1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Getting Pictures Off of Encrypted SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by steevven1, Apr 28, 2011.

1. steevven1

steevven1 Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    So, I turned on the SD card encryption after the recent software update. It did not encrypt any of the pictures that were already on my SD card (which was weird and unexpected).

Then, I shot a bunch of pictures, and they were all encrypted on the SD card. The only problem is, when I connect my phone to my computer as a removable device, the pictures remain encrypted (unreadable by the computer) even with the phone unlocked.

Is there any way to transfer these pictures to the computer other than emailing them one by one from the phone? It seems silly that the phone wouldn't decrypt the data on-the-fly for the computer. There has to be a way to read the SD card, unencrypted, from a computer...

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

2. rosygreek

rosygreek Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    anyone? I'm having the same issues. Thanks.

3. Adamos

Adamos Lurker
    None

Dec 20, 2011
    same exact problem, but with a Droid X. Can't find an answer anywhere

4. edadave

edadave Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    Not a great answer, but take a look at the sharing options in the Gallery app. I have the same problem and have started to experiment. I can for example, email one picture at a time to myself - tedious but working. There are AllShare, Wireless, Bluetooth and other sharing options from Gallery that may be useful. I expect to try more this week. Anyone else finding sharing from Gallery to be helpful?

5. edadave

edadave Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    Solutions I've gathered from elsewhere:
    a. On Verizon, use Backup Assistant. Media will go there, free for the first 500MB, then available for download to PC.
    b. Use Google+ although this may reduce the resolution of your photos.
    c. Other apps may work similar to the solutionsabove, like Dropin.
    d. Install application Touchdown to protect your corporate email. At least my IT dept says with this, they don't need to encrypt the SD card. I'm not sure the best way to get here if your SD card is already encrypted.

Hope one or more of the above helps.