• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General questions thread/discussion (New to Android/M7?)

Just a couple of days in, and a few questions for the veterans (I am coming from a Galaxy Nexus):

1. How do I get all of the standard contacts off the top of my contacts list?

2. Is it possible to get the folder and icon names to go away? (short of using a new launcher)

3. Does the white plastic trim ever get dirty?

4. How do I keep it from telling me every time there is wifi available? In the advanced settings, I have the Notify Me unchecked, but there is not another setting for such notifications that I can see.

5. Are the wallpapers all static or can you set it wider to pan as you move from screen to screen?

6. Is there an option to tap anywhere on the screen to take a picture, or do I need to hit the little camera?

Thanks for any help!!

Upvote 0
Just a couple of days in, and a few questions for the veterans (I am coming from a Galaxy Nexus):

1. How do I get all of the standard contacts off the top of my contacts list? - Not really sure what you mean?

2. Is it possible to get the folder and icon names to go away? (short of using a new launcher) - Nope, only by using another launcher.

3. Does the white plastic trim ever get dirty? - I've never noticed it get dirty.

4. How do I keep it from telling me every time there is wifi available? In the advanced settings, I have the Notify Me unchecked, but there is not another setting for such notifications that I can see. - That is the setting, are you still receiving notifications that there's Wifi available then?

5. Are the wallpapers all static or can you set it wider to pan as you move from screen to screen? - Nope, wallpapers don't scroll on Sense, you'd have to use another launcher.

6. Is there an option to tap anywhere on the screen to take a picture, or do I need to hit the little camera? - Nope

Thanks for any help!!
1. How do I get all of the standard contacts off the top of my contacts list? - I'm not sure what you mean?

2. Is it possible to get the folder and icon names to go away? (short of using a new launcher) - Nope, you'd have to use another launcher for that.

3. Does the white plastic trim ever get dirty? - I've never seen it get dirty.

4. How do I keep it from telling me every time there is wifi available? In the advanced settings, I have the Notify Me unchecked, but there is not another setting for such notifications that I can see. - That is the setting, are you still receiving notifications that Wifi is available then?

5. Are the wallpapers all static or can you set it wider to pan as you move from screen to screen? - Nope, wallpapers don't scroll on Sense. You'd have to use another launcher for that.

6. Is there an option to tap anywhere on the screen to take a picture, or do I need to hit the little camera? - You'll have to use the camera app.

Upvote 0
gibbs, you know in your contacts how the first group of contacts are all of the #BAL, #DATA, etc. I want to get rid of those.

Yes, that "wifi available" is still showing up, even with "Notify Me" turned off. I read that if I tap the notification when it comes up, I can go to the Android Services app and force close it which will stop it until a reboot. But it won't force close. Also there is a check box in there for turning notifications off and on, but it is greyed out.

That is good about it not getting dirty, but too bad about the other stuff. Thanks!

Upvote 0

2. Is it possible to get the folder and icon names to go away? (short of using a new launcher)
Thanks for any help!!

YES, it's possible to remove a folder label/have it blank:

Once you've created a folder on your desktop, Tap on it > Tap on the text "UNNAMED FOLDER" >

At this point, the text should have disappeared & your keyboard should have opened/popped-up.

Now, tap on the SPACE BAR > Tap on the "+" sign in the folder text field > Tap on the folder to close the folder & you should now have a cleaner looking desktop folders sans label/name.

Reactions: Vance
Upvote 0
Thanks for any help!!
YES, it's possible to remove a folder label/have it blank:
Thanks, that worked perfectly!

Now,to get rid of those pesky desktop icon labels from SENSE........... :stupido2:

The time is ripe for HTC to again think outside the box & purchase/license HOLO/APEX/NOVA Launcher & be done w/it.........

Upvote 0
gibbs, you know in your contacts how the first group of contacts are all of the #BAL, #DATA, etc. I want to get rid of those.
Erm, actually no. I don't have those contacts at the beginning, can you take a screenshot and post it here please.

Can you not long press on the contact and delete it?

Yes, that "wifi available" is still showing up, even with "Notify Me" turned off. I read that if I tap the notification when it comes up, I can go to the Android Services app and force close it which will stop it until a reboot. But it won't force close. Also there is a check box in there for turning notifications off and on, but it is greyed out.

That is good about it not getting dirty, but too bad about the other stuff. Thanks!
That is strange, maybe a bug that HTC will need to fix.

