• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Getting an AI assistant to play my local stored music?

theguy1991

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
This is such a basic function but I can’t figure it out on Android. First off I’m coming over from iPhone. I just got a Samsung S20+ but this question applies to all android phones I think. I do not like streaming music services. I have a large music library stored locally. With iPhone I would just tell Siri “Play Pearl Jam” and it opens the regular iOS music app and plays my local music files. I use this mostly while driving.

On my Galaxy S20+, when I say “play Pearl Jam” to Bixby it tries to open Spotify. I believe Bixby always defaults to Spotify. So I’ve tried Google Assistant, “play Pearl Jam” and it opens YouTube music. So I’ve gone into the google assistant settings to change the default music service to the Samsung music player, but that isn’t an option. The only options are YouTube music, pandora, other streaming services, etc. Is there no way I can select a third party local stored music player (like Samsung music player) for Google Assistant to default to when I say “Play Pearl Jam”? Now I was able to get it to work by saying “play (song) with Samsung music player” and then having to click to open the player, but that just seems like extra steps that shouldn’t exist.

try saying "play Pearl Jam in my library" in Google Assistant
I tried this but it still just opens Youtube. I have "Youtube music" disabled also in the default music player settings for Google Assistant. It may go to it though as there is no other alternative to choose. It works if I specify the specific app though. Like "Play Pearl Jam in poweramp" works fine. I think it's something I'll just have to deal with. Saying more than what should be needed.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, of course, Google will open up one of its own as default (Google owns Youtube).

And just as unfortunate is the fact that Bixby generally just plain sucks.

I gave up on voice commands years ago, it must have been after the umpteenth time of resetting it to recognize my voice.

I just use BlackPlayer, and have it set to shuffle.

No voice command control, but much less annoyance.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones