1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

== Getting Started == Moving from Nokia to Samsung

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ronnie_ronnie, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ronnie_ronnie

ronnie_ronnie Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    Hyderabad - India
    Hello All...
    I had been using Nokia E61i for 4 years now and moving to Samsung Galaxy Pro .. (Pls dont diss Gal Pro as its a gift).. Though I got the new phone a week ago, am yet to get started and hence need expert opinion/help. Please be aware, I dont understand hitech-lingos and steps. So help me with simpler ways :) ..

1. Transfering Contacts: All my contacts are currently saved on 512mb MicroSD card on Nokia. How do I transfer them to 2GB MicroSD of Galaxy Pro

2. Text Messages:I have some 2000 texts messages which are very special. How do I transfer them from 512mb MicroSD card on Nokia to 2GB MicroSD of Galaxy Pro

3. Rooting: I read a bit about 'rooting' on this forum. As much as I understood, I guess it applies to those handsets which is under contract with a specific Telecom company. But here in India, such thing doesnt exist. Do I still need to 'Root'. If Yes, then Why and How

4. Transfering Pictures/Videos: I hav e some 3 videos and 4 music files. How do I transfer them from 512mb MicroSD card on Nokia to 2GB MicroSD of Galaxy

5. How to get started with Apps: You can figure, I know very little about apps. So need help here.. But first of all, I assume, an app for Facebook or Twitter primarily means I need not keep on refreshing it like I do on Nokia through GPRS and all notifications, tweets gets updated by itself periodically.. Am I correct..?

What I wanna know is
    (a) Twitter : Currently on my Nokia, I cant 'Reply All', Edit/add something when I Retweet. On Samsung, is it possible, If Yes, then how
    (b) Facebook : How do I get a Facebook application where the notidicarions pop-up by itself like it happens on laptop
    (c) Whats App: So I can chat with a person who is on my contact list of phone book..? How do I add them, will they appear as the way I have saved their names or the way they have the phone connection registered.. (Ex: A person by name Sam Gibson is saved as Sammy on my phone book, how would he appear)

6. E-Mails:I need to set-up my Yahoo Mail. Would it work like push-mail as in Nokia.. How do I go about it..

I am sorry, I asked too many Qs.. Just that all this is holding me up from using the new phone.. I feel am better off using my defunct Nokia as far as I can which is stupid..

I dont wish to lose any of the contacts, texts and media files

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I moved from a 5800 to Galaxy SL, so same things will happen to us.

1. Contacts are easy. Simply connect your phone to PC/Ovi Suite and sync to Outlook on your PC. Now from there you have two choices. If you want to keep your contacts on the phone, sync to Outlook using Kies. If you want to have them up to Google Servers, sync Outlook to Google using programs like GContactSync, and your phone will automatically download the details.

2. Text messages - I did not transfer text messages, but what you need to do is to export messages via PC/Ovi Suite. If I remember correctly this will produce an xml file. These files can be restored to your phone via an app called SMS Backup Restore. One thing is that when you see these SMS on your phone, they will not be in the traditional Nokia inbox/outbox/sent folders. They will be in conversation mode. If you want to see the folders, you have to download and install something like GO SMS and enable traditional folders.

3. Rooting is not related to carriers. Its about being able to grant superuser access to certain apps. Some apps will not work without root access. For example Titanium backup can only work with root access. You need root to make a full backup of your phone, including app and market data.

4. Connect both cards to PC, then copy the movie and music over to the new card.

5. I see that you also did not have a rather up to date Nokia phone. Newer Nokia phones than yours like the 5800 I had or the even newer N8 have twitter and facebook apps that auto-refresh. I use Tweetdeck app on my phone to manage my foursquare, facebook and twitter feeds. There is also a Tweetdeck application for PC and Google Chrome, so you can try it if you want. Basically the Android app and the PC app work exactly the same way anyway, so you can see if you like it.

6. Yes you can set up Yahoomail, however not sure if it will work as pushmail. Nokia user continuous sync, not push mail. This wastes too much battery, so Android uses periodical sync. Basically you it checks for email via a defined interval. You can get an app like K9 email to handle push email for Yahoo though, if you want. I would however suggest to make a Gmail and try to transfer to that as well. You need a Gmail account configured on the phone to activate it, and to be able to access the Android App Market. The Gmail app in the phone is able to use Gmail for true pushmail.

3. thedosbox

thedosbox Guest
    None
    Sidebar: my HTC Incredible S allowed contacts and text messages to be transferred over bluetooth. There was a wizard that allowed me to select the model of phone, pair it with the older phone and voila. I'm guessing this is not a standard android feature?

[edit] I guess not: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/89464-importing-contacts-nokia-phone-galaxy-s.html

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Nokia phones that were produced more recently do have a "phone transfer" app but it only works for Nokias. HTCs I'd think would work with all HTC's regardless of OS, but for HTCs only.

Yes he can also use Kies/HTC Sync, but that would depend if their IT department would allow its installation too, just like for Go Contact Sync and Google Calendar Sync.

5. thedosbox

thedosbox Guest
    None
    To clarify, I used the the HTC app on the Incredible S, and was able to transfer contacts from the Nokia E71 (it was listed as a recognized device) over bluetooth. No Nokia software was involved.

Seeing as he's using yahoo mail, I doubt that an IT department is involved. Plenty of people use Outlook as a PIM. No need to introduce the complication of pushing contacts to the cloud and hoping the fields map over properly.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

LOL. The last bit about IT department was entered in the wrong thread. LOL.

7. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    TMO lets you save contacts to the card or the SIM. I just shoved the same card from a C6 into a Samsung Galaxy 3 and everything was there. Just had to change the ringtone file. Used the same card in the SGS4G. I just transferred all the stuff to a larger card.
    I don't use Lookout, and despise OVI. PC Suite wasn't bad, but I didn't like OVI wanting to back up everything. All the ebooks, mp3s and stuff it wanted to back up, I had already backed up on the computer anyway. So I didn't need OVI.

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

You need Ovi or PC Suite to transfer the Contacts and Calendar to Outlook, and from there to Google. The problem with SIM cards is that they only save name and number. If you have notes and email and pictures attached to the contact, it wont go to the SIM Card.

I have a lot of stuff on each contact, and important stuff in the calendar, so using SIM card to transfer is worthless (at least in my case, as thats how it is with sim cards in my country).