• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General questions, my first Android device

Hi there,

I just purchased my first Android device (well, technically it's the second one but the one I had before was broken so I ordered this one the same day instead) a few days ago. I've been using Blackberry OS and iOS devices so I'm a bit confused by some things available / not available in Android.

So, first things first: my tablet is a P3110, Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" and it's running the pre-installed version of Android, so 4.1.1.

I was able to answer most of my questions through Google but then again I have some more complicated questions and hope I'll be able to find answers on here.

• How do I launch apps automatically when I start the system? I.e. Skype.
  • Will the tablet automatically go into energy conservation mode when I lock the screen?
  • How can I take screenshots? I tried like 5 or 6 shortcuts I found on Google and the "Screenshot Ultimate" app but nothing worked.
  • How can I rename files / folders through the file manager? All I could do was copy the folder / file.
  • How can I change the language in Google Currents? I'm living in France but like to read English / German newspapers. I tried the "Search for more" button but it didn't bring up any results.

That's all I can think for now, thanks for your replies. :)

• Will the tablet automatically go into energy conservation mode when I lock the screen?
  • How can I take screenshots? I tried like 5 or 6 shortcuts I found on Google and the "Screenshot Ultimate" app but nothing worked.
  • How can I rename files / folders through the file manager? All I could do was copy the folder / file.

That's all I can think for now, thanks for your replies. :)

• My screen automatically turns off when I lock the screen. Check under the Settings>>>Security if yours doesn't ; not sure if this is a setting or specific to my model (GT-P3113)

• Look under Settings>>>Display, there is a Quick Launch options for the Screenshot key. This is if you want to set the key as always available. It was the default when I got mine. It'll be the fourth key from the left on the bottom.

• If you're using the stock file manager (My Files), select a file, then press the options symbol on the upper right and Rename.

Reactions: iPhone User
Upvote 0
In order:

1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autostart
2. No, but there are apps that can help you. Just use google.
3. Press and hold the Home button and the power button as the same time to take screen shots.
4. You need a more robust file manager app. Again, google.
5. Click the menu button, and poke around for the setting. It's there.

1) Thanks - that's for one app only but it's good enough for Skype! :)
2) Any ideas which one? I'd hate to go through several ones and play trial & error especially since I don't want to root the device.
3) Doesn't work, I found that shortcut through Google. All shortcuts like volume up + power etc. are not working either.
Edit 3) I just found another one, POWER + VOLUME DOWN. It's necessary to press them at the exact same time, even if the first one is being pressed a split second earlier it won't work.
4) AnciusD cleared that up, my bad - it's indeed in the options tab.
5) Just found it, it's not in the settings but the "Customize" button in the feed itself.

• My screen automatically turns off when I lock the screen. Check under the Settings>>>Security if yours doesn't ; not sure if this is a setting or specific to my model (GT-P3113)

• Look under Settings>>>Display, there is a Quick Launch options for the Screenshot key. This is if you want to set the key as always available. It was the default when I got mine. It'll be the fourth key from the left on the bottom.

• If you're using the stock file manager (My Files), select a file, then press the options symbol on the upper right and Rename.

1) Yes, mine does as well - I was just curious if it'll disable WiFi as well if I do. The iPhone does, for example. Not a biggie anyway. :)
2) It's not there, I checked that before and again just now. All I can change there is

• Background
  • Brightness
  • Screen Timeout
  • Font Type
  • Font Size
  • Show Battery In %

3) Indeed, I must be blind - stupid question, sorry. :)

I've marked open questions in red, maybe someone has an idea how to fix this. Thank you guys so much. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones