• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General questions thread/discussion (New to Android/M7?)

On my HTC One I have a group with 218 contacts in it. I am using the stock app. I really like it and don't want to change, because it allows me to import group to bcc.
The email will not send. It tries to but says it can't send.
I can do it from my computer, and smaller groups (like 20) send fine.
Any thoughts from the experts?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
On my HTC One I have a group with 218 contacts in it. I am using the stock app. I really like it and don't want to change, because it allows me to import group to bcc.
The email will not send. It tries to but says it can't send.
I can do it from my computer, and smaller groups (like 20) send fine.
Any thoughts from the experts?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Just to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly, you're trying to send an email, with the stock app, out to 218 people?

Upvote 0
Are vibrate and silent treated the same on the Sprint One?
I could be wrong but in my brief 2 week stint with the One I thought I recalled having the phone on vibrate and I think it was still making start up sounds (original software, yadda yadda yadda)?

This is one of those options that can vary per carrier as in alot of cases each carrier modifies the boot animation and its options.

Reactions: GuitarG20
Upvote 0
Are vibrate and silent treated the same on the Sprint One?
I could be wrong but in my brief 2 week stint with the One I thought I recalled having the phone on vibrate and I think it was still making start up sounds (original software, yadda yadda yadda)?

This is one of those options that can vary per carrier as in alot of cases each carrier modifies the boot animation and its options.

I have the Sprint One, and generally have my phone on vibrate. I have no start up sounds when it is on vibrate.

Upvote 0
I have the Sprint One, and generally have my phone on vibrate. I have no start up sounds when it is on vibrate.

Thanks. I guess the memory of it is all a bit fuzzy at this point, being almost 9 months ago. I'm appalled at the length of time it has taken HTC to bring the One Max to market. After my hopes of getting the One were dashed I decided I'd hold on and wait for the then rumored One Max instead.

Upvote 0
My old HTC phone was just crashed by a Google Play update after I told the phone to install 22 recommended application updates. It locked up and turned off, but I was able to power it on. Then it locked up again, the charging indicator turned on, and the phone went cold. The procedure to power off the phone, by holding down the Power button until the device restarts, failed. Even after I unplugged the charging cable, the charging indicator light did not turn off.

The solution was to pull out the battery and reboot. Unfortunately, the HTC One doesn't appear to allow this solution without resorting to tearing the phone apart. Is there a pin switch somewhere on the motherboard of the HTC One that I could depress to physically disconnect the battery power?

Upvote 0
there is no "kill switch" on the device.

short of physically disconnecting the battery from the phone, there is no other means to remove all power from what I know.

what are you trying to do? what is the issue that you think you need to remove power?

im sure you can solve any software issues by doing a factory reset.

Are you rooted?

what carrier?

Upvote 0
wel guys
i updated my android htc one to 4.2.2
so everything seemed fine but now when i look at my
storage space i see 12.43 in overige meaning in dutch other wich is not tappable to see what is taking so much space

its a 32 gig and 12.43 gig is taken now

why is this how can i help this and is maybe updating it to 4.3 by root helping to solve this problem

because my phone is not rooted

Upvote 0
I think "other" means "everything which isn't music, pictures or apps". My "other" is smaller than your (about 9GB) but from the size I infer that some of it is system files, some of it is other personal data which don't fit those few media categories (e.g. backups). It's not a very helpful category since it clearly mixes stuff you can change and stuff you can't.

BTW Grettz is as new here as you are. Let me welcome you both :)

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
I think "other" means "everything which isn't music, pictures or apps". My "other" is smaller than your (about 9GB) but from the size I infer that some of it is system files, some of it is other personal data which don't fit those few media categories (e.g. backups). It's not a very helpful category since it clearly mixes stuff you can change and stuff you can't.

BTW Grettz is as new here as you are. Let me welcome you both :)
but most people have 7gb other storage instead of 12.43 and when i open my folder on my computer and check storage it says 18 gb left for usage so whats the problem because
18+7=25
and i have the 32 so
apps is 865 mb
music 54 mb
fotos 204 mb
downloads 99 mb
other 12,43 gb
avalable storage 18 gb

Upvote 0
but most people have 7gb other storage instead of 12.43 and when i open my folder on my computer and check storage it says 18 gb left for usage so whats the problem because
18+7=25
and i have the 32 so
apps is 865 mb
music 54 mb
fotos 204 mb
downloads 99 mb
other 12,43 gb
avalable storage 18 gb

I'm not sure how to help in this case. Your numbers add up to 32GB total space. Well, technically, it adds up to around 31.6GB of space, which is pretty normal. Just because it is 32GB, doesn't mean you get a full 32GB of usable space. Same thing on pretty much and computer. Once you format the drive, some of that space is lost. if what you are asking for is, what is taking up the 12.43 GB listed under Other, we can't really tell. You can install a file manager (I use Astro, but there are a ton out there), and have a look around that way. You still won't be able to see everything unless you are rooted.

Everyone's amount under Other is going to be different. On my Sprint HTC One, I have been running it since shortly after it was launched, and never wiped it. Right now, I have only 6.3GB listed under Other.

There are a number of cleanup utilities out there, which might help. Of course, just using the built in Make More Space option in the Storage settings, might be enough to clean it up for you.

If I am misunderstanding your question, I apologize.

Upvote 0
To get the rest of the Linux commands without root, check out "BusyBox Non-Root"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=burrows.apps.busybox

To get a way to enter commands -

Check out "Android Terminal Emulator"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm

Open the Terminal Emulator, enter this command -

df

Then post the screen shot of it here. Best way to do that -

Check out "Android Forums"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.androidforumscom

That will list storage to each of your filesystems and bypass the ambiguities of user-level tools trying to be friendly about the real statistics.

Then we may provide better answers.

Upvote 0
there is no "kill switch" on the device.

It's basically a new phone from Verizon. I only have a few applications installed, although I would like to get rid of the Verizon-bundled applications that refuse to be deleted and seem to be taking up a lot of disk space.

I'm surprised holding down the power button didn't reset the phone, since that is a kernel-level kill switch (of sorts) that simulates a battery pull. Did the capacitive buttons start flashing at some point while you were holding down the power button?

The charging-indicator light stayed on, but the capacitive buttons were dark. I've had this problem before with other hardware. One device was a new DVD recorder that crashed, and holding the power button down for 15 seconds as instructed did not turn off the power; I resorted to pulling the plug from the wall socket. Another device was a printer that crashed and refused to respond to the power button, which I also fixed by pulling the plug. Yet another problem happened on my desktop PC, which didn't come up from Sleep correctly and subsequently froze, and the power button likewise refused to respond; it would flash, but the system wouldn't turn off.

That's why reset buttons are important. They used to be standard on PCs and other handheld devices, but now everything seems to be going to soft-touch buttons that aren't connected to a circuit. Many manufacturers are overlooking this important feature, but when the soft-switch fails, you're screwed without a screwdriver and some time to break into the battery compartment.

As this incident has reminded me of why I like access to the battery, I think that I just became a Samsung customer. I know a bunch of people who are very happy with their Samsung phones, and I feel so left out without their Touch feature. Upgrade time! HTC has a nice product in the HTC One, and I really like the fancy speakers, but HTC could have done a better job with the battery design.

Upvote 0
wel guys
i updated my android htc one to 4.2.2
so everything seemed fine but now when i look at my
storage space i see 12.43 in overige meaning in dutch other wich is not tappable to see what is taking so much space

its a 32 gig and 12.43 gig is taken now

why is this how can i help this and is maybe updating it to 4.3 by root helping to solve this problem

because my phone is not rooted
Not long after getting my One I was puzzled by both available ram (1.5/2.0 gb) and available storage (22.0/32.0 gb). There was no way I'd used 10 gb of storage, and I expected to see the full 2.0 gb of ram, so I queried it with HTC support. Both apparent discrepancies are due to system usage and storage.

According to HTC, the user has 1.5 gb of ram available and 24.0 gb of storage available, and looking at my current status I reckon that most, if not all, of the system storage is in 'other'.

:)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So i just bought a HTC1, my first android phone and i think i have made a huge mistake. its horrendous. i have never used a phone that need so much work in my life. the stock email client doesn't DL all my emails, the text client looks like something from the 10 years ago, the so called phone book which they call people has so much info that i don't have nor do i need on people and the large grey boxes of non faces look horrible. it all seems to be centered around FB and twitter and again i have no interest in. the top bar has a notification saying i have 255 VM but my VM is off and i can't get rid of that, the stock calendar has no month written on it only 10, or 9 ect ect. why on earth would you not write the name of the month?? and the list just goes on and on. im really hoping something changes here bc i like the look and feel of the phone and the screen size but i have to say if this is what android is about its a nightmare and way too much work. im looking through these threads ect for answers but this is going to have a very short life for me if this is the amount of work i have to do to to operate this phone.

Upvote 0
Hi The U,

You've a long list of things there, and I can't address all of them. For some, such as your email problem, it would probably be helpful to post again with more information (who your email provider is, for example), perhaps even start a dedicated thread.

On the phone book, yes, there are a lot of fields, but if you don't fill them you won't see them except if you edit the contact. For most of mine if I click on the contact I just get a list of phone numbers and a couple of personalisation options (e.g. ringtone for that person. The placeholder for a photo is normal on android (in some views it's bigger with the HTC software than some others, but I've also seen uglier on other versions). Most of my contacts don't have photos, and while I remember this being a bit annoying when I got my first Android I don't really notice it now. I don't use FB or Twitter, and don't notice anything about them in my phonebook (there is an "updates" tab in the person details, but I only just discovered that while looking to see what annoyance I might be missing!). So I can tell you from experience that it's perfectly possible to just use this as a phonebook without any social networking stuff.

If you go into settings > apps > all you can select apps like FB and Twitter which you don't wish to use and disable them (click on the app in the list and there should be a "disable" button). If you do that they disappear from the app drawer, and the only place you'll see them is in that settings menu. That may tidy things up a bit for you.

I don't use the stock calendar app (I think I have probably removed or disabled it). There are many alternatives in the Play Store, and there are many threads about calendar apps in our Android Applications section (search that forum for "calendar" and you'll find plenty of options and discussions). I mainly use Business Calendar, but always have at least 3 calendar apps on my phone. Which app is best depends on your tastes (e.g. I use agenda views a lot, month views rarely, so what works best for me might not be what works for you).

Similarly for messages, if you don't like the stock app there are many replacements available in the Play Store (some of which offer a lot of options for customising the appearance). Just turn off notifications in the stock app's settings so that you don't get 2 notifications for every message which arrives. I'm currently using the stock app, but with my previous phone was using Chomp, before that Pansi, before that Go SMS or Handcent. Pick an app you like, set it up how you like, then forget about it and just use it.

I've never heard of that voicemail notification issue. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion. It could be the fact that voicemail is off that's making clearing it difficult (if the phone received the wrong signal from the network, and you can't enter the VM system to get the flag cleared because it's disabled? Just guessing here).

You don't say what system you used before, but a new platform can require a bit of adjustment, especially if you are used to things working a particular way. I find that if I make a major change (e.g. changing to a completely different ROM) I notice the things that appear worse quicker than I spot the improvements). My first rule is always to explore the settings in whatever app I'm using - remember also that a long press is equivalent of a right-click with a mouse, and often brings up other options. My second is that if the built-in app doesn't do things the way I want, there will be alternatives available that I can use instead (I use HTC's phonebook, messages and camera apps, but use alternatives for pretty much everything else).

Good luck :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, i use my yahoo email which i have had for years and years and i have come for using iphones. what i don't understand with this is the basic android OS seems to suck and everyone has to go looking to find better apps to replace what's not very good as it comes on the phone. also while looking around to replace these said shortfalls a lot of people review the app and say is no good only works with a certain phone or it seems to do only part of what you're trying to replace. its just at this point and it could be an unfair statement that this is not an easy phone to use and is a lot of work. will it run fine once set up?? i have no clue bc im so far from being anywhere near that ballpark right now. im seeing and hearing put this launcher on and it will change this and do that to change that and i just have no clue how to keep up with it at this point. i do have a question though?? how many launchers can you have on your phone at once?? and its also telling me to wipe the old launcher which i take is sense clean but i dont know how to do this and if its in the top of the phone, then it wont let me swipe them away. also what is this app try?? what's if for and what's its function?? between there and my home pages i see apps repeated over and over. whats the point of that?? sorry for so many questions but this seems very odd to me at this point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones