1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Getting an error messege when trying to root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redraider25, Jun 22, 2010.

1. redraider25

redraider25 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Let me start by saying I am new to this so there is probably a really easy fix...here it goes

I am trying to root my Hero by following the guides that are provided in this forum. When I enter the following command I am getting an error.

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices
    'adb' is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I am sure I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions would be helpful. I did download the .6 update and reverted back to the .5 version.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Florida
    Do you have the sd card UNmounted and the debugging ON?

From step 5," ...unmount the sdcard then enable your USB debugging.

3. redraider25

Jun 13, 2010
    Ya...the card is unmounted and debugging is ON...

4. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    did you download and unzip the sdk? if so.. did you put it in the root of your C drive and is the folder its in called android-sdk-windows... if so.. is there a folder inside that folder called tools that has the adb.exe program?

5. redraider25

Jun 13, 2010
    There is file called adb not adb.exe

6. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    What OS are you running? Are you showing file extensions of file types?

7. redraider25

Jun 13, 2010
    Finally got my phone rooted late last night, I was making a rookie, stupid mistake. It just took me a few tries to figure it out. Thanks for the help. Now I need to start figuring out what I like and dont like....I am starting to like this phone a lot more now.

8. redraider25

Jun 13, 2010
    Got another question if anyone see this. I made a nandroid backup of my phone before changing ROMs. My questions is can I make multiple backups? I am trying some different ROMs but I am worried that if I do another backup it will erase my backup of the stock phone. Let me know if I am crazy and how this works. Thanks

9. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Florida

Each backup is created with a different file name, so nandroid away. Just be aware that they start to take up space. I generaly keep only 1 or 2 on the SD card, and move others to my laptop for safe keeping. You can rename them to something more meaningful/usable to you, but do not put any spaces in the file name. example: ZenJune221015PM This is a backup of my zen rom made June 22 at 10:15PM

10. redraider25

Jun 13, 2010
    Awesome...Thanks for the advice. I have never been so excited about a phone. I am new to all of this and it is fun trying new things. I am sure this will not be my last question.

Tags: