1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support getting my new SG s3 thursday ....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dan44762000, Jan 13, 2013.

1. dan44762000

dan44762000 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    self employed
    swansea
    am having my lovely new s3 on Thursday and am currently trying to read up as much as i can before hand and it is only making me want it more and quicker but i cant do nothing about that .

anyway i have a few questions ........

is there any point in me rooting this phone an putting a custom rom on there ?
    i had cyanogen 7 once on my htc desire and not only did it extend battery life by 50% but it seemed to be so much faster .

if so what rom would people suggest ?

lastly i have heard about the s3 just bricking and i think if i read correctly it was due to the motherboard ?

what is Samsung position on this ? are they repairing without question ? just need the serial and imei number ?

are Samsung s3 still getting a 2 year warranty ? ?

thanks for any/all replies

dan

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    From one Dan to Another, welcome to the S3. I too used to have a Desire and ran AOSP on it. Infact I developed and released dGB - an AOSP ROM for the desire. Thats how much I loved AOSP.

Now of course I am rooted but as always, I recommend waiting to see if you have a NEED for it before doing it. Some people simply root "just because" then don't know what to do with it. On the desire it was obvious, battery and app space.

Although I know some don't agree, one of the best things about the S3 is the Samsung softeware. They have added so many cool features that going to AOSP (Even Cyanogen) really is a step backwards. Dont get me wrong, the CM team are awesome and add so much to the community but these Samsung features are brilliant.

With this in mind, I would recommend, not only not rooting initially, but also using the s3 for a while before changing to a non-Samsung based ROM. At least get a feel for it first.

In regards to the sudden death issue, see my thread on XDA which attempts to summarise the issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2091045

Essentially, if you have Stock 4.1.2 on it officially, you're surmised to be "safe". If you're rooted with a custom ROM / Kernel, you need to ensure you have a recovery and kernel with the fixes in it.

Samsung's warranty is 2 years in Europe I am lead to believe. Same as HTC's

They will repair it no question, providing they cannot prove it's rooted. Rooting does void warranty. Not sure what they need. Usually its a receipt of some kind. I got mine repaired through my Carrier (3 UK) so I didn't need that. HTC always requested a Receipt if dealing directly.

I would always deal with the carrier if you got it from them though, so they have a record of your faults as they would be in a position to give you something else if you have repeat issues.

Mikestony and dan44762000 like this.
  3. dan44762000

dan44762000 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    self employed
    swansea
    what a excellent reply , that's pretty much covered everything .
    thanks.

i know it is on 4.1.2 as the person i am buying from had that update a while back .

i wont be able to give a receipt as i wont be getting one . its a second hand albeit (2 month) old phone .

i was hoping if it needed fixing i could just give the imei and serial numbers .

i know i can register it on the Samsung site but when it comes to actually making a claim under warranty (if of course i have too ) then i am hoping they don't ask for a receipt .

dan

4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    You could always ask Samsung what their requirements are. They are contactable from their websites.. They may be able to give some insight. It would be a shame that a second had devices loses all Warranty.

5. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA
    I think that if the previous owner registered the phone with Samsung you will not be able to re-register. Also being 2nd hand no warranty for you, sorry.