• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root getting confused, need help

103396nick

Apr 24, 2012
so i have an htc wildfire s (a510c with android 2.3.4) and i want to root but im kind of a noob at this so i need something easy. i want to check my understanding. first of all, htc will help unlock bootloader from site? and after this i can us a rooting app (gingerbreak, androot) to gain superuser right?

If so, can someone recommend an app that works well? and a favorite rom? something availible in ROM manager preferablly

To root the Wildfire S you need either S-OFF or an unlocked bootloader, not both. Because you have an A510c, you can take either approach. To try getting S-OFF, use this guide:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s...-roms-team-marvelusc-everything-you-need.html

For the unlock bootloader method, use this guide instead:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s-finally.html

Both help root, install custom recoveries and install custom ROMs. If I were rooting your phone, I'd get S-OFF using the first guide and follow steps 4 and 5 of the second guide.

Reactions: 103396nick and sisu
Upvote 0
Follow CafeKampuchia's suggestion, and you should do just fine. Since you have 2.3.4 I say you would be better off doing the s-off route instead of the htcdev route.

Another option you could try is Simons wildfire utility:

[UTILITY] Simon's Wildfires Utility v2 - xda-developers

I did s-off and root on my WFS a while back, went back to stock, did the OTA 2.3.5 update, which locked my phone. I used simons utility to unlock, but for some reason I wasn't able to root.

After unlocking, I flashed the clockworkmod rom recovery bootloader v5.0.2.6 for HTC Wildfire S (Marvel) (the newer version 5.0.2.8 didn't work well on my phone)
[RECOVERY - UPDATE] Unofficial ClockworkMod Recovery v.5.0.2.6 - xda-developers

I am currently using Blueridge sense 2.1 rom, and it works fine. there are others too you may want to try
[ROM] [ODEX&DEODEX] BlueRidge Sense 2.1 (4-29-12) - xda-developers.

I didn't have to worry about rooting since the rom comes with root

Reactions: 103396nick
Upvote 0
which rom version should i have if i unlocked bootloader?

Im no expert to give a good answer, but having the same phones, I would say you would do fine with the one I am using, the odexed sense 2.1
Goo.im Downloads - Downloading sense2.1-odex.zip

Once you have the ROM recovery bootloader installed, its easy to try different roms, by re-flashing them. I have a backup of my contacts and other stuff, so I don't lose any important data.

here are some other roms: [INDEX] [CDMA RUU's] Team BlueRidge - xda-developers

on edit: make sure any rom you use is for your specific phone. I am just assuming yours is the same (Virgin Mobile USA Wildfire S). Wrong rom can cause some bad headaches :)

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0
which rom version should i have if i unlocked bootloader?
ROM version is unimportant. What is important is that the ROM you choose is for your device (MarvelC). Here is what I know is available for MarvelC:

[ROM] [ODEX&DEODEX] BlueRidge Sense 2.1 (4-29-12) - xda-developers
(Thanks Sisu)

[WFSDEV][AROMA] .sense, a customizable, universal Sense 3.5 ROM [3.0 BETA]

Team MarvelUSc Sense 2.1

The Sense 2.1 ROMs will be what you are familiar with, rooted and bloatware removed. The Sense 3.5 ROM has a refreshed look and lots of customization options, also no bloat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones