1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General question about e-mail on Android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by snapcount, Sep 1, 2011.

1. snapcount

snapcount Lurker

My dad and me got our first smartphones a few days ago and I have a general question about e-mail on Android.

My dad uses Windows Live Mail application on his laptop to access his company POP3 e-mail. He'd now like to be able to send and receive that mail on his smartphone as well. Now setting up POP3 on his phone is easy but... he needs to have sent messages saved and available on his laptop. Is there some smart way of doing this? How do people who use their smartphones and laptops for sending mail keep their sent messages? Obviously he could send his e-mail to himself as BCC and then receive it when he checks mail on his laptop, but that seems a bit messy.

He has a Samsung Galaxy S II (Gingerbread)

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. pentel

pentel Well-Known Member

You don't use POP for that because POP offers one-way downloading of your messages from the mail server to your laptop.

To have the messages saved on the phone and the laptop as well, you would need to use IMAP. IMAP offers two-way syncing between your mail server and mail client. So the messsage you downloaded on the phone will also be available on the laptop and vice versa.

IMAP settings for GMail are as follows:

Incoming settings
    IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
    Port: 993
    Security type: SSL (always)

Outgoing settings
    SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
    Port: 465
    Security type: SSL (always)

IMAP is not supported by Hotmail (Windows Live). There are workarounds like using a third party email services such as IzyMail.

snapcount likes this.
  3. snapcount

snapcount Lurker

Thanks, I didn't know anything about IMAP, I always used POP3. I've set up Gmail to send and receive from his company server POP3 and now he has the same email on his phone, in Gmail and in his Windows Live Mail (or Outlook, I'm not sure).

I think every smartphone should come with this explanation on a huge sticker right over the screen.

4. jrizal

jrizal Newbie

A side note...

Android (and iOS) will not (and probably) support Live Mail officially. As of the moment you need a third party app to do that. AFAIK, only WP7 (obviously) supports Live Mail.