• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General email app issues

please give more info

screenshot?

are you rooted?

using a launcher?

how much memory is on board? (tip: if you dont know, look in storage tab)

how long have you had the device? did it happen on day one?

used/refurbished device? or purchased brand new?

what carrier?

do you have the latest android update?

do you have any programs that alter the look of the home screen or widgets?

can you reproduce the problem art will? or is it random? how do you resolve it when it does happen?

Upvote 0
I think I may have similar symptoms. On some emails with attachments, none of the message gets through (just an email with subject and attachments shows up, though on my laptop I see an accompanying text message).
Carrier: AT&T;
Phone NOT rooted;
App: the email software that comes with the phone.
Type of email account: pop 3 account using Spamarrest to block spam.

So I seem to be getting all my email, but some that come with attachments are hiding an accompanying text message. The entire messages make it to my laptop.

Upvote 0
make sure in the settings under the email account in question you have it set to download the entire message instead of the first line or first 25K of the message, etc.

next , remove the spamarrest thingy if the above is not helpful.

remove the account and re add it.

verify you are using the proper pop (or imap) and smtp servers for the account in question.

i have several email accounts (imap) and I have no issues.

Upvote 0
Perhaps the glitch is in the "auto download message" option, which I had selected due to travel data strategy. I have unchecked it, as that might explain why an email would arrive with only attachments showing, but the body of the message missing. BUT, scrolling down on the message did not result in the text appearing, as I might have expected since the settings explanation by that option says "Download message body when I scroll down."

The mail size limit is "maximum size."
The POP/SMTP settings are the same as my laptop, where all messages have arrived whole (and if those settings were incorrect, would it really block just the body of the message from arriving, but let an attachment through?).
Spamarrest acts as my internet service provider, blocking unauthorized messages, and has worked fine on my devices for over 10 years.

I presume this is a glitch with the HTC email software. Because if it was an incorrect setting, why would it be intermittent?

Summary: I intermittently receive emails with attachments where the body/text is missing, and the attachments are there, ONLY on my HTC One phone... the entire email is intact on my laptop. From the same sender, using his same device, I occasionally receive entire intact messages, including attachments, on my HTC One.

Upvote 0
I have run into this on a few occasions. I don't know if it is the same. In any case, I have had some emails that if I view them through the Stock email app, they don't show anything in the body of the message. If I view the email through the Gmail app though, everything shows up just fine. I always assumed it was some weird formatting from the Sender, and since it only happened a few times, I never went too far into it. I know that one in particular actually came from HTC, relating to the $25 Google Play credit. Every time I got an email about it from them, if I used the stock email app, the message would be blank. If I opened the same message in Gmail, it had everything in the message, text and graphics.

Don't know if this is at all the same issue you are having, but if it is being sent to your Gmail account, can you try opening the actual Gmail app and see if it displays?

Upvote 0
So I shot some video that I wanted to send to a friend on my phone. The file was UNDER the 25 mb limit for gmail (around 24.5). I created a new email and sent it to myself as I wanted to see if it would go through. When I sent the email it just sat there syncing for a good 30-40 minutes and hung in my outbox. Eventually I just deleted it out of my outbox within the gmail app but now I can' send ANY emails. Just sits there still and keeps syncing. I tried turning auto-sync off and on within the settings, force closed gmail app, rebooted the phone, and clearing the cache. Still nothing. As of right now I have a test message with no attachments just sitting in my outbox...meanwhile my iPad sent the video through just fine. Gotta love Android....

Upvote 0
Go into your ennail account wirg a web browsee (GMail ) and delete the file out of your out box.

I've gone to gmail.com on my computer and there is no "outbox". Just sent mail of which the email isn't in (probably because it was never sent). Unless Im missin something I don't see it. I looked under the "more" options on the left sidebar and just see chats, all mail, and trash...only place I've seen an outbox is in the gmail app on my phone and I removed it out of there.

Upvote 0
Force closing was one of the first things I tried as I stated in my first post. I had to uninstall the gmail updates and re-install them for gmail to re-sync properly. Also wasn't bashing, just stating a fact...and it's not a local issue/quirk. Shouldn't have to use work-arounds in order to send a simple file attachment that adheres to what Google allows. Apparently large file attachments sent through the gmail app get stuck quite a bit from what I've read. Try sending yourself something 20+mb through it and see what happens...

no need to bash android. sounds like a local issue/quirk.. ;p)

force close gmail.

if you can open up the email, see if you can move it to draft folder or some other folder thats SYNCED on your desktop.

Upvote 0
dont want to derail this discussion from the main focus, but i will say i dont have any issue sending large files as long as they are under the gmail file size limit, so i dont have the issues you are talking about today.

nowadays i use cloud storage services to send files.

in your accounts and sync tab, verify if there are any error messages/sync error messages.
go to yoru google dashboard:

https://www.google.com/dashboard‎

if you are using chrome sync, clear the data there and resync.

verify you are on a reliable data connection with no data restrictions (i am sure you are good here, just wanted to mention)

i ASSume you are not rooted?

what carrier?

worst case, you can factory reset and/or remove the gmail account and re-set up.

looking for software gremlins over the internet is difficult to diagnose.

Upvote 0
Hope someone has encountered this and its not just me... few days ago my htc one m7 email app (used OTHER to setup AOL Email) used for AOL Mail stopped receiving email. After searching the net and trying different settings (imap ports, ssl, no ssl) the only settings that now seem to work is setting the incoming to NO Security and the outgoing to NO Security. Until a few days ago my settings for AOL Mail used IMAP SSL incoming Port 993 and SMTP SSL outgoing Port 465. Now they don't work. I don't get any error message, it just won't receive email. I have no problem sending email. Anyone else seeing this problem? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones