1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Getting rid of update popup?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by daniel178, Sep 23, 2014.

1. daniel178

daniel178 Member

Hello,

I am using a rooted (stock) G2. I upgraded (via unrooting then re-rooting) to 4.4.2 a while back when it came out. Then, all of a sudden, yesterday, my phone started downloading MUC 6.4.1.5_E02 (which I thought was old by now). Now, it keeps asking me to install it -- which I cannot because, of course, I am rooted. How do I either: (a) just get rid of/disable this update from installing, or (b) should I install it, which would, again, require un-rooting then re-rooting. Is MUC 6.4.1.5_E02 important/cool/necessary? What is it exactly? Is it what's mentioned here?

My phone is currently using:
    Baseband:
    VS98024A-M8974A-AAAANAZM-2.0.20046
    Kernel:
    3.4.0-perf-gdf89a11
    lge@android-build
    Build:
    KOT49l.VS98024A
    Software ver:
    VS98024A

No custom recovery.

Thank you!
    :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Get Titanium Backup if you don't already own it. Use it to freeze "System updates MUC 6.4.1.5_E02".

You may or may not want to clear the contents of /cache/fota following the freezing of the app as the OTA likely resides there waiting to be applied. Also note that some G2 users have experienced a situation where the update applies itself after a certain number of refusals on your part. This can be a bad situation.

Do yourself a favor and don't wait around on this.

3. daniel178

daniel178 Member

How do I do this? Why would I not want to clear it?

(oh, and: is there anything noticeable in this update?)

4. iowabowtech

Once the udpater MUC app is frozen, it MAY clear itself after a reboot since we're talking about cache. I'm not sure but somewhat guessing that could be the case. Otherwise, use Root Explorer or similar root enabled file explorer and navigate there and delete if still present.

Here's some info on the 25B update though it looks like you may be 2 updates short. Not sure what the other one did or what it was named:

Verizon LG G2 Receives Update to Get It Ready for VoLTE Launch | Droid Life

5. daniel178

daniel178 Member

Hmmm.... maybe I'll try it. I'm aware that I probably have to restore my original Wireless Hotspot app, but do you know if I have to temp unroot as well?

6. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Guy
    VIP Member

If you install it,It very well may be the final update for your phone.
    I got the update from at&t about a week and a half ago,And had to unroot and update,Then reroot.

7. iowabowtech

Depends on what you've done to alter /system in any way. Restoring stock hotspot app would be the first thing but so often people make other changes and forget about it which could cause issues. Got Xposed? Running any modules? Anything frozen or removed with Titanium, etc.

Worth a shot but you may end up restoring stock, updating and re-rooting as AMOCO mentioned. It's hard to weed everything out sometimes.

8. jinjerrs

jinjerrs Lurker

I just did the update accidentally and now my phone will not boot past TWRP... :( what do I do?

9. iowabowtech

10. daniel178

daniel178 Member

What is the best way to temp un-root? I see an option in SuperSU, but it says "permanent unroot." I want to just temporarily unroot for updating purposes, then go right back. What's the best way to do this?

11. mayur9890

mayur9890 Lurker

even i did root and tried to delete or freeze updater apk....did wor for me

LG G2 Forum

The LG G2 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews