• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get rid of KNOX, KIES and other bloatware

A

Android Question

I made the mistake of "upgrading" my Galaxy Note 2-- ware-- so two questions

a) How do I rollback to the earlier version of Jelly Bean?

b)) Samsung's complete lack of customer service idiot says that the only way to remove the bloatware is to root the device

1) He also stated this would void the warranty-- true or false? If so, should I care?
2) How do I go about this, and remove all the unwanted spyware/bloatware they installed without mu permission?

This has taken what I regarded as a pretty good phone and turned it into a paperweight-- any time I turn it on and connect, the damned phone EATS minutes like crazy now-- and all of the activity is sending my data to Knox/Kies. I handle confidentiall data-- can't have this.

Phone is a Galaxy Note 2 Model GTN7100 carrier is ATT pay as you go. Phone was purchased as unlocked factory-- was expensive as hell too. Absolutely no value now because of the installed crapware.

There's no such thing. If you're at a version prior to 4.3 you can flash an earlier ROM. If you're at 4.3 or later, you're stuck with it. You can't "roll back" because the earlier version is no longer there to roll back to.

b)) Samsung's complete lack of customer service idiot says that the only way to remove the bloatware is to root the device

1) He also stated this would void the warranty-- true or false?
True on both counts - you have to and it voids the warranty.

If so, should I care?
If something goes wrong with the phone, you have no warranty, so I'd guess you should.

2) How do I go about this, and remove all the unwanted spyware/bloatware they installed without mu permission?
It was installed with your permission - you bought the phone knowing (or you should have known) that it was there. How do you get rid of it? Root the phone - and void the warranty.

This has taken what I regarded as a pretty good phone and turned it into a paperweight-- any time I turn it on and connect, the damned phone EATS minutes like crazy now
Turn Data off. You don't need data to make phone calls.

-- and all of the activity is sending my data to Knox/Kies.
Knox doesn't run unless you download it. The hooks are there to use - IF you run it. (Which you aren't, since it's not available yet.)

Kies is a program that runs on your computer. Don't run it.

I handle confidentiall data-- can't have this.
Knox is designed for exactly that - keeping your confidential data separate from your non-confidential data.

Phone is a Galaxy Note 2 Model GTN7100 carrier is ATT pay as you go. Phone was purchased as unlocked factory-- was expensive as hell too.
Ehy pay for an unlocked phone when you're going to use it on the carrier it's locked to?

Absolutely no value now because of the installed crapware.
Unless you need - not want, need - an awful lot of apps to run your phone, the bloatware doesn't do anything. It just sits there taking up storage space.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

Short answer: You can't

1) He also stated this would void the warranty-- true or false? If so, should I care?
I find this surprising, as their CS reps are well trained in what to say. The part about voiding warranty is not surprising though, as they happily repeat this line of BS at every opportunity. In the U.S. at least, we are protected under the terms of the Magnuson

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones