference. That really worked well for me. Its crazy why you gotta do it but it does work.