1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Getting GB to run on your Droid...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ska.t73, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok so I've been seeing a lot of people have problems with getting GB to run on the OG Droid. Hopefully this post can help out as I've been running the CM7 nightlies and have had no problems with the memory issues.

I have found that on the Droid, GB is going to be a very fickel beast. It is very aggresive at freeing up memory, which would explain most of the issues that some are having (it is the reason you have to keep the messaging app in memory to get texts). Now with that said there are various ways that we can help our little Droids run GB.

First and foremost is to find a kernel that will allow Compcache (currently the only one I know of for sure that will do this on GB is the stock CM kernel that was modified by Prime). Once you enable compcache most of the memory issues should go away.

Some other things you can do if your ROM allows it (CM7 allows these things, if your ROM doesn't I would suggest Root Tools by JRummy from the Market):

Set your VM heap size to something large (I currently have it set to 32m which is the highest you can go in CM7).
    Set your Compcache RAM usage to something high as well (again you need a kernel that will support this in GB or the setting wont do anything) I have mine set to 26%.
    Always make sure your home app is set to be locked into memory in both your settings and the settings for your home app (it is also important to lock the messaging app into memory as well if you rom allows it).

I hope this can help some what, I am really enjoying GB and I hope that once we can figure out how to work around the memory restrictions on the OC Droid that everyone can. Now I do know that every Droid is different and there was at least a few people I know of that couldn't get any Froyo ROMs to work on their phone. However I'm hoping that we can at least get some of the kinks worked out GB IMHO is truely a step up for me.

For the modified Prime kernel and more information on the Milestone OC application (which is AWESOME BTW) follow the link below:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cyanogenmod/107143-tut-milestone-oc-application-tut.html

Advertisement

NiceGuysFinishLast likes this.
  2. zach.schenfisch

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've found that the GB ROMs i've tried are always very snappy and fast at first. However after a few days they become so slow that I get frustrated and flash back to Froyo. Would these changes help these phenomena at all?

3. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think they would. I would also look into getting a Cache cleaner (cacheMate is good), and getting into the habit of keeping that clean. I usually clean mine once a day. You can also try deleting your Dalvix Cache every week or so.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Hmmm, 100+ apps installed, no compcache, VM set to default it comes with in CM7....

The difference I have is Swapper 2.

I've had an occasional lag here and there, but I had those with FroYo too. Occasional meaning it was literally half a second every once in a while.

Prime also has a modified MSOC for those using the stock kernel, so if you're *not* going to use compcache, that rebuilt MSOC is the way to go for the stock GB kernel.

ska.t73 likes this.
  5. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmmmm I'm going to have to check out Swapper 2... :)

6. johnlgalt

None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    There are other factors as well - you may only have 5 apps installed, but if each app is also running something as a service (such as having all 5 as widgets on your homescreen) then me with my 100 apps may actually have a lot more free RAM than you do - and in that case you're going to be suffering a lot more than I ma, b/c running apps need the free RAM, not the storage space. it could care less what the storage space is (to a point, of course) - it needs the active RAM to operate.

I've tried to limit the number of apps that automatically start services to an absolute bare minimum, with my main offenders now being twitter, Swype, an the GApps processes, and this seems to work well, as I have my FB and Twitter widgets again, but nothing seems to get killed and there is hardly any lag. if I start to experience some slowdowns, I'll know that something has to go (prolly FB widget, b/c I really really *REALLY* want to keep twitter as up to date as possible).

You'll need to check out what's eating your RAM, and such.

I clean my cache(s) maybe once every 3-4 days, not more often, when things get laggy for longer than 1 second, but I am also updating builds on a near-nightly basis (although I don't wipe data so it's not a fresh install every time). That may factor into it as well, not sure how new ROMs work with the Dalvik cache (meaning if it gets rebuilt on a new ROM or doesn't change until I manually refresh / clean it out).

Another idea may be that I simply don't try to multitask too much - I rarely have more than 3 apps going at the same time.

Another may be that I am performing battery pulls often (as I have dual batteries, so when 1 dies down I swap to a freshly charged one). I have never asked, but I wonder if a battery pull forces the OS to clear data and / or Dalvik cache(s) on boot?

There are so many things different between each of us, not to mention the hardware itself (as I was fond of saying last year, no two DROIDs are ever going to be 100% alike - b/c of usage habits, apps, and even the actual hardware itself in each DROID), so, just like with kernels, it may simply be a matter of pure luck that mine is taknig it so well while others are not.

ska.t73 likes this.
  7. ChiefIlliniwek5

None

Jul 26, 2010
    I was using Bugless Beast's stock GB ROM (version 12) for a few days with an overclocked ROM at 1GHz. For the most part, it ran smoothly with some hiccups, but because I'm overclocking it at 1 GHz all the time just to have smooth operation, the battery drained FAST. I also didn't really see much improvement in most day-to-day features so I'm satisfied with my FROYO until I get a new phone that is made to run GB and last longer without having to overclock.

8. johnlgalt

None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    It's funny that you say that chief.

I ran Eclair OC'd to 100 MHz after rooting b/c I could nto get 1200 to run. later I got Eclair to work with a 1200 MHz OC, and ran it until FroYo came out.

Then on FroYo I found 1100 was sufficient, then I dropped down to 1000.

Now, on Gingerbread, I'm running my own customized ultra low voltage 1000 MHz kernel (stock kernel OC'd using Milestone Overclock app, with a super low vsel=60) and it's more than powerful enough.

My battery life without use is well into the 320 hour range, and with constant use I still get 5 hours

ska.t73 likes this.
  9. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I highly (and I mean HIGHLY) recomend the Milestone Overclock app and Prime's stock CM7 kernel. The link for anyone interested is in the OP, I have found the same thing as John. Because the MOA allows you to adjust the vsel as well as the MHz you can find that nice sweet spot that allows your phone to run at the speed you want with the battery life you need.

No more having to try different kernels everytime you want to check for better battery life or faster speeds. No more bootloops from trying to install a kernel that your phone doesn't like. You just flash your ROM, then the Prime Kernel then adjust with the MOA as needed. If you don't check the "set on boot" option you can try out different speeds and vsels until you get your sweet spot. If your phone can't handle a certain setting and you get reboots, no worries you just allow the phone to reboot and try different setting. :D

10. zach.schenfisch

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    There are some great posts in this thread...thanks for the ideas! Looks like i'll be flashing GB again!

11. d-man

d-man Newbie
    None

Dec 23, 2009