• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get the max out of Desire on holiday trip

tomvdp

May 19, 2010
I will be on a holiday trip (the Norwegian fjords). I will be doing things there of which I think the Desire can be useful:
- drive from one hotel to the next
- walks in nature
- keep my parents up-to-date about my current location
- collect GPS data about the walks / routes for memory & review when back home

Mobile Data will be off as this is incredibly expensive abroad. Most hotels I stay offer wifi though.

So which applications should I use ?
Navigation: Google Navigation probably needs a mobile data connection ? Is there other software that can possibly pre-load the Norwegian road maps ?
Walks: idem dito, any application that has pre-loaded maps of known walks in west Norway ?
Keeping parents up-to-date: use Latitude, part of Google Maps ? But does it work with mobile data off and does it sync when on wifi at night ?
Collect tracks: no idea! I could use the Footprints application, taking pictures here and there, but not sure how to put them on a map in the correct order to reconstruct a journey.

Any things you use the Desire for on a holiday trip that is not listed here ? Please add!

Thank you for your input!

For the maps I have installed RMaps, and created maps for it using google maps. It is not doing navigation (no search, no route mapping), but at least I have portable, detailed maps with me. Oh, and it can record tracks and export them!

But I will look into Maverick and see how it compares.

RMaps: RMaps - Android app on AppBrain
Creating maps for it: Google ??????????
and

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones