1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root getting confused, need help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 103396nick, May 1, 2012.

1. 103396nick

103396nick Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    so i have an htc wildfire s (a510c with android 2.3.4) and i want to root but im kind of a noob at this so i need something easy. i want to check my understanding. first of all, htc will help unlock bootloader from site? and after this i can us a rooting app (gingerbreak, androot) to gain superuser right?

If so, can someone recommend an app that works well? and a favorite rom? something availible in ROM manager preferablly

Advertisement

2. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Male
    Pursat, Cambodia
    To root the Wildfire S you need either S-OFF or an unlocked bootloader, not both. Because you have an A510c, you can take either approach. To try getting S-OFF, use this guide:
    http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s...-roms-team-marvelusc-everything-you-need.html

For the unlock bootloader method, use this guide instead:
    http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s-finally.html

Both help root, install custom recoveries and install custom ROMs. If I were rooting your phone, I'd get S-OFF using the first guide and follow steps 4 and 5 of the second guide.

103396nick and sisu like this.
  3. sisu

sisu Well-Known Member
    None

Follow CafeKampuchia's suggestion, and you should do just fine. Since you have 2.3.4 I say you would be better off doing the s-off route instead of the htcdev route.

Another option you could try is Simons wildfire utility:

[UTILITY] Simon's Wildfires Utility v2 - xda-developers

I did s-off and root on my WFS a while back, went back to stock, did the OTA 2.3.5 update, which locked my phone. I used simons utility to unlock, but for some reason I wasn't able to root.

After unlocking, I flashed the clockworkmod rom recovery bootloader v5.0.2.6 for HTC Wildfire S (Marvel) (the newer version 5.0.2.8 didn't work well on my phone)
    [RECOVERY - UPDATE] Unofficial ClockworkMod Recovery v.5.0.2.6 - xda-developers

I am currently using Blueridge sense 2.1 rom, and it works fine. there are others too you may want to try
    [ROM] [ODEX&DEODEX] BlueRidge Sense 2.1 (4-29-12) - xda-developers.

I didn't have to worry about rooting since the rom comes with root

103396nick likes this.
  4. 103396nick

103396nick Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    which rom version should i have if i unlocked bootloader?

5. sisu

sisu Well-Known Member
    None

Im no expert to give a good answer, but having the same phones, I would say you would do fine with the one I am using, the odexed sense 2.1
    Goo.im Downloads - Downloading sense2.1-odex.zip

Once you have the ROM recovery bootloader installed, its easy to try different roms, by re-flashing them. I have a backup of my contacts and other stuff, so I don't lose any important data.

here are some other roms: [INDEX] [CDMA RUU's] Team BlueRidge - xda-developers

on edit: make sure any rom you use is for your specific phone. I am just assuming yours is the same (Virgin Mobile USA Wildfire S). Wrong rom can cause some bad headaches :)

CafeKampuchia likes this.
  6. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Male
    Pursat, Cambodia
    ROM version is unimportant. What is important is that the ROM you choose is for your device (MarvelC). Here is what I know is available for MarvelC:

[ROM] [ODEX&DEODEX] BlueRidge Sense 2.1 (4-29-12) - xda-developers
    (Thanks Sisu)

[WFSDEV][AROMA] .sense, a customizable, universal Sense 3.5 ROM [3.0 BETA]

Team MarvelUSc Sense 2.1

The Sense 2.1 ROMs will be what you are familiar with, rooted and bloatware removed. The Sense 3.5 ROM has a refreshed look and lots of customization options, also no bloat.