Upvote 0
go into the folder you want.

tap the vertical dots icon top right.

select "move to" or "copy to".

select the photos.

tap next

select the folder

if you want to delete multiple files in a folder

first tap "delete" at the bottom

then tap the files you want to delete.

boom done.

you can also attach to a computer via usb cable and do it that way or use apps like wifi file explorer pro to allow this option wirelessly .

Upvote 0
go into the folder you want.

tap the vertical dots icon top right.

select "move to" or "copy to".

select the photos.

tap next

select the folder

if you want to delete multiple files in a folder

first tap "delete" at the bottom

then tap the files you want to delete.

boom done.

you can also attach to a computer via usb cable and do it that way or use apps like wifi file explorer pro to allow this option wirelessly .

Ah, I see, that is backwards from stock Android, but works perfectly, thanks!

Erm, actually no. I don't have those contacts at the beginning, can you take a screenshot and post it here please.

I am going to attempt to attach a screenshot showing the very top of my contacts list.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxEpWYB5ISZZT2FZanZDN044aHc/edit?usp=sharing

Upvote 0
a factory reset won't touch your SD card. i had to do one on my phone because it just up and died and rebooted itself into a boot loop. all a factory reset does is format your /data partition so all your apps and home screen settings go bye bye.

He's using an HTC One, so no SD card. In my experience, a factory reset deletes everything on the on board storage. Just back up the photos to a PC

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Hello, I'm so sorry if this is repetitive. I am VERY new to Android - just upgraded from iPhone to the Verizon HTC One. I'm loving it so far! Glad I've made the change - but I did notice I haven't been receiving my group texts that I was involved in previously with my iPhone. I am able to send messages but not receive them. I don't understand; I've turned off my iMessage and made sure my Group Messaging is turned on. Any help please?

Upvote 0
iMessage is an app and service unique to Apple and one that they push? encourage? default to? get everyone using it.

Looks like SMS, but is not SMS.

And there's no bridge to iMessage for Android.

Likely there won't be.

It's one of the biggest demands for iPhone switchers and the common answer given by that side is - wait for it - you can't have iMessage on Android because Android is inferior.

The solution that more and more people are turning to is Whatsapp.

Everyone goes with Whatsapp, gets a Whatsapp account and it's the same deal as iMessage except it doesn't care what brand of phone you own.

On a similar note, even though Android had videochat first, and actually better for quite some time, Apple has convinced a lot of people that the Apple-only Facetime is the answer.

Instead, more and more people are turning to ooVoo - it's been around for a long time,and does a great job. My iPhone buddies swear it's better than Facetime and if they say so, I believe them.

The problem here is we have a new Android bud - welcome to Android and the forums! - who's caught in the vendor lock-in pressure.

What do you call it when a company gets it in their heads that they are so powerful, rich and have so much market share that they can sell the idea that people want to communicate with other devices rather than other people?

If you say that's an iPhone, you're only a little bit right.

The company that perfected that was RIM, you may know them by their products - BlackBerry.

3 years ago, BlackBerry switchers were caught up in the same exact pinch over BlackBerry Messenger. They promised an Android version of the app, right around the corner. It's finally supposed to be coming out real soon now.

And now no one cares.

We buy phones to communicate with each other.

We expect to be able to talk, text, email, group message and videochat regardless of brand.

A couple of my family members switched from cheap, crappy Androids to iPhones. Did I ask why they didn't get better Androids? Of course not.

I asked one question only - if they were getting good reception now.

Because being able to connect is the whole ball game, right there.

Some circles of friends will get this fundamental concept and switch to Whatsapp or a similar app/service.

Others won't, believing that somehow Android is inferior.

Facetime and iMessage took off because you can fool all of the people some of the time.

Switching away can be slow or fast because you can fool some people all of the time.

But ask the BlackBerry executives - you cannot fool all the people all of the time.

Facetime and iMessage - dead already, just waiting to find out that people want to talk to people.

Unless they bridge to Android, because now, we're bigger.

Upvote 0
He's using an HTC One, so no SD card. In my experience, a factory reset deletes everything on the on board storage. Just back up the photos to a PC

Impressive, someone read the post. :)

Again, thanks.

Have since moved on to yet another phone. (Sony's Xperia Ion)
but have had other issues with that one, and I am currently awaiting it's return.

Upvote 0
is there anyway, like on other devices, to UNtie the ringtone and notification volume? This becomes QUITE annoying at work?

On most devices android 4.0+ the ringtone and notification volume are linked and cannot be changed separately. There is a way to change this in some custom ROMs, but you're likely out of luck with the stock rom, sorry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones