1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Getting frustrated....new to Inc, trouble flashing ROM.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gink, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Bronco Nation
    Last night I exchanged my Fascinate for the Incredible due to some really poor call quality issues. Well, I am not a huge fan of Sense - mainly due to the swipe down action of answering calls and unlocking the phone...but I digress...

So I decided to root. I've rooted several phones before (Eris, Ally, Fascinate) so I'm not a total noob but I do need some help. I flashed the DInc last night using the unrevoked one touch method. Then I installed ROM Manager - paid version. ROM manager thought I still had the Ally so I went ahead and flashed the CWM recovery image included with ROM Manager and I think that caused a problem. Things just weren't working right so I searched the forum and found an image that I had to rename, put on the root of the SD card and then flash. After doing that I was then able to flash the Skyraider ROM that I downloaded in ROM Manager.

What I'm really looking for is a ROM with a Vanilla dialer so I tried flashing Cyanogen's 6.0.2 from ROM Manager. It downloaded but hangs at the HTC Incredible screen on bootup. Thought there may be an issue with the flash so I downloaded and installed it manually and it still hung at the boot up screen. I thought it was a problem with the cyanogen ROM so I gave up... but I just tried another and am having the same problem. I flashed the MIUI ROM manually and it booted up the same screen and hung there as well.

What am I doing wrong?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement

2. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    Did you wipe all data before flashing a new ROM? That can be causing you issues, Did you create a nandroid backup before flashing ROM's? You can revert back to one and then wipe data and reflash.

3. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Bronco Nation
    Yep, I wiped both times. Actually, it's been about 5 times total with the different things I've tried. I'll give it another shot now just in case. Gots me a nandroid too.

Any other ideas?

4. najaboy

najaboy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    You're not doing anything wrong. Odds are, since you just got your Inc, that you received one with a SLCD. It seems that some of the AOSP ROMs such as CM6 install with kernels that don't support your hardware.
    Go to Menu > Settings > About Phone > Hardware Version. If yours is 003, you have a SLCD.

Gink likes this.
  5. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Bronco Nation
    Seriously......? Wow, that totally sucks.

6. najaboy

May 3, 2010
    Gink likes this.
  7. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Bronco Nation
  8. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Bronco Nation
    Yep, I've got 003 an slcd screen. I am flashing a kernal I found on another site. Will update in a few...

9. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Bronco Nation
    I flashed a kernal I found on another site and I was able to install one of the ROMs in question. Thanks!!

10. crazyg0od33

crazyg0od33 Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    i would install kings bfs #5. Its amazing..also get setcpu and then set up a screen off profile to save battery

11. najaboy

May 3, 2010
    Problem is that BFS#5 is written for Sense based ROMS. What the OP needs is AOSP.

12. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Bronco Nation
    The one I flashed is a CWM test file, or so it's named. Seems to work beautifully so far!