• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting my first Android phone. App suggestions?

Kavanova

Lurker
Jul 7, 2010
So, after three long years with my Samsung Alias, which I bought before it was popular enough to get the fancy Alias brand name, I am upgrading to the Droid X.

This is my first Android phone and so I am wondering about what the "essential" Android apps are. What finally sold me on switching to Android was the Endomondo sports tracking app. I was contemplating getting a smartphone and a Garmin Edge bike computer, but when I saw a post about Endomondo, I axed the plans on the Garmin and decided to pull the trigger on the DX.

In case this helps people in their advice-giving, I am a cyclist racing in college right now, I have an almost unhealthy interest in everything gadgets/computers/video games (and I suspect I'm not the only forum member like this ;) ), I love sports (hockey, lacrosse, football, basketball, baseball, cycling, wakeboarding, skiing, surfing, etc.), and I love movies and TV (especially Entourage and Californication).

So, with all of that in mind, who's got some good apps that I simply must have once I get my shiny new piece of hardware?

1.handcent OR chomp SMS
2.Dolphin browser HD
3.if your a tweeter, seesmic or twidroyd for twitter
4.google maps. duh
5.every free google application that exists (goggle, skymap, shopper, etc)
6.pandora

games?
1.a rediculously good graphics racing game that your droid x's processor will lol at for trying to make it fail
2.emulators.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones