1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Genre->Artist->Album navigation for music and podcast files?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Advait, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Advait

Advait Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2012
    Serving the Guru!
    Here, there, and everywhere.
    Hi All,

I just switched from Windows Mobile 6.1 to my new Nexus 5. On my old WinMo phone I had an app called Pocket Music Player that allowed me to navigate my music files by Genre then Artist then Album. That made it easy to find my desired files. PowerAmp can also do this but PowerAmp has no bookmarking! :( I need bookmarking.

So far I have not found any other Android music players that have the navigation I want *and* bookmarking. AstroPlayer doesn't have this navigation. Maple Player doesn't recognize the "podcast" genre. :( RocketPlayer does not allow you to create bookmarks (only import them). :(

Anyone know of a music player that has the navigation I want *and* bookmarking? Thanks! :)

Kind Regards,

Advait

Advertisement

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Google Music player allows you to Favorite songs, or create playlists for them, while containing the Genre, Artist and Album categorizations that you are looking for :)

Advait likes this.
  3. Advait

Advait Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2012
    Serving the Guru!
    Here, there, and everywhere.
    OK, thanks for your reply. I tried the "Play Music" app but I don't like the UI on it. I found a partial solution with the "Music Player Remix" (MPR) app. Here's the email I sent to the MPR developer:

Hi, I just installed Music Player Remix (MPR) on my Nexus 5. It looks beautiful and very well designed. Great work!

Small problem: I have lots of mp3 files tagged with Genre = "Podcast". When I tap on Genre then Podcast then Album List, none of the albums appeared. It said "No albums where found in the Podcast genre" or something like that.

I was able to fix this. Here's what I had to do: On all my podcast mp3 files I changed the genre from "Podcast" to "netcast".

That didn't work so then I created a new directory on my Android called "Net Radio Files". Then I moved all my "netcast" files to that directory. Then it worked! Yay! Now I can see all my podcast files sorted by album.

I have a request: Can you change MPR so I don't have to go thru all these steps? Can you make it so that MPR can recognize the "Album" tag in mp3 files where the genre tag = "Podcast"?

Thanks! I plan to purchase MPR at the end of the trial period. Thanks for making great software! It looks very elegant and the menus are all beautifully designed. Cheers,

Advait

The developer replied that for some strange reason Android prevents you from querying Album and Artist in the Podcast directory. The developer also said he'll consider adding the ability to also sort by Artist then Album. That would be ideal for me. So it looks like I may get a full solution in the future. :)

Cheers,

Advait

4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sorry I couldn't help you completely.

However, good to hear you took the initiative to contact the Developer. Usually devs are really nice and respond and love hearing suggestions from users that download their applications. :)

Advait likes this.