• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Getting half 1/2 to 1/3 normal LTE speeds on ATT

mcgrr

Lurker
Jul 16, 2012
Hey all. So I bought the pure off amazon about a week ago when they had the 50 dollars off deal. Its just the 16 gb Pure white model number XT1575 if that helps anything.

After receiving it I went to att to get a nano sim since the s5 I was using was a micro (?) I think. Since then my download speeds are consistently between 5-15 mb/s as opposed to the 30+ I would get normally. All of the speed tests are taken from the same spot in my home. Also using other family members phones in the same spot still show the same 30+ mb/s which was the norm before switching to this device. Tests were done using ookla app. Also on the phone the signal shows "LTE" so I assume that means I am connected correctly and not stuck on 4g.

To me it seems like there is something that is not allowing me to get full speeds. I have heard of others having similar problems and having to use spoof IMEI numbers or something like that, except right now I don't think att has any Motorola phones that I could even ask them to try that with. Is there anything I can do in the settings that would help? Would going to the store and telling them my problem even accomplish anything? Since I purchased a non-carrier phone I get the sinking feeling they are not going to be very helpful if they are even willing to help me at all since I didnt buy my device from them.

Anyone? I really like this phone but Im afraid if nothing can be done I will have to return/sell it.

Hey all. So I bought the pure off amazon about a week ago when they had the 50 dollars off deal. Its just the 16 gb Pure white model number XT1575 if that helps anything.

After receiving it I went to att to get a nano sim since the s5 I was using was a micro (?) I think. Since then my download speeds are consistently between 5-15 mb/s as opposed to the 30+ I would get normally.
Would going to the store and telling them my problem even accomplish anything? Since I purchased a non-carrier phone I get the sinking feeling they are not going to be very helpful if they are even willing to help me at all since I didnt buy my device from them.

Anyone? I really like this phone but Im afraid if nothing can be done I will have to return/sell it.
Your phone has the band support for AT&T:
http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Ensure your APN settings are exactly as they should be:
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KB424489

If the APN is as it should be,can you use another family members SIM Card to see if it is indeed your device?

If the above shows it's the SIM Card,a visit to AT&T is in order to see if they'll try out another SIM Card/help in troubleshooting.

If all the above yield no results,you've done your due diligence & a call to Motorola is in order.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
I checked the sim and apn settings and they all look in order.

So I guess ill be heading to the att store to see if they can figure out if its a sim card problem. Others mentioned trying to put the sim in my old phone to see if the problem continues there. I will need to get a sim tray holder though.

Thanks for the help so far!

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
So I got curious about my moms Nexus 5 which I noticed had similar speed issues but never paid attention to since she never said anything.

Anyways I tried out her speed (which btw both these phones never have full bars they always seems to be 1 bar just below full). Anyways the speedtest on her phone looks exactly like mine. Both devices get half the dl speed as the Note 4 and Galaxy s5 when it was activated. Wtf is this? Both of the phones that are non carrier phones have the exact same issue.

Is this just something all non carrier phones get? Half the download speeds of the ATT branded devices?

Could it be part of a larger problem within our account only? I cant understand how both devices would have the same issue. Seems to me if there was a problem we would be getting terrible speeds. I mean 14 gb/s isnt slow, but its definitely not what I was getting before.

Reactions: Thom and KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones