• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting more memory

I've noticed over time when either installing or updating an application memory seems to randomly decrease like there is some hidden cache. Is there a way to wipe that said cache? Would I have to reboot the phone and upon start up hold the volume up and down and clear data cache? Cause I don't want to have to factory reset just to get that extra memory back. To me its extremely annoying lol and oh yeah, even after a while, while its on idle, my phones internal memory decreases just a little bit just from being idle! I know none of my apps are automatically updating because I manually do that myself.

As you download programs, you should periodically be using
Menu | Settings | Manage Applications and selecting those programs and "Move to SD card". Not all programs automatically move themselves to the SD card.

I prefer using a download from the Market called Free Advanced Task Manager for the purpose of moving programs rather than the Menu | Settings and Manage Applications method, because in one view, I can check multiple programs and move them to the SD card more effectively. I can also clearly see what is installed on the Phone, and what is installed on the SD card easily with this tool. Moving things to the SD card makes it possible to load the phone with more games, apps, tools. :)

When you manage apps in this way, you have another button available "Clear Cache". You can individually select each program and one at a time Clear Cache.

However, a better tool for clearing all the caches at one time IMHO is a download called 1Tap Cleaner.

Last but not least, sometimes, Froyo launches a bit too many programs at the same time and phone behavior may become flakey. I have downloaded Advanced Task Killer Free from the Market. I run this maybe once a day.

A good alternative to manually killing everything is physically shutting down the phone every couple of days, thus doing a reboot.

Everyone tells you that Android and specifically Froyo does a very good job of memory management this is true to some extent, much better than the predecessor OS version called Eclair. My experience with both the Samsung Intercept and the Motorola Triumph is that while it may be better, it's not perfect.

I have had a good experience using these tools periodically to keeping the performance of the MT up to expectations.:)

Upvote 0
Lol I'm not that much of a newbie. I know about doing all that but what I'm trying to point out is that some internal storage memory just randomly slowly decreases after a while. I have an app called Apps2SD that I've been using which shows you what's moveable and what isn't as well add clears the cache. I don't use task killers at all. I manually force close programs. I'm just trying to figure out where some of this internal storage memory is disappearing to.

Upvote 0
Lol I'm not that much of a newbie. I know about doing all that but what I'm trying to point out is that some internal storage memory just randomly slowly decreases after a while. I have an app called Apps2SD that I've been using which shows you what's moveable and what isn't as well add clears the cache. I don't use task killers at all. I manually force close programs. I'm just trying to figure out where some of this internal storage memory is disappearing to.

I think you really have to look at your memory from the beginning of the day to the end of the day. Also figure out some before reboot and after reboot numbers. It's easy to assume that apps that are running might throw some data on the internal storage even if they are not updating or anything. The update/install decrease might be due to the downloaded apk being stored in cache somewhere and will be deleted over time. I know with Amazon App store I can start an app update and close the app and a day later reopen the app store and get a message to install the app I downloaded yesterday. It had to store that apk the whole time so I'm sure that took up memory. I think market will delete it eventually. Also last thing that might be a problem is that Android might be giving an inaccurate reading on how much internal space you really have left. I wouldn't count out that it's wrong sometimes. Also if you have 100.00mb of space left just 1kbit of data can throw that down to 99.999mb's of data. The internal storage space will probably read it as 99mb's.

Upvote 0
I think you really have to look at your memory from the beginning of the day to the end of the day. Also figure out some before reboot and after reboot numbers. It's easy to assume that apps that are running might throw some data on the internal storage even if they are not updating or anything. The update/install decrease might be due to the downloaded apk being stored in cache somewhere and will be deleted over time. I know with Amazon App store I can start an app update and close the app and a day later reopen the app store and get a message to install the app I downloaded yesterday. It had to store that apk the whole time so I'm sure that took up memory. I think market will delete it eventually. Also last thing that might be a problem is that Android might be giving an inaccurate reading on how much internal space you really have left. I wouldn't count out that it's wrong sometimes. Also if you have 100.00mb of space left just 1kbit of data can throw that down to 99.999mb's of data. The internal storage space will probably read it as 99mb's.

Boom you hit it dead on! Thanks for the heads up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones