1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Getting Apps Without Marketplace

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mphillips100, Jun 30, 2011.

1. mphillips100

mphillips100 Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    Here's a bit of a tricky one. So i have a motorola driod (the first one if that matters) through my work. I've been deemed high enough to get a phone but low enough that they have had the marketplace app removed from my phone. There is actually a lock on my phone through the corporate account. Basically the bosses can pick and choose who can and can't have the ability who has access to the marketplace and just tell Verizon who's cool and who's not. :( Hard resets don't work to bring it back since it's through the corporate account.

So with no marketplace app downloading apps is difficult. I have been able to turn on the unknown sources function and get one app straight from that apps site, but every other one has led me to the android market place site. Since i have no marketplace app the market place site believes i have no android phone connected to my Google account.

With that said how can i get apps now. Is it possible for me to download apps else where (download them on my compute and move them myself to the phone's sd card) and / or is there a way to trick the android market place website that i do have a android device associated with my Google account.

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Have you tried the amazon app store?

3. beboyle

beboyle Newbie
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't know about your company, but in mine bypassing this kind of restriction - which is designed to product your company's security - would be grounds for termination. Make sure you understand the rules and the risk before you do this.

4. blazer743lazer

None

Jul 25, 2011
    Hello I have a question is sideloading apps legal?
    Plz reply ASAP thank you...!

5. 6StringDave

6StringDave Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    It's 100% legal. So is rooting your phone, wifi hotspotting on your unlimited data plan without a service upgrade, the same with using Google standard Navigation app instead of Verizon's pricey app for the same, and just about anything else which the developers and service providers prevent you from doing. It's all in the name of corporate greed, and avoidance of warrantee abuse with your cell provider. But if it's your employer who owns the phone, and you defy their regulation of it's use, none of this matters.

6. blazer743lazer

None

Jul 25, 2011
    Thank you so much for all your help I've been looking for this answer for ages..

7. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    There should be some clarification. Sideloading apps is legal, as long as you obtained the APK in a legal manner.

To the OP. I agree with beboyle, make sure you're familiar with the company policy on cell phone usage and responsibilities. Even if sideloading apps is legal on a personal phone, it may be against the company policy, especially if they're restricting access to the Android Market. I'd tread lightly with that..