• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

General video questions

hapy

Jun 11, 2010
Just got my first Android-based phone (Droid Incredible). I've done a couple of trial videos and keep having the same problems. I'll email them to myself, download them and there's no sound. And they're in a format that half my media players don't recognize (3gp).

I'd really like to be able to do a quick video and email it off to friends w/o having asking them to jump through hoops. I'm surprised Google's made playing a video back such a pain.

Help a newbie...got some tips?

As far as I know there is no way to change the format that the phone records in. What you can do however is download the video to your computer and then it through the program of your choice, and convert it to another format. I haven't used Windows in years but I seem to remember that the Windows Movie Maker in XP was fairly capable when it comes to switching to another format. Maybe you don't use Windows though...I don't know.

I don't have the Incredible, but I have it's brother, the HTC Evo. When I launch my youtube app there is a button near the top-right of the screen to take a video. Once finished, it offers me the ability to upload the video to my youtube account right then. I assume that the Incredible has this same functionality.

Instead of emailing the videos to family/friends, is it possible to just upload them to a youtube account? Then you can just direct them to youtube and they should be able to watch the videos without worrying about the codec (assuming they have the appropriate flash player installed).

Upvote 0
As far as I know there is no way to change the format that the phone records in. What you can do however is download the video to your computer and then it through the program of your choice, and convert it to another format. I haven't used Windows in years but I seem to remember that the Windows Movie Maker in XP was fairly capable when it comes to switching to another format. Maybe you don't use Windows though...I don't know.

I don't have the Incredible, but I have it's brother, the HTC Evo. When I launch my youtube app there is a button near the top-right of the screen to take a video. Once finished, it offers me the ability to upload the video to my youtube account right then. I assume that the Incredible has this same functionality.

Instead of emailing the videos to family/friends, is it possible to just upload them to a youtube account? Then you can just direct them to youtube and they should be able to watch the videos without worrying about the codec (assuming they have the appropriate flash player installed).
This. It's much more hassle free. And your friends and family will thank you because they won't have giant video files filling their inbox. And your video size cap will be much higher.

Sent from an HTC Eris

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones