• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Get rid of "Press the menu key and tap edit to move application position", also launcher commentary

Hi guys.

Ok.. so being new to Android (came over from BB) I have a question. I just rooted and flashed CWM to allow for a full backup on Sunday. So I know what is going on so to speak, but I still have a few things about 'Droid that I have not figured out yet.

For one, Touchwiz. From this thread I am assuming that Touchwiz is the Apps screens or "grid" after the home screen?

Also, from this conversation it seems you guys are referring to this as a "launcher"? Makes sense.. I mean it is launching the apps after all right? But I assumed that this was part of the overall "theme" of "layout" of this particular OS. I had no idea that this could be customized.

So.. if I am understanding you guys correctly, I could download an app like the ones you guys were talking about (ADW and LauncherPro) to replace this functionality in my phone?

Now let's say that I did that. Once I install the "launcher", will it automatically take over for the stock launcher or "touchwiz"? Or will I have to do something or delete "touchwiz" all together so that I do not have multiple launchers trying to work at once?

As always... thanks for the help!!! Hopefully I can soon repay the favor!

ssjTiamat
DiverseBydesign

Upvote 0
you dont have to delete touchwiz (i still have it installed)

once you install the alternat (preferred) launcher simply touch the home button, it will ask which launcher you want to use, (touchwiz or the new one) choose what you want, if you dont want to see that again next time you touch the home button check the use as default, or always use this checkbox before making your selection

Upvote 0
I read this article. It reviews the main launchers and that's what helped me decide.
Android launcher showdown: LauncherPro, ADW, Zeam, GO Launcher and QuickDesk

And here's an important note if you decide to go with Go Launcher EX. With the stock launcher, you press the "contacts" icon from the home screen and it takes you to the contacts, where the contacts menu is at the top. Using Go Launcher EX, you hit the contacts icon from the home screen and it takes you to the screen but without this menu. If you hit "back", the menu appears. I almost uninstalled this software because I couldn't figure out how to get to my groups!

The documentation is almost nonexistent on this software but there is a guide here: http://androidforums.com/android-themes/310274-go-launcher-ex-guide.html

Upvote 0
You have several good answers here, but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents too.

For one, Touchwiz. From this thread I am assuming that Touchwiz is the Apps screens or "grid" after the home screen?

The home screen is the launcher. The grid with the apps in it is the apps drawer, unless I misunderstand you.

Also, from this conversation it seems you guys are referring to this as a "launcher"? Makes sense.. I mean it is launching the apps after all right? But I assumed that this was part of the overall "theme" of "layout" of this particular OS. I had no idea that this could be customized.

The launcher is your home screen, so it can show much more than various apps you can launch. There are hundreds of different widgets you can put on it, and most launchers can have multiple screens to scroll through, so you can put full screen widgets on different screens. Lots of the widgets are scrollable, so you could put maybe a twitter widget (there are a ton of sources for different twitter widgets) and scroll up and down or side to side through the tweets. My favorite widget apps at the moment are Android Pro Widgets, Beautiful Widgets, Elixir 2, and Fancy Widgets. Plus, lots of apps have their own widgets that perform different functions. For instance, 1Tap Cleaner has a widget that will clear your app caches when you tap it, Beautiful Widgets will show the current time, weather, forecast, and battery level in it's widget. They all do different things. Just know that they use up resources. When you have a choice between a widget and a shortcut that will perform the same action, pick the shortcut.

So.. if I am understanding you guys correctly, I could download an app like the ones you guys were talking about (ADW and LauncherPro) to replace this functionality in my phone?

Now let's say that I did that. Once I install the "launcher", will it automatically take over for the stock launcher or "touchwiz"? Or will I have to do something or delete "touchwiz" all together so that I do not have multiple launchers trying to work at once?

You can download any one you wish. I actually maintain a list of them in The Big List of Home Launchers. Most are similar to your stock launcher (TwLauncher). The big plus in using a launcher that looks similar to stock is that particular launcher's options and widgets. The main launchers you hear people use most are ADW.Launcher, LauncherPro, and GO Launcher EX. They're mostly like stock, but have tons of inherent options and downloadable themes. Some of the free ones that are really different are Claystone Launcher, Hi Launcher, NetFront Life Screen, and Rocket Launcher. Read through the market descriptions, look at the screen shots, and try as many as you wish. You don't have to uninstall anything to try another. In fact, I usually have 3 or 4 on my phone at any given time, and pick the launcher I wish to use with Home Chooser Flow. But I'm a big fan of trying out new stuff all the time.
BTW, my personal all-time favorite is SPB Shell 3D, but I only run it when I want to show off a phone. It's very heavy on resources and is a major battery drain, but the wide view which rotates is freaking awesome.

Reactions: Diversebydesign
Upvote 0
Thanks! Great info here. I'm going to make mental notes.

Actually, I just thought of a couple more questions for you if you don't mind. This is in reference to running apps.

I know there are a myriad of task managers out there as well as the launchers that have built-in task manager functions, but as far as Android terminology goes I just want to confirm a couple things.

When an app is "force closed" for all intents and purposes that app will NOT load into memory again unless you start it or something else does right? It cannot just arbitrarily open itself like an app could if it was just closed normally. Is that correct?

And what exactly does "locking" an app accomplish? I can assume what it means, but I would like to hear the actual function from someone who knows.

As I have now had my droid for almost a month now after coming from BB I am starting to finally "get" most of it. My computer knowledge has helped, without that I would never have been able to root, flash ROMS/kernels, etc... but I owe a LOT of what I have learned over this last month to you guys, specifically you, dwitherell, KC and a couple others. So THANKS!

Upvote 0
When an app is "force closed" for all intents and purposes that app will NOT load into memory again unless you start it or something else does right? It cannot just arbitrarily open itself like an app could if it was just closed normally. Is that correct?

Not correct. Many apps can restart in memory again. If you look at a list of your currently running apps, and force close all but the system apps, you'll see a lot of them start up again. Usually they're monitoring something, like the weather apps will stay running to auto update info, mail apps will start up on their own to periodically check for new email, etc. Some, though, will run for arbitrary reasons simply because the programmer thought their app will run better. These are the apps I'll freeze until I need them, or will simply uninstall them as a matter of principle.

And what exactly does "locking" an app accomplish? I can assume what it means, but I would like to hear the actual function from someone who knows.

Locking apps will keep others from using them without the correct passcode. That's pretty much it. It can still run in memory and whatnot on its own.
But if you meant locking like completely shutting it down and not allowing it to run whatsoever, that's called "freezing." You can do this with a variety of app managers. It's a great way to take your bloatware completely out of the picture without losing the ability to restore them. When you're informed that an Android update is available (OTA update) you have to unfreeze them. Android needs all the stock bloatware to be present to perform a successful update.

Upvote 0
Great launcher discussion here. I just wanted to add my two cents and PSA. If you are going to use a custom launcher, you should remove your widgets from any launchers you no longer plan on using. If you leave them on, they will still launch and consume resources and data. This is particularly true of the factory launcher (touchwiz in this case) as it will launch at boot as the OS thinks you need this in order to use your phone.

I hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones