1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

getting a new phone on Verizon - get Thunderbolt or wait for Droid Charge?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mystery666, Mar 30, 2011.

1. mystery666

mystery666 Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    So, i'm eligible for an upgrade on Verizon and i'm switching from blackberry to android. I believed the rumors that Verizon wasn't offering LTE phones with unlimited data so i'd had my heart set on getting a Droid X, but the rumors proved false, so I was going to get a Thunderbolt until i heard about the Charge.

They seem to be email spec for spec, but the SuperAMOLED screen seems to be the winning factor. The pictures of the charge, make it look pretty ugly and I'll need to put my hands on it to see how thick it is. The droid x made up for being huge by being really thin.

Any opinions on all of this? (leaving VZW isn't an option, i actually prefer having a signal!)

Advertisement

2. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)
    None

I'm more of an HTC fan than Samsung, so I'd go with the T-Bolt if I were you.

3. _Epic

_Epic Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Male
    Sprint Service Technician
    Lakeland, FL
    I would wait and see what new phones come out this summer, cause I can guarantee they will only get better and better.

4. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    The longer you wait, the more devices will come out. If you wait a few months, then there will be an even better phone slated to come out after that.

5. mystery666

mystery666 Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    I've never had an HTC or Samsung, so i have no favorite yet. I think i'd prefer the HTC, especially since the Samsung looks like crap, but i don't see the point in waiting until summer, because this summer we'll all be saying wait for the phones that come out at christmas. The grass will always be greener.

6. ashykat

ashykat Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I'm not a samsung fan. They don't seem to like to update their devices as AFAIK the Fascinate is still on Android 2.1. I realize you can always root and rom but I still prefer to go with a handset maker that wants to support their devices. HTC has a better reputation for that. Plus I've seen the SLCD screen on the Thunderbolt, it's pretty sexy, plus you don't have that horrible pentile matrix scheme that AMOLED screens do.

7. CaliforniaMan

CaliforniaMan Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    NEITHIER! VZW has been releasing the crappy android phones they can find on their LTE network! GEEZ both phone should be thrown in the trash!

8. Tslide91

Tslide91 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Northeast u.s.
    Ok, lets see you build a better phone.

Just wondering, what makes either phone crap?

9. mystery666

mystery666 Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Californiaman I'm also curious what makes Verizon's Androids worse than others? I know that verizon crippled phones in the pasts is that the case now?

Also ashycat thanks for the Pentile Matrix drop. I googled it and found some very informative discussions. It seems that the SuperAMOLED is awesome for video/photos/graphics and not so awesome for displaying text. I can't wait to see these phones side by side because my phone is more for information than entertainment. If this is the case than Thunderbolt is.

10. SPD

SPD Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    HTC Thunderbolt without a doubt.

11. LaFlavor

LaFlavor Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    Yeah, I would avoid Samsung like the plague until they prove they can keep up with the other companies in terms of software updates.

12. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Avoid Samdung. They have a history of
    (1) Not updating their phones, and IF they finally do update they are waaaaaaaaay behind everyone else,
    (2) Needing several bug fixes after their phones are released, but they are slow to put them out (all phones need bug fixes after release, but not all companies make buyers wait so long before the first run of fixes), and
    (3) Poorly functioning GPS. I don't know why, but they have the most unreliable GPS features of that I know of.

Don't do it. Get something other than a Sammy, unless you are a masochist.

13. Tslide91

Tslide91 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Northeast u.s.
    Htc is the only smartphone manufacturer that I "trust". LG doesnt seem too bad but I havent really had much experience with them

14. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Agreed.
    However, if HTC goes with the rumored encrypted bootloader on their future phones, I may have to jump ship and test the LG waters. :thinking:

15. rondo777

rondo777 Member
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Mystery666 is right. if you wait till the next best thing then you'll end up frustrated and empty handed. These phones are just coming out in waves and there is always gonna be somthing nicer then what you just bought either coming out or rumored to be coming within the next few months. Really, ANDRIOD is what makes these phones great. All the rest is just bells and whistles. Pick a phone that has the hardware features you want and youll be happy and satisfied for a while no matter what comes out afterwords. I had trhe Moto Driod 1, I hated the slide out keyboard but got the phone anyway. The phone was awsome and over the past 18 months nothing lured me away from it. Up till ANDRIOD i was into new hardware every 6 months, (next coolest thing). As much as loved the Driod i wanted a front cam and 4g. Now Im into a TBolt. LOVE IT, Im not concerned that The bioinic is coming or the Samsung. Just get smthing today and start enjoying it. :)

16. taxiron1

taxiron1 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    I am a new iphone refugee, and went to a T bolt. Awesome phone. I am drunk in the world of flash.

17. sylvainr

sylvainr Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    i've just recently got a Android phone, 've been a BB user for 2 years, but when i choose my device, i read alot of bad thing as well for the Samsung on GPS, Software, bug,

so i decided to go with HTC, i've consided a Google (Nexus) but with the lack of SD card, it was a no no