1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Getting a Terminal on Android device

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Stephen510, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Stephen510

Stephen510 Lurker

Hello,
    I know that android is a version of Linux, which means it should have a terminal. Im wondering if it's possible to access that terminal on an android device. If that is not possible is there a ROM that would allow me to? The main purpose of the terminal access is I plan to run python scripts.

Any advice helps.
    -Thanks

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by mikedt, Dec 25, 2019 (2 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Termux, install it from F-Droid.
    https://f-droid.org/app/com.termux

Apparently that can run Python stuff, and other Linux type things. Should run on any Android device, no root or custom ROM required.

4. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

+1 for Termux! :D It's not only an excellent terminal emulator, but an entire Linux environment.

You're able to run some standard *nix commands out of the box, but what sets it apart from other terminals is that you can install things, using apt. Visit its wiki for lots of info.

If you're going to use a terminal (or not!), I highly recommend Hacker's Keyboard. It does a great job of replicating a real keyboard, like on a computer, and is very customizable.

Here's a shot of both apps:

Screenshot_20191226-164111.png

Just wondering why you recommend that, Mike? I installed mine from Play; Termux itself provides links to both Play and F-Droid. :thinking:

ocnbrze, MrJavi and mikedt like this.
  5. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Well... Why the sudden intrest in it?

I am just wondering why would you need a hacker keyboard, know anyone need to be hacked :p

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

In what? :thinking:
    First, get the common, but incorrect, idea of 'hacker' out of your head. :eek: This article may help, as it explains what the word actually means--and it's not malicious.
    Being able to do that and actually doing it are very different things. As are hacking for recreational purposes, and cracking with devious intent.

As for the keyboard, my interest in it is far from new--I've used it forever [in Android time]. And although its name leads to misinterpretation, it's really just an excellent, full keyboard, intended for heavy users of computer keyboards who want their same functionality on Android.

ocnbrze and Milo Willamson like this.
  7. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Thanks for the feedback :)

ocnbrze likes this.