1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Getting one today, well later today

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droidbaby, Jun 25, 2011.

1. droidbaby

droidbaby Member
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm so excited!! I can't wait to get a hold of the HTC Inspire. Sam's club is selling it at $48. I was able to get AT&T to waive my upgrade fee and put a notation on my account to keep my unlimited plan.

I'm currently backing up my dumbphone and will be restoring it to factory settings, then put in some apps for my dad. I know he'll be excited to get the dumbphone even though it is a hand-me-down phone.

Anyways, looking at all my dumbphone apps... I wanted to know what apps are the best in android phones in terms of:

Craigslist (browsing/posting) I can do paid but prefers to get free. :) I have Craigspro in my dumbphone if this helps with the suggestion. I really loved the app Craigspro but have not seen it the Android Market.

Ebay: Is there an official Ebay app in Android? Dumbphone has numerous so I wasn't ever really sure if what I got was official ebay.

Photo/video editor: I am a heavy user of this. I don't want to pay too much.. maybe up to $3 (I know I'm cheap). I use Iris Photo Editor, PhotoForge, PS Express, and Photo stamp in dumbphone. Mostly, I'd like to cut, put border, change colours, put stamp on my photos.

Games word games, skeeball, battleship, monopoly etc. nothing 3D it makes my eyes hurt.

Anything to Make wallpapers: SOOOO looking forward to this... after the dumbphone that I can barely do anything. SO please any good apps or widgets? Free would be the best too.

Other suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Please bear in mind, this is my first Android phone, no flaming please!:p! THANKS a bunch you guys!!!:D

Advertisement

2. dylando808

dylando808 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    Hawaii, USA
    congrats on your new smartphone!
    android has a pretty good selection of free and paid apps so you will almost always find what you're looking for :D

as for the apps you mentioned

Craigslist (browsing/posting) : i find the Craigslist Mobile app to be the simplest to use for me. and you can search and post ads straight from your phone.

Ebay: the android market does have an official Ebay application and it's free :)

Photo/video editor: many different photo editing options on the market. but my personal favorite is PicSay Pro (there is also a free version). it just has so many features the phone doesn't have (color splash, add text, paint, etc.)

Games:: most of the games i have are paid, doodle jump & fruit ninja. both rather simple but REALLY addicting. my two fave free games are Angry Birds (duh) and Words With Friends Free (and since WWF is cross platform i can play with my friends who have iPhones)

Wallpapers/Ringtones: the best app out there for this purpose is Zedge. thousands of ringtones and wallpapers to choose from. i use it to change my wallpapers every week :p

droidbaby likes this.
  3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    I have a question how were you able to keep an unltd dumbphone data plan for a smartphone? might want to check your account cause that isn't possible to do once you make the jump to smart phone the dumbphone plan isn't valid and they will switch you to the smartphone data plan either 200mb or 2gb.

4. droidbaby

droidbaby Member
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    I called customer service (611) and they set me up. they even waived the $18 upgrade fee for me. :)

I'm going to call AT&T again tomorrow and make sure it is still there. :)

5. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Yeah definitely double check if they some how got the system to override it then good for you. But I have a nagging suspicion that a rep might have lied to you

6. droidbaby

droidbaby Member
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    lol. not sure, the rep in Sam's club was on the phone with some AT&T customer service telling them to give me my unlimited data back that very second. I haven't checked with AT&T myself so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW, I don't think I have the sideloading thing yet. I can't find "UNKNOWN SOURCE". Should I call and have them send me the update too?

7. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Yeah if you don't have that option I would call tech support or go to the att webpage and do the live chat thing

My guess is the sams club person didn't explain that it was dumbphone unltd not smartphone unltd. So here's hoping they don't catch it.

8. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Drafter
    DFW TX
    the eBay app is actually very nice on this phone
    you can even view your own feedback score.
    you can scan a bar code of an item in store and see if eBay has it cheaper
    and you can view some daily eBay deals.

for Craigslist, I just use the browser. The screen is a decent size and works well with Craigslist.

droidbaby likes this.
  9. Black_Cat

Black_Cat Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I got my Inspire at Sams too and was able to keep my unlimited plan when moving from the iTurd.

Don't forget to check Amazon every day for their free "paid" app of the day...after you get the side loading thing squared away. BTW did you go down to settings>phone>update (I think...mine is rooted and doesn't show it anymore). You can have it automatically check for HTC and ATT updates.

droidbaby likes this.
  10. droidbaby

droidbaby Member
    None

Jun 14, 2011

Thanks! I got mine from Sam's club too. I had to replace my phone once because according to AT&T Tech they couldn't push the sideload update. New phone couldn't get the update either. I got fed up with Customer Rep who don't know a thing about their phones and products and Tech Support that won't say anything other than the standard line that they pushed it but they don't know what else happens after they push it. So I used a temp root and got the Amazon App Store. The free app everyday is soooo wonderful!!!

11. goya

goya Member
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    US
    Getting my Inspire today. What is this sideload update everyone is talking about?

12. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama
    Prior to the Sideload Update, we were restricted to downloading apps only from the Adroid Market (unless you went to some lengths by either rooting the device or using the Sideload Wonder Machine).
    To see if your phone has had the update pushed, go to Settings > Applications and the first item should be Unknown Sources with a checkbox. With it checked, you can download from other sources like Amazon's market or even web sites.

goya likes this.
  13. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Did you ever confirm that your unlimited dumbphone plan was switched over correctly?

If so this would be a new breakthrough. I purchased my Inspire the day before it was released at Sams and even the Sams rep knew that an unlimited feature phone plan would not convert over to the smartphone unlimited plan. Unfortunately they upgraded me to the $25/2GB plan but eventually I was able to get the $30 unlimited plan through another avenue.

This could be promising for other new users.

14. Black_Cat

Black_Cat Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    It worked for me. I kept my $30 unlimited plan. You just have to complain that you want to keep it.

15. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    The $30 plan is already an unlimited smartphone plan. The one AT&T says won't change over is the $15 non-smartphone unlimited plan.

16. Black_Cat

Black_Cat Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I would try to push them into it. I was willing to go to Verizon if need be to get it. Remind them that it is cheaper to keep a good customer than to replace you with a new one!