1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

getting blown away by iPhone4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EvilBunny, Feb 8, 2011.

1. EvilBunny

EvilBunny Newbie

So I just downloaded the speedtest (speedtest.net ooku or whatever) app and I am showing downloads of 200 - 500 kpbs.

My coworker (who I'm always arguing back and forth about droid vs. iPhone) is showing downloads of 2-3Mbps!!!

I'm getting blown away! This sucks and I don't believe it to be right... Also, my upload speeds show to be 2 to 3 times faster than my download speed.

Is this something in my settings? My network up here (I'm in Bangor Maine)??? It shows a full signal with 3G so I don't know what's up.

He has the iPhone 4 which I would assume would be a little faster than my original moto droid, but it shouldn't be beating it this bad... Any ideas???

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. savajio

savajio Newbie

There has to be something wrong. I have been looking at some settings and have not found anything yet. But when I first got my Droid I did speed tests with a few iPhone users at work and I was much faster. 200-500kpbs seems extremely low to me. I would assume with full bars and 3G you should be getting the same 2-3 Mbps. Did you have any other apps maybe running at same time?

3. EvilBunny

EvilBunny Newbie

I closed all running apps through my "settings" and nothing improved.

Do you think I might be getting "throttled" ??

Verizon can now throttle top five percent of bandwidth hogs, downres multimedia transfers -- Engadget#

4. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

I think you need to *228, option 2 :) Nothing (speed wise on your internet connection) should be different, since they are provided by the same company.

5. EvilBunny

EvilBunny Newbie

I did this... No change.

I need to find somebody else with a verizon smart phone and compare so I can see if it's a hardware issue or a network issue.

6. savajio

savajio Newbie

I just did *228 here at work to see if would make a diff. but seems they may have changed something. I used to get 2-3Mbps over 3G and 5Mbps at home on WiFi and now best I can get off speed test is 1.6Mbps will do *228 again once home and try again on 3G and then WiFi see if changes.

7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert

Does it even matter? Try a web page loading test. You are going to find that his web pages do not load 6-10x faster than yours. Unless you're torrenting over your 3G connection, who cares? Plus, Android phones have so many background services that are constantly pulling data that this might be resulting in lower available bandwidth.

8. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast

If you are compairing Verizon 3G and AT&T 3G, both with the same signal strength, AT&T is going to be faster, much faster. It has nothing to do with Iphone.....

NiceGuysFinishLast likes this.
  9. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

Don't worry about it. Who cares if one device on a network is slower than another device on another network? Change locations and that can easily change.

10. shadowdude777

I was assuming it was a Verizon iPhone 4. But of course, AT&T is faster than Verizon (provided you have coverage, which you frequently don't). Again, like I said, past a certain point, the bottleneck doesn't lie in your connection's speed, but rather how quickly the server is going to provide you with the data. And at 200-500kbps, I think the bottleneck is at the server, personally.

11. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

are we talking verizon iphone or att iphone here? I just got my Verizon iPhone yesterday and already I've noticed it blows away my droid as far as data and phone speed go.

12. shadowdude777

:thinking:

13. EvilBunny

EvilBunny Newbie

I was talking about the att iphone in my OP.

fwiw, we both loaded a website, starting at the exact same time and my moto droid beat his iPhone4 loading the page. Not by much, but it still beat him.

so even though this speed test is showing his phone to be consistently 2-3x faster, I was able to load a web page faster. Go figure...

Why is this? Any ideas?

Granted this was one test with one particular web page at one instant in time, but it happened... I'm sure he'll want a "rematch" so who knows if it was a fluke or not.

14. milrtime83

milrtime83 Android Enthusiast

Yep, ATT is faster assuming you are in a good coverage area. 200-500 Kbps sounds a bit low though. At home where I have a consistent full 5 bars all the time I get 1.5-2Mbps on my Droid.

15. gallandof

gallandof Android Expert

the reason a droid connects faster to the web is because AT&T has really slow ping times so it takes almost half a second to connect and start loading, where as verizon connects a lot quicker.

on the same network the droid is a little faster than the iphone going to the same site.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews