1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root General questions on a rooted Droid 2's capabilities

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by YankeeDudeL, Jun 22, 2011.

1. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I've been rocking the OG Droid since Day 1 (quite proudly, might I add), which has been rooted since around January or February of last year. Long story short, I should be receiving an insurance replacement today which I expect will be a D2 (but not positive). So I've got a few questions for you guys.

As I stated, I got a rooted OG. I also have a rooted DInc, and a soon to be rooted Droid Charge. What they all have in common is an unlocked bootloader. So while I'm a pretty experienced root user, I'm very unfamiliar with what I can expect to get out of a rooted D2. I understand I won't be able to change the kernel. Will that affect my ability to over or underclock?

Also, what type of performance enhancements can I expect? I know benchmarks are merely just numbers, but is there a significant increase in say Quadrant or Linpack when rooted and OCed?

What about Motoblur? Can I get rid of it entirely? Part's of it so I at least barely notice it? Can I get rid of or at least freeze bloatware?

I have limited experience in playing with a D2. I remember when it first came out, I was comparing it to my rooted OG. The screen transitions weren't nearly as fast, which kinda sets off my OCD. After I've tweaked everything I can, will this be less noticeable? Would LauncherPro by itself improve this?

That's about what I can throw out right now. I'm sure I'll have more as time goes by, and I start getting feedback. Like I said, I don't even know for sure that I will be getting a D2, in which case this post will be moot, though I think it's fair to be prepared for it.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

2. RJT185

RJT185 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    1) No. Several ROMs and SideApps allow you to under/over clock the D2.

2) Performance enhacement are anecdotal, it all depends on your usage.

3) See #2. Personally I like LP a lot better than stock.

4) Highly suggest to stay tuned as it seems CM7 looks like a very solid option for people trying to squeeze the most out of their D2 hardware. Same goes for the Liberty ROM.

3. JDunc

JDunc Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Image Processor
    Arkansas
    My phone was rather laggy and would freeze up with Blur on my phone. Flashed to Fission once it got going and stable and never turned back. Much better phone imo after Blur is off.

4. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Marketing
    Atlanta, Ga
    Have you tried Fab's Apex 2.0 GB RoM yet? I'm running that on my D2 now...No issues....And i switched over from Liberty After coming from CM....This is the best out of the three for me so far...

5. RJT185

RJT185 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Does APEX 2.0GB need the phone to be SBF'ed up to the GB-Leak first?

6. lrv

lrv Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2010
    Virginia
    - SBF
    - z4root
    - bootstrap
    - flash GB leak
    - bootstrap
    - flash Apex 2.0 GB

Apex is an awesome ROM, BTW. However, Fabolous just released an update for the DroidX, and the D2 is usually close behind.