• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GeoMessage

Hi Chuck,
It sends a message to all people in a geographic area. You can specify any area you would like. Like an email you click the "To" address.... the app then opens a map which allows you to pan/zoom to the area you would like to send the message.

Sending out police alerts/amber alerts or even creating a neighborhood watch was one of my main motivations for initially writing the app.

Others will not have to be logged in to receive your messages, just have the app downloaded or check the website. SMS, I'm currently looking into trying to hook this into the system.

Thanks for the feedback,
Ross

Upvote 0
Others will not have to be logged in to receive your messages, just have the app downloaded or check the website.

Thanks for your response.
So people must have the app installed to be able to receive my message? So it is like a chat or ping app?

If, after registering and logging in, I compose a message your name appears as the sender. Not mine...
How do I change that?

Upvote 0
correct... i think of it personally as more of a ping app ... but its whatever you would like...

The sender as me... ooops missed that one in testing... You'll be the sender when you send it... i forgot to update that text field in the sending of a message... will fix that asap.. Thanks for the heads up on that one...

Thanks,
Ross

Upvote 0
correct... i think of it personally as more of a ping app ... but its whatever you would like...

Thanks again.
Yes I saw the sender change to my name when I sent my message. But your name in there (at first) is of course confusing.

But since my message can only be received by others who have GeoMessage installed this app has a distribution problem: nobody's got it (yet). I just sent a message to an urban area with a 3 mile radius. No response...
For a second test I sent a message to the whole country (the size of a US state). No response...

Upvote 0
Just did a 3rd test. To all of Europe. But the message hangs in the sending process: 'submitting message' for 5 minutes already. Must be a bug. Will have to kill it of course.

my neighborhood sends out all notifications using this app.

But, if I understand it correctly, only people with GeoMessaging installed can receive your (and others') messages, right?

Upvote 0
i have thought about doing similar things... and maybe i should add it... the only drawback i seen was that it really kills your battery quickly as i have to collect your gps frequently to update your location. but will consider it in future releases. thanks for the help... its great to get feedback... are you a developer by chance?

Thanks,
Ross

Upvote 0
it really kills your battery quickly as i have to collect your gps frequently to update your location.

With a satnav/traffic information system the battery is not a consideration because the phone is on the charger anyway.

are you a developer by chance?

No, I haven't got time for that. But I'm a user with a touch of common sense (unless I'm stoned of course... :D ).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones