1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Getting GPS co-ords on photos

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cats_five, Jan 3, 2014.

1. cats_five

cats_five Newbie
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Scotland, UK
    I took some photos yesterday with the Nexus specifically because having turned GPS on I thought the co-ords would be recorded. They were not.

How do I get it to do this? It's running KitKat and isn't rooted. Don't want to root either.

Advertisement

2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    That's an option found in camera settings usually.

3. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

Jun 4, 2012
    VoIP/Telephony/IT Technician
    Bismarck, ND
    It is in the camera under More Options - Location and is a toggle (A line through the pin icon indicates it is off). It is also important under the main Android Settings menu to go to Location and make sure it is enabled, or else the option in the camera app is irrelevant.

How are you checking this? On the phone you need an app like GPS Photo Viewer or something similar, if you copy it to a PC you need to right-click and check the Properties, the coordinates are not readily available in the picture, they are part of the EXIF data of the picture file. If you view the picture in gallery, you can check the location ROUGHLY by pressing the menu icon and selecting Details or more accurately by selecting Show on Map which will open Google Maps (by default) and pin the location and show the GPS coordinates in the status bar of maps.

4. cats_five

cats_five Newbie
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Scotland, UK
    Thanks, the GPS symbol simply didn't strike me as what it was!

I checked by using an EXIF viewer on my PC but I know about right-click and properties to see the EXIF. I'm not going to repeat the walk just to get those co-ordinates though...

Tags: