• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Getting frustrated...

coldfuzion

Dec 18, 2010
Hey everyone,

So I've had my phone rooted and running mikfroyo for a while now, but i'm still kind of having some issues and I don't really know what to do.

The first problem is bluetooth. Sometimes it works, sometimes it works for a few seconds and then cuts out (this is while playing music through my alpine bluetooth receiver in my car, I don't really use it for anything else besides occasional file transfers between phone and computer) when the sound cuts out, the phone shows that its still playing music even though no sound comes out , and then sometimes this even continues to happen when i turn bluetooth off on the phone.

I don't know what's causing this. Seems like when its been happening, if i reflash my rom, or flash a different rom it fixes it, for a while, and then it'll just start acting up again. Sometimes it'll work fine for a week, sometimes a day.

I spent 150 bucks on this bluetooth receiver (which i'm less likely to think is the problem, mostly because I just don't want to have to return it, lol) and its really annoying when it just stops working and I have to use an aux cable to plug my phone in to listen to music.

music. there's another problem.

I'm subscribed to MOG, a subscription music service, and the connectivity and song downloading are, at times, un-usable. I know there was something recently that happend which caused most streaming music apps to stop working on these phones , but I went in and changed some settings which supposedly fixes that problem, although i still seem to have issues, maybe just not as often.

Part of me just wants to unroot my phone in hopes that these problems will go away...

I've flashed different radios and stuff, but honestly I don't fully understand them so i've been wondering the whole time if that screwed something up too (although as far as I can tell, 4g, 3g, wifi, gps, etc. all still work, bluetooth is the biggest problem by far.)

All I want is a phone that works, looks good (custom UI's not even necessary, launcher pro is good enough) and isn't constantly bugging the crap out of me. This is supposed to be one of the best phones out there and I'm constantly embarassing myself in front of people who think its a piece :mad:

Hey everyone,

So I've had my phone rooted and running mikfroyo for a while now, but i'm still kind of having some issues and I don't really know what to do.

The first problem is bluetooth. Sometimes it works, sometimes it works for a few seconds and then cuts out (this is while playing music through my alpine bluetooth receiver in my car, I don't really use it for anything else besides occasional file transfers between phone and computer) when the sound cuts out, the phone shows that its still playing music even though no sound comes out , and then sometimes this even continues to happen when i turn bluetooth off on the phone.

I don't know what's causing this. Seems like when its been happening, if i reflash my rom, or flash a different rom it fixes it, for a while, and then it'll just start acting up again. Sometimes it'll work fine for a week, sometimes a day.

I spent 150 bucks on this bluetooth receiver (which i'm less likely to think is the problem, mostly because I just don't want to have to return it, lol) and its really annoying when it just stops working and I have to use an aux cable to plug my phone in to listen to music.

music. there's another problem.

I'm subscribed to MOG, a subscription music service, and the connectivity and song downloading are, at times, un-usable. I know there was something recently that happend which caused most streaming music apps to stop working on these phones , but I went in and changed some settings which supposedly fixes that problem, although i still seem to have issues, maybe just not as often.

Part of me just wants to unroot my phone in hopes that these problems will go away...

I've flashed different radios and stuff, but honestly I don't fully understand them so i've been wondering the whole time if that screwed something up too (although as far as I can tell, 4g, 3g, wifi, gps, etc. all still work, bluetooth is the biggest problem by far.)

All I want is a phone that works, looks good (custom UI's not even necessary, launcher pro is good enough) and isn't constantly bugging the crap out of me. This is supposed to be one of the best phones out there and I'm constantly embarassing myself in front of people who think its a piece :mad:

Meant to ask did you wipe dalvik and cache prior to flashing each ROM?

Have you tried doing a full data wipe and then reflashing the ROM?

Upvote 0
What version of MikFroyo are you using? Any custom kernels? As for the radios are you on the latest ones? There's a combo that you can flash if you want to update your radio, pri etc all at once.

its the latest I believe... (4.4)

lately, the way i've been flashing roms (which i'm not entirely sure is how you're supposed to do it but it works I think..) is to go into rom manager, then choosing "install from from SD card", and then choosing the rom, and checking the box next to "wipe data and cache"

is that all you need to do, or do you have to manually go into recovery mode to clear something else?

I'm thinking i'd like to do a full data wipe, but i'm not 100% sure how to do it now (as I understand, when you do a data wipe it doesn't do anything to the root status of the phone, right?)

A couple questions about mikfroyo...

where can I find the version that includes all of the radios etc.? For all I know I already have it, but I just want to be sure...
Also, when you flash that version does everything update at once, or is it just the separate files in a folder that you still flash separately from each other?

Thanks again everyone for your help. This place has been so helpful

Upvote 0
There are two sep files. Mik froyo and the radios. There is a radio file that has everything as a flashable zip. Both can be found in his thread on xda.

You can actually let us know what versions you have by taking a screen shot of the info at menu.settings.about phone or by listing it out.

There are links for all roms and radios in the root for dummies thread. I would also follow the directions there to wipe data, dalvik and cache from recovery and get a true fresh start and then see if the bluetooth issue continues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones