• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting robocalls and spam calls?

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    I was - a lot of them. In fact, a huge percentage of all mobile phone calls are now spam and robocalls.

I found an app called nomorobo that will block most of them. Peace at last!

It's free for landline phones... mobile phones are $1.99 a month. For me, it's worth the money to not be bothered by calls from local numbers, only to answer them and be told that my vehicle warranty is about to expire*.

Just make sure that, after any system update, you check to make sure this app is still the default. I think a lot of the negative reviews are because the update restored the phone as the call screener.

*- if I'm in the mood and get a spam call, I'll press the button to be connected to a human. And mess with them

:D

[QUOTE="The_Chief, post: 7965082, member: 26635" if I'm in the mood and get a spam call, I'll press the button to be connected to a human. And mess with them:D[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately when you do that it confirms your number as "live" which will result in more of those calls.
    The best course of action is to reject the call, if it's actually legit they'll leave a voicemail. Well sometimes the spammers leave voicemails too (automated of course) but you can just delete those. I'd rather do that than spend $2/month.
    The carriers have been filtering a lot of them out, I don't get nearly as many now as I used to although one will sneak through occasionally.

Upvote 0
    @Fox Mulder Yeah, I know. I always advise people to never press any option on those stupid calls to "be removed from the call list" - because that will ADD them to a thousand more. However, every once in awhile the ol' Chief likes to get all up in their stupidity, so I click through to a human being. Since I end up annoying them to the point they hang up on me, I'm not sure they're flagging my number as a "live person who will respond" - although if there's a "live person who will respond and treat you like a horse's a$$" list out there, I'm likely on it with stars by my name.

:D

For $1.99 a month, I just do not answer calls from unknown numbers as well as no caller ID calls. I can't see paying a third party for this.

That's great....if you don't need to take the calls that will work for you. However, I volunteer in several different circles of influence and get legitimate calls from non-contacts all the time. In my case, it's worth the money.

Reactions: Dannydet
    Upvote 0
    nomorobo still allows the phone to ring one time, and that is once nomorobo has the number in memory.
    And these scammers have an unlimited amount of numbers they call from, by 'spoofing' the caller ID.
    So you will be endlessly entering numbers into the nomorobo memory- after they have already disturbed you.

I have a Wi-Fi number to give out, and the notifications are off for that app.

I check in with the app every day, so that is when I see the calls and messages.

My regular cell number is plagued by the teleterrorists relentlessly, and has been since I got that number.

Blacklist Blocker works great, blocking any call or text that is not in my contacts. There are other options for the app, but that is what works best for me.

Blacklist Blocker (Block unwanted calls and/or SMS) - https://f-droid.org/app/com.kaliturin.blacklist

My voicemail will still answer after so many rings.

Generally, when I give out my regular number, I expect a number back in return- as I explain the situation as it is. I ask for the number that would be used to call me, and enter it into my contacts.

Let's not kid ourselves here- few people are actually taken by the scams the teleterrorist calls offer, when compaired to the number of fradulent calls placed.

By far the vast majority are just hang up calls perpetrated to harass, unsettle, and annoy.

Yes, these calls are a genuine form of terrorism.

Laugh if you want, but go ahead and ask one of these callers if they have ties to any terrorist groups- or if they are one themselves.

You very well might get to see under the veil as to what the true purpose if these calls are.

And don't think for an instant that the phone companies don't know what is going on, or where these calls are coming from.

There is no one you can even call for help.

When someone calls you ten times in a day, and then you ask them why they are terrorizing you and then they threaten to kill you and your family- actually had a couple that said they were going to blow my house up- and you call Comcast, then the FBI- and they all say nothing can be done- I even made CDs of some of these calls for evidence- the FCC wasn't interested in the least...

Oh, then there is that useless thing called the Do Not Call List.
    There is a Federal one, and another one for each individual state.

Yes, they are all less than useless.

The scammers get those lists, and use them to make calls- because they know that they are working numbers.

I kept detailed records that proved that the scam calles literally doubled in frequency after I put the home phone number on the lists.

So for us, nomorobo is much, much more hassle than using Blacklist Blocker and explaining why you need the number of someone that you give your number to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